SAU Community

Todays Catch Can

Craved

Nice work Chris! Just thinking if it's worth fitting another two baffled plates, on either side of the existing one, spaced about 5mm apart, with the holes offset, to ensure the mist just doesn't pass through.

As i have no ABS in my 33gtst, my mechanic has fabricated a baffled catch can in the ABS location. It too is drained directly into the sump and vented into the intake. Will post pics once car is done, probably in a couple of months.

Nice work Chris! Just thinking if it's worth fitting another two baffled plates, on either side of the existing one, spaced about 5mm apart, with the holes offset, to ensure the mist just doesn't pass through.

As i have no ABS in my 33gtst, my mechanic has fabricated a baffled catch can in the ABS location. It too is drained directly into the sump and vented into the intake. Will post pics once car is done, probably in a couple of months.

That is probably a VERY good idea.

although it is a little late for that, it will be done with any more i make, this is still a better catch can than most off the shelf ones like the trust units which are just an open can.

i'll be getting the fittings for this tomorrow, so i'll get it welded up and powdercoated by the weekend.

Second pass over alloy bead, I'm assuming that u mean with out filler.

I have done this when I messed up welding some 3mm to 10ish mm alloy in a vert fillet, It didn't look nice enough went over it and it still looks shocking.

Flattens out all those lovely ripples.

Second pass over alloy bead, I'm assuming that u mean with out filler.

I have done this when I messed up welding some 3mm to 10ish mm alloy in a vert fillet, It didn't look nice enough went over it and it still looks shocking.

Flattens out all those lovely ripples.

thats exactly what i meant, and that news wasnt what i was hoping for ;)

Looks good, what thickness filler did u use?

I should get off my butt and have a go at making one of those RIPS style catch can/washer bottle combos

got plenty of 3mm plate but aint got plenty of spare time.

to be honest i dont know the thicknesses of the filler

only got 2 sizes available to me, so i used thin - maybe 1.2mm for the walls and thick -2ish mm - for the fittings.

Turns out that sandblasting the part does some funky stuff when you try to weld over it, wasnt working well with the thinner filler today.

to be honest i dont know the thicknesses of the filler

only got 2 sizes available to me, so i used thin - maybe 1.2mm for the walls and thick -2ish mm - for the fittings.

Turns out that sandblasting the part does some funky stuff when you try to weld over it, wasnt working well with the thinner filler today.

What are u sandblasting with? It is possible to embed contaminates into the aluminium.

I've managed to contaminate the stuff with a file (somebody borrowed it and was filing some old rusty steel) that I neglected to check/clean.

What are u sandblasting with? It is possible to embed contaminates into the aluminium.

I've managed to contaminate the stuff with a file (somebody borrowed it and was filing some old rusty steel) that I neglected to check/clean.

i only blast with Garnet (sand) so it wasnt contaminated (no black spots like you would get with the steel from another file)

it affected the way the base alloy would melt, just seemed to take longer which meant that the weld ons where at the point of melting where the base wasnt.

hard to explain since i havent done any formal training in welding.