SAU Community

Half Cage Install

sidewayssam

bolt in i think, going to look at it tomorow, wanting it to be legal

you will definately need to call your local RTA office and discuss the requirements for a bolt in cage, it may not be legal at all, even with it a bolt in.

you will need to get it engineered as well, so maybe call a local engineer to find out what they need to pass to give you a blue slip for it.

im going to be buying a half cage for my r32, ive looked in the diy/faq thread but cant find anything on installing them, has anyone got any pictures or have any information on how to install them

Hey,

I have just finished putting a half cage in my 33..it may help..mine is road legal with a engineers certificate.

Scotty

YcopY

post-10743-1200371107_thumb.jpg

post-10743-1200371125_thumb.jpg

post-10743-1200371145_thumb.jpg

post-10743-1200371163_thumb.jpg

so thats all bolt in?

is it now a 2 seater?

which state are you in? do you have any details on what was required eg . distance from head to bars, mounting point specs etc that you can share?

Hey,

I have just finished putting a half cage in my 33..it may help..mine is road legal with a engineers certificate.

Scotty

YcopY

That cage is bolted to the inner wheel arch!! and can also come into contact with the head in a crash!!! Your engineer is a very brave man (or stupid)

That cage is bolted to the inner wheel arch!! and can also come into contact with the head in a crash!!! Your engineer is a very brave man (or stupid)

Arent all bolt in cages like that though (to the inner wheel arch)?

Im with you about the head clearance, that looks pretty tight there!

Cheers

Ric

Arent all bolt in cages like that though (to the inner wheel arch)?

Im with you about the head clearance, that looks pretty tight there!

Cheers

Ric

if your head can come into contact with the cage (or padding) its illegal...end of story...engineered or not.

so thats all bolt in?

is it now a 2 seater?

which state are you in? do you have any details on what was required eg . distance from head to bars, mounting point specs etc that you can share?

Yep its now a legal 2 seater, Im in NSW, i have to Code of practice for car modifications some where here on my PC, Pm me your email address and i will send it over to you.

Dirtgarage

yes its botled to the inner arch, as the cage was made up by the boys at bond roll bars this is where i was told it was to bolt to, it does have a dirty big bit of steel as a plate under it as thats what the COP for car modification states. But i do understand your point about using the chasiss rail. They are removable rears so i can change that.

I do agree the head clearance is a little tight in that pic but with the seat in its forward position (which is my driving position) it meets the clearance requirements just....

Cheers,

Scotty

check the online cams manual. It was updated 1.1.08 to specifically say non-approved cages can only be used if the scruitineer for the event is OK with it, ie if you strike a dickhead they can ban you. they have been discussing this clarification in rules for years so watch out.

bond can provide the compliance details as long as they built it to the rules

is it a cams approved cage or not? bond know what they are doing, but if its not approved you can get knocked back by scruitineers at any cams event. And I don't see the point of a cage if you are not going to hit a track?

Duncan,

When i ordered the cage i told bond that the car was being setup to drift (competitevly) and this is what i was given. the cage is functional not for show...that would be just wankkie...

Im downloading the cams manual now so i will have a read through it.

Well..After having a read of section 6 - schedule j and re talking to bond it appears to be ok with cams..but im not 100% sure. is there somewhere i can take it to get checked?

Sorry to hijack this thread..

Edited by chippagti