SAU Community

New Race Track For Nsw?

Chris-06R

Ok, this is just a rumour I've heard, I wonder if anyone else knows anything else about it...

The rumour is Gary Wilmington has left wakefield, bought some more land nearby at Marulan, and is building a driver training facility. The plan is that this will eventually be turned into a full race track, based on the old Amaroo circuit.

Discuss...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both are true but are different rumours.

Gary's new place won't really be a full track, short kind of like Oran Park south and more focusses on driver training. Initially at least it won't be CAMS approved racing circuit. Think more like Sutton Road but new and closer to Sydney.

And Mr Oran Park has committed to replacing it with another track (towards Camden last I heard). No firm date on when yet but l hope that comes through - it will be a full proper race track.

Also, MG Car Club Newcastle have recently gained approval to build a track next to their existing hill climb track. Not sure of how big that will be either but its also great news.

And finally, Bathurst is being opened to more events - last year it was used as full track 3 times (super taxis, easter 12 hours and the full track supersprint). It is likely that in 09 onwards a round of the NSW circuit racing champs will be held there as well.

Its a great time to see all these people trying to get things off the ground. Gary is the closest and has his funding ready so its pretty certain. Hope he's spoken to the drift guys about what would suit them too.

Thanks Duncan, you're always in the loop it seems :P

And yes, its great to see Bathurst being used more regularly - Will be used in 2008 by FOSC around easter for a race meeting as well, which is further evidence of the changes.

I say Bathurst should become Australia's Nurburgring; arrive, pay your 100 bucks, and go whatever speed you dare in what you brought...

that would be nice but the 50 or so people who have their driveways coming off it may not be so enthused by the idea. I'm not sure how they'd cope in the morning trying to pull out of their driveway into the path of a pagani zonda hauling arse up mountain straight.

as for sydney tracks, I'm still sulking about oran being demolished. and I'll believe the existence of it's replacement when I see it. fark, if it doesn't happen I may have to move to victoria or japan just to get some choice of circuit.

The days of Mt Panorama being a mountain road used as a temporary race track are long over, kick out the wanna-be farmer hillbillys and make it a dedicated circuit and watch how fast the town grows with the additional income.

I'm pretty sure Wakefield was bought by QLD Raceway (or a QLD based driver training company) and the first thing they did was re-surface it. They now want to add more facilites and make it more driver training friendly (they approached my mum whom is a -police driver trainer- to run it all).

Mr Wilmington is the uncle of a friend of mine, will have to give her a call and get the gossip sorted out.

The gossip will not be made public for some time.

Venue No.1 The new circuit between sydney and wakey is just about finished actually :)

Duncan is correct that it will not be a full race circuit for some time but I can tell you now we will be driving on it very soon.

Forget about a replacement for Oran as it is not going to happen. Tony who owns the place is really sick again (cancer) and his kids could not give a stuff about motorsport.

Venue No.2 My boss has 108 acres at Badgerys Creek and it is DA approved for a Driver Training centre. We are just sorting out the funds so we can start building on it very soon.

Venue No.3 Oh yes there is another venue which is going ahead.lol about 5 minute drive from my house. I have been involved a little with this one. It is on 100 acres and will be another Driver Training venue.

excellent John, I hope the driver training setups allow for something slightly larger/quicker than just a skidpan as well. We used the venue down at Sutton Rd for an event last year and the combination of big dry skidpand and a little track was a real winner.

Oh yes

Venue No.1 The circuit is actually complete. From what I hear it is around the 2k's in length and has skid pan facilities.

Venue No.2 Luffys venue will have a track of around 1.9k's with skid pan.

Venue No.3 Pretty much the same as Luffys ie 1.9k track and skid pan.

John,

wow!!!

Thanks for the goss mate!

So you think autosports will have a few days out there now when their finished?

Good to see more facilities coming up - great news!!

any "inside goss" for venue 1 - location etc?

:)

Cheers!

Chris

(p.s. thanks again on saturday for taking the mrs out for a few laps!!!)

Oh yes

Venue No.1 The circuit is actually complete. From what I hear it is around the 2k's in length and has skid pan facilities.

Venue No.2 Luffys venue will have a track of around 1.9k's with skid pan.

Venue No.3 Pretty much the same as Luffys ie 1.9k track and skid pan.

are they going to be like the race track style where you can go nuts in the corners without worrying about slamming into the armco? or is it like a road course with trees and the works and one mistake will write your car off kinda thing?

Thanks for the info all.

I was hoping we would be getting a proper race track to replace oran when it closes, but 3 driver training tracks are a reasonable compromise.

But 1.9kms.... EC's straight is about that ;)

Also, MG Car Club Newcastle have recently gained approval to build a track next to their existing hill climb track. Not sure of how big that will be either but its also great news.

Still in land and Environment court Dunc's, but court has ruled opposition submissions to be dismissed. Just tying up a few loose ends before full approval is given to begin construction...its a 3.5klm circuit and international grade dragstrip.

Motorplex are funding it to the tune of 20 Million for 1st stage.

Its going to be big!