SAU Community

Trust Power Extreme 2 Problem

delljit

Just fitted a catback exhaust and the pipe is tapping the diff when i shake it (go over bumps, driveways etc).

Any one had this problem? Do i have to adjust the hangers somehow? Any quick fixes for this like a heat resistant rubber stopper i can block up the gap between the diff and the pipe with?

ok this may sound a silly question it is the one suited for the skyline? The hangers you may be able to locate stiffer ones(mounts the rubber ones), prolly best see you local exhaust shop and ask them as they might be able to quick fix it for you or point you in the right way, Part from that as far as i know i dont think you can put rubber (as i dont think there is anything capable of high heat) inbetween dif and the exhaust as it would be too close to the metal surface of the exhaust and would eventually melt burn etc.

The ole saying fix it once fix it properly comes into mind there as well... Someone might have a better solution but the hangers might be the best bet, which will most likely be exhaust shop at the end of the day, it shouldnt be all too much to get fixed anyway

I left it high res so you can really see everything. I circled the little bit that taps. There is about 5mm clearance, however the exhaust is able to move when you apply a bit of force. Very noticeable when you change gears and the car is moving.

post-38346-1200814335_thumb.jpg

i was thinkin my blitz exhaust has not just the weld on the outside where the hangers are it has one on the inside as well.. yours looks 2 be sliding down the hangers a bit which is bringing it closer to the diff... soo maybe just get something on there to hold the hangers in the rite spot it should give u a bit more clearance... when i go on dirt road my exhaust bumps against the top of my rear bumper its kinda annoying too but nothin i can do about it...

hope that made sense good luck

it shouldnt really move around that much though? i dont even have the bracket above the cat its held only by the front pipe and the rubbers and it sits tight.

when you removed the old one, did you remove the bolts or just pull the hangers out of the rubber? it may be that you put a bolt on the wrong side somewhere.

my advice; see if you can just bend the hangers with a big shifter (no need to remove exhaust) so that it sits a bit better, but trust exhaust on my 33 was perfect

only unbolted one of the rubber hangers, which happens to be the one you can see in the pic. The other ones didnt unbolt, but we took them off to get everything off the stock muffler easier. Im pretty sure we idnt mix them up, but i dunno. That hanger pictured is a little stretched, i might just try replace them all with new universal rubbers. Otherwise if that doesnt work, its bending time.

other than that tho, the exhaust sounds nice :P

Edited by delljit

I left it high res so you can really see everything. I circled the little bit that taps. There is about 5mm clearance, however the exhaust is able to move when you apply a bit of force. Very noticeable when you change gears and the car is moving.

post-38346-1200814335_thumb.jpg

i remember the day when my exhaust was that shiny :ph34r: .... then about a week later it was all gone... now a year later... its definitely all gone :)

on the actual topic though. very strange you have movement in the exhaust. when mine fitted up it was seriously tight and wasn't going to be moving anywhere

you need to fit it all up then tighten the bolts or else it wont fit up str8, imagine a bit out at the cat (both F & R bolts) then a bit more out at the centre join and you are gonna be prety close to anything. loosen the lot off then nip it enough to move it into position then tighten.

i 100% know it is in the positioning not the exhuast..... i have never had one not fit and we have sold container loads ....

you need to fit it all up then tighten the bolts or else it wont fit up str8, imagine a bit out at the cat (both F & R bolts) then a bit more out at the centre join and you are gonna be prety close to anything. loosen the lot off then nip it enough to move it into position then tighten.

i 100% know it is in the positioning not the exhuast..... i have never had one not fit and we have sold container loads ....

Hmm, now that you mention it join in the middle section of the exhaust didnt have circle holes for the bolts they were oval. I had a closer look at the flange and it might be 1 or 1.5mm out. The cat section looked ok, but then again they were circle holes if i remember corectly so i doubt it wouldve been out any.

Will put the car on ramps again tomorrow, loosen the bolts and try to align it differently. Also got a couple of new hanger mounts to try out.

I had exactly this problem.. turns out, it was front pipe being 3-4cm too long. So what I did was had about 3-4cm lopped off the cat .. if you can picture the cat.. looking like |==[ ]==|... then afterwards it was |==[ ]=| ... it then sat 100% perfectly. As mentioned above.. it's definately not the exhaust it's the positioning.

I had exactly this problem.. turns out, it was front pipe being 3-4cm too long. So what I did was had about 3-4cm lopped off the cat .. if you can picture the cat.. looking like |==[ ]==|... then afterwards it was |==[ ]=| ... it then sat 100% perfectly. As mentioned above.. it's definately not the exhaust it's the positioning.

did you use a local aftermarket cat? i know the stupid xforce (all nissan) ones are based on aussie s15 cats and they are 3-4cm longer than the jap ones which are all the same size.

Didn't pay much attention, I bought the cat from the forums. But i knew for certain the front pipe i had was too long, it was bought again from a sponsor here and didn't mate up to the original cat + cat-back. This problem was later recognised and the subsequent batches i believe for the r34 benefitted from my input.