SAU Community

Brake Upgrade

I am wanting to get started in a bit of track day action but would like to upgrade the braking system on my r33 gts25t. I have seen that DBA are now making a 2 piece slotted rotor. Basically i wanted to get some feedback on how much of an imporvement a set of 2 piece rotors and say bendix Ultimate pads would give over the standard R33 brakes. Also what type of brake fluid is the best for street/track applications? (brake fade sux).

How far can you go perfomance wise with the standard calipers before a new calipers would be needed? which is a quite expensive option.

Im still running std calipers, but use good fluid and braided lines.

When at the track i use an R compound tyre so is nice and grippy and in turn stresses the brakes even further.

Im only sporting mild bolt on engine mods and have found the factroy brakes work a treat. My only downfall was thinking half worn pads would get me thru a day at the track. I was wrong and in turn ruined a set of front rotors.

So for this reason i upgraded to one piece 330x32mm front rotors just to cover future mods.

So, unless the front rotors need replacing, my thoughts are save your money until they need replacing as they will serve you fine in the meantime.

As for pads and fluid, i have found RB74s from Race Brakes, and AP DOT5.1 fluid do the job fine for me.

Originally posted by Roy

So, unless the front rotors need replacing, my thoughts are save your money until they need replacing as they will serve you fine in the meantime.

My thoughts exactly...

My car doesn't pull up anywhere near as good as what another guys does and he is using the standard GTS-T brake kit and im using the DBA's. He just 'knows' how to use his brakes in a better fashion (yup their is alot more to it then just pushing your foot down).

The standard Rotors are damn good for what they are worth. The only thing im not too sure about is how much heat they will generate on 5x 7 Lap sessions (I didn't make it that far coz i was using the standard fluid).

As for pads and fluid, i have found RB74s from Race Brakes, and AP DOT5.1 fluid do the job fine for me.

Don't even bother attending a trackday without using brand new DOT5.1 brake fluid. I live basically about 5 streets away from the Eastern Creek track (with a 20km Motorway inbetween those streets) and after 3x 7 Lap sessions I cooked my DOT3 brake fluid and barely made it home alive (lucky i only had 4 sets of traffic lights to contend with, anymore and i woulda been using the handbrake to stop).

So my conclusion of a first time trackday attendee would be:

* DOT5.1 brand new brake fluid

* Bendix Ultimate or better pads (depending on your bank balance)

* Don't try and break any records on the first day

* A nice helmet and a mate to have a day full of fun.

Dont trust Ben, i think he works for a major brake fluid manufacturer.:D

Or is it the simple case that after some serious fade at Eastern Creek he knows better then anyone how it can ruin a good day at the track, or worse cause it all to end in tears.:(

You sure you dont want those tyres Ben, i know a vet, he can hook you up with a certificate from a doctor, well kind of.:)

Originally posted by Roy

You sure you dont want those tyres Ben, i know a vet, he can hook you up with a certificate from a doctor, well kind of.:rolleyes:

hehe i paid Bob Jane T-Marts $1.50ea to take away my old tyres today (Bought a brand new set of Michelin Preceda's and damn they are nice).

I woulda kept them except well... a set of tyres is useless to me when they dont have rims, besides the tyres were just not built at all for any trackday use and my laptimes were showing it.

I did a small finance ordit this arvo and im basically broke now for 3mths. So I can't see myself driving around a track until Xmas but by then it will be a whole new ball game. (Oil cooler, track tyres, etc).

Cool, im penniless too at the minute, but a boy needs to still have his fun.

So much so that im going to work this Friday/Sat/Sun even though im on holidays and was going to go to Wakefield on Saturday. If they want to call me in from my holidays and pay me double time... well the money wont go astray.

Oh, and Bleach you coming to Eastern Creek on the 24 July? Get those pads and fluid so you too can lap my speed limited R32:(