SAU Community

Todays Catch Can

Craved

Hiya,

Catch can i fabbed today.

3 inch tube split in 2 halves, then adding 80mm flat section to expand the volume and allow for weld on fittings for the hoses.

Has a hole in the base to allow for drain back into the sump.

Has internal baffle to for oil mist to collect on inner baffle, didnt use the metal scourer stuff in the stocking as the oil drains back into the sump so if anything would happen to the stocking or scourer it would end up in the sump..

here are a few pics of it so far, its blasted ready for the powdercoating

yet to do :

Weld on fittings for breather lines and drain back

Powder coat it

post-5157-1198916920_thumb.jpg

post-5157-1198916935_thumb.jpg

post-5157-1198916948_thumb.jpg

post-5157-1198916960_thumb.jpg

post-5157-1198916992_thumb.jpg

post-5157-1198917017_thumb.jpg

post-5157-1198917056_thumb.jpg

post-5157-1198917107_thumb.jpg

nice work mate, cant wait to see it finished...

I just want you to make me a copy of all of this stuff your fabbing!!

haha soon soon, i havent touched a welder in a few months, since the one i was using went back to its owner :)

this particular catch can has given me some ideas on the internal workings of the washer bottle catch can in one. so hopefully i can get one of those working soon.

hehe funny you mention the washer bottle/catch can combo...been wanting 1 of those for a long time now...

here's some pics of 1 if you need any ideas

JaysR33038.jpg

JaysR33039.jpg

JaysR33040.jpg

JaysR33041.jpg

JaysR33056.jpg

JaysR33057.jpg

JaysR33058.jpg

JaysR33060.jpg

I'd definitely be interested in one of those if you got around to making 1 :devil:

Edited by **JaR**

AHAH!!!

the hardest part of it was seperating the 2 parts, now on theirs they make 2 cans and then weld them together ..

that should make it easier, just uses more material.

Cheers for that JAR

Dont forget that in a road car the catch can cannot vent into atmosphere, hence no filter at the top.

yep thats right Charlie.

1 in - 1 out and the drain.

The Rips style would be a little messy to plumb back, but not impossible

Edit : that R33 pictured is setup wrong all together :D - kinda defeating the purpose

last pic, rocker cover still connected to the intake pipe.

lets it draw air from the filter on the catch can, plus would let oil mist go that way as that would be the easiest path for it - rather than going through the catch can first

last pic, rocker cover still connected to the intake pipe.

lets it draw air from the filter on the catch can, plus would let oil mist go that way as that would be the easiest path for it - rather than going through the catch can first

yeh i noticed that too, if that pipe to the intake is blocked it would be okay yeh?

yeh i noticed that too, if that pipe to the intake is blocked it would be okay yeh?

yep, that little one that loops over

still lets some air into the plenum if you leave the pcv open though- only on idle though

yep thats right Charlie.

1 in - 1 out and the drain.

The Rips style would be a little messy to plumb back, but not impossible

Edit : that R33 pictured is setup wrong all together :blink: - kinda defeating the purpose

Actually that pipe is a bit of a trick lol, i had nothing to block up that breather with so left the standard pipe that normally goes to the intake pipe on but blocked up the end of it (the hole in the intake pipe was blocked up aswell ofcourse), i have since got a rubber cap to block off that breather.

Thats my car by the way :), basically my setup is just the two breather pipes coming off the cam covers going into the RIPS catchcan, everything else was blocked off, my setup is illegal in aussie from what ive read but you could always just weld another fitting onto the catchcan and run a hose with a pcv/one way valve back to the intake manifold to make it legal over there, would be easy enough.

You can see in these pics how that breather was blocked off

100_2066.jpg

100_2070.jpg

Edited by nizmo_freek

ahh yes

tricky tricky :blink:

few little extra additions in there now too - nice

hehe, cheers :), should have another new addition in there soon, ive got a hks 3037 pro s turbo kit on its way from japan :D

Edited by nizmo_freek

• 2 weeks later...