SAU Community

Half Cage Install

sidewayssam

chassis rail my friend...a lot less flex. An inner wheel arch is a single layer of thin sheet metal. Ive also see 1st hand how easily an inner wheel arch folds up in a crash.

:) umm practically all jap bolt in cages are bolted to the inner wheel well.

its not a difficult task mate, the cage is made for an r32 so its only going to fit in a specific way.

best thing to remember is if it doesnt look right it probably isnt.

test fit 500 times. drill once.

gl.

legal for what?

a jap bolt in cage will not be legal for circuit racing, in fact they probably wont even let you run events that *dont* require a cage

There is some verbage in the new CAMS manual (2008) to the effect that if the event you are in does not require a roll cage then they cannot knock you back for having a non compliant one. Unless, ofcourse, they regard it as being a danger.

schedule J of the cams manual

"9. NON-COMPLYING SAFETY CAGES

In cases where the type and/or status of the event does not require an automobile to be fitted with any form of safety cage, the use of structures which do not comply with these regulations is permitted unless the scrutineers believe the structure to be of unsafe construction."

ie....the event's scruitineers can knock back a non-approved cage. In this case you would be OK with no cage, but not a non-approved one. Just be careful thats all, all you need is one difficult scruitineer and you could be knocked back

• 2 months later...
ok cheers for the help guys

i got 6 point full cage wit intrusion bars in my 33 by bond roll bars, full engineered and done 2.5 yrs of supersprints and other cams events, never been knocked back or questioned. Even cops approve of it when ive been pulled over in it, stating they think its a good idea to have. my 2c

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to have a cage that still allows access to the rear seats, and easy access into the vehicle? I want to put a cage into my next car eventually and use it for various racing, but I want to keep it practical as a daily. Am I just dreaming again?

There is a pdf file on the QLD transport site regarding the legality of roll cages. I think only half cages are able to be approved?? but still have to have a mod plate. Your car will have to be re-registered as a 2 seater. The pdf also says about no sharp points, and something about it having to be padded?

Should be a similar document from other states transport authority...