SAU Community

Changing Gearbox Oil And Alignment? Help!

jonny8ball

Had a full service done to my 97 rs4 auto but need to do a oil change the gear box! As we dont have alot of stageas in ireland I need some info on how to go about changing the oil.

Were is the drain located? :)

Is there a dip stick for the gearbox? :)

How much oil does the gearbox take? :banana:

Also getting some Tein suspension fitted :no: and would need the alignment done but dont have any specs on what this would need to be :) does anyone have the specs or ones they would recommend????

All info would be gratefully appreciated and photos if ya all have any!

Cheers Jonny.

I am no expert on this but i am pretty sure the auto gearbox fills from the dipstick hole.

and I am pretty sure ( I think Dale - Aka StinkyRooster ) mentioned that to drain the gearbox you need to undo all the bolts on the cover under the gearbox or something like that.

in regards to the alignment specs.. have a search around the sticky threads in the stagea area

there is one very good one about suspension in general and the group buy thread for stagea suspension has some good info in it to :banana:

Oh and I'm Irish :banana: *

*an irishman who has spent maybe a grand total of 2 weeks in ireland - but my passport is irish!

I am no expert on this but i am pretty sure the auto gearbox fills from the dipstick hole.

and I am pretty sure ( I think Dale - Aka StinkyRooster ) mentioned that to drain the gearbox you need to undo all the bolts on the cover under the gearbox or something like that.

in regards to the alignment specs.. have a search around the sticky threads in the stagea area

there is one very good one about suspension in general and the group buy thread for stagea suspension has some good info in it to :D

Oh and I'm Irish :) *

*an irishman who has spent maybe a grand total of 2 weeks in ireland - but my passport is irish!

Fills thru the dipstick??? can anyone tell me if this is true? someone out there has to have replaced there gearbox oil on there s1!!!!

Fills thru the dipstick??? can anyone tell me if this is true? someone out there has to have replaced there gearbox oil on there s1!!!!

should be a square plug that sticks out, on side of box, fill it up till it overflows out.

I wouldn't use those settings. Toe in on the front just makes them understeer, toe in on the rear is unneccessary as they don't have HICAS. The rear negative camber is a bit excessive at just over 1 degree. The front negative camber is not quite enough at 0.5 degree, should be around 1 degree. As with all Stageas (and Skylines) there isn't enough caster at 3.3 degrees. Plus the split left ot right is not enough to stop the drift to the left.

Cheers

Gary

I wouldn't use those settings. Toe in on the front just makes them understeer, toe in on the rear is unneccessary as they don't have HICAS. The rear negative camber is a bit excessive at just over 1 degree. The front negative camber is not quite enough at 0.5 degree, should be around 1 degree. As with all Stageas (and Skylines) there isn't enough caster at 3.3 degrees. Plus the split left ot right is not enough to stop the drift to the left.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks for the advice, I didnt have much say in what they used, i made suggestions, but they did what they wanted anyway. Ive been waiting until i fit the 2nd set of camber bushes in rear so as to get the camber down below 1, then ill get everything corrected, ill take onboard your suggestions. Would you recommend 0 toe all round for normal street use ?

One thing though, The front camber is close to 1 degree, not 0.5 as you say, as the units are degrees/minutes/seconds ie 60 minutes in 1 degree.

What do you mean by split left to right ?

Thanks for the advice, I didnt have much say in what they used, i made suggestions, but they did what they wanted anyway. Ive been waiting until i fit the 2nd set of camber bushes in rear so as to get the camber down below 1, then ill get everything corrected, ill take onboard your suggestions. Would you recommend 0 toe all round for normal street use ?

One thing though, The front camber is close to 1 degree, not 0.5 as you say, as the units are degrees/minutes/seconds ie 60 minutes in 1 degree.

What do you mean by split left to right ?

So dont use those setting??? Has anyone got the right setting or ones everyone thinks will do the job!

So dont use those setting??? Has anyone got the right setting or ones everyone thinks will do the job!

As per the Stagea Suspension threadp;

Front toe = zero

Rear toe = zero

Front camber = 1 degree negative

Front caster = as much as I can get, but I it is never enough

I always run a little more caster on the left (~0.25 degree) to stop the drift due to road camber.

Rear camber = 0.5 degree negative

Cheers

Gary