SAU Community

Skyline dreams shattered

oh yeh, forgot, u're mostly living on the rev limiter, errmmmm, dammm......... well, at least it's fun..... well at least we can watch it on espn now right? how did u find out all this info? i'm frequently visiting america, so i could catch one of the events live, if possible

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by akeenan

yes i own a gts-t

i dont want to go into the details too much but its rather simple.

less air = less power.

as long as you can prove that your car is under the power to weight ratio like i can and as long as you can back up your new power to weight figures with some kind of a power chart/ dyno tuners signatureand stamp with some simple mathematics everything is legal.

Not intimately familiar with the regs (great idea btw. Only a small step towards making the roads safer) *waits for flames from 17 year old Schumi wannabe's*

I can't see any insurance company being stupid enough to accept a dyno printout as proof that your car complies with a flywheel power/weight ratio. How hard is it to fiddle dyno figures people?

All you have to do is go to your local freindly dyno shop and say "I'd like a low power reading thanks" Just a tweak of a few parameters, and voila - an underpowered GTSt.

As I said, I'm not familiar with the legislation, and am not calling you a liar, akeenan. I just think it's very naive of an insurance company to accept that kind of evidence. I sure as hell wouldn't like to be in the firing line and find out the truth the hard way.

Oh, and drifting as a motorsport? Oh puh-leeeez! Drifting is to motorsport what synchronised swimming is to the 1500m freestyle.

pfft drifting competitions - gimme a break!!

It's as much a motor sport as drag racing. It's not in the same class as the Le Mans 24hr or Nurburgring 1000 (that's the 1500m freestyle, right?) but it's more fun than holding the accelerator flat for 15 seconds without steering... Each to their own.

I suppose you go out on the weekend and use your WRX like it was intended? On forest dirt roads? Give you a break? I haven't met a Rex driver worth giving on to...

Originally posted by Sonic

It's as much a motor sport as drag racing.  

My point exactly ;)

So nice of you to stereotype me as a WRX wanka. Thank you. (you know nothing about me, do you?)

Absolutely correct, I haven't had the WRX in the forest "like it was intended" Unfortunalely my budget won't allow me that luxury (had to be satisfied with a Datsun 1600, and later a GP N Charade). I did take it to Morgan Park yesterday for a track day though. Managed 4th fastest for the day. I got killed by 2 seriously modified GTR's, but managed to dispose of 2 modified R33 GTSt's, a clubsport and a few other interesting cars. Not bad for a porky, ugly duckling MY02 stocker, hey?

By the way, Sonic. great ride you have. The old Prince Skylines are a classic. I'd love to have one of them in my stable too. Pi$$ed off that I missed out on buying 4 of them for $5k 8 years ago:(

Ok, so when the cops fine you, you just run the car to the RTA's handy weighbridge and engine dyno, after they remove, test and refit your engine and set the car up to factory weight you get off?  

Bullshit mate.

you are backing your argument up with your own opinion. Just cars is not a relaxed insurance company either. I dont need to do any of the things you state because i have 100% proof that my car is below 125kw per tonne..... this proof is in my car at all times

For insurance I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but no way would driving that car be legal under the power:weight rules.

this isnt rocket science you know, the rule is it must be 125kw per tonne or below, it doesnt matter what car it is it just has to meet these specifications...my car is 160ish at the fly wheel....this is legal.

what is so hard to understand about this....just because you disagree with something doesnt mean you a right....i am right ive done it, ive spoken to all the "appropriate people" and that is that.

I can't see any insurance company being stupid enough to accept a dyno printout as proof that your car complies with a flywheel power/weight ratio. How hard is it to fiddle dyno figures people?

it isnt a dyno print out i have in my car its a laminated contract between several parties in the motor industry stating that my car has be detuned and does comply with the 125 rule. it states exactly how the detune has been achieved. and exact description of the device used to decrease the power, where it is located etc etc. it also has the original power output before and after restriction. everything had to be 100% before anyone would sign the contract. assuring that it is 100% accurate.

a copy of this was faxed off to the insurance company and i have insurance...because it is legal.

thankyou....

Guest superted

Nothing is bullshit ok! Just because you could do it doesn't mean jack shit! Ok heres an example Toyota Supra has 168Kw Max right? How does a P plater manage to drive it on his P's? Hmmm that must be illegal too hey?

Originally posted by superted

Nothing is bullshit ok! Just because you could do it doesn't mean jack shit! Ok heres an example Toyota Supra has 168Kw Max right? How does a P plater manage to drive it on his P's? Hmmm that must be illegal too hey?

Not sure what model supra you are talking about, but with most of them hovering near 1600kg, then 168kw would easily be legal.

And, Akeenan, well ok then, if the insurance companies and cops are in agreement with you, well, I concede defeat, so sorry If I offended you, but, well, to be frank I smelt bullshit-must have been the wind direction :P

cheers,

floody

Just cause you have insurance doesn't necessary mean its legal.

Remember insurance is a business as well and they are in it to make money. What better way than charge you a premium then when you claim, they pull the "disclosure" clause then deny your claim.

They walk away with all the 1000s of premiums paid, and tell you its too bad, it is up to you to check whether you are legally supposed to be driving the car or not.

And, Akeenan, well ok then, if the insurance companies and cops are in agreement with you, well, I concede defeat, so sorry If I offended you, but, well, to be frank I smelt bullshit-must have been the wind direction

thats cool dude no hard feelings at all. trust me, i woudlnt be driving the car if it wasnt legal ive got more then enough evidence to prove the legality of the situation. anyways back to the original post :mad:

Originally posted by Xeaon

anyone know how much insurance would cost for a 17yearold on a non-turbo skyline? I read around $1500~ this correct? for full cover.

Nope! im 19 and paying $2500 for a non turbo! thats with famous they were pretty much the only place that would insure me BTW i have a clean record

Back to the start of this thread -

anyway liquid85 i reckon wait a while, i didnt want to wait and now i sorta regret it not that my car isnt good but i would rather pay the extra coupleof hundred dollars in insurance for a GTST hopefully ill b upgrading soon anyway:D