SAU Community

P Plater Help~

TomtOm

hey guys/girls my name is tom, and I'm new to this forum

anyways~ i need helping regarding the NSW P plater Laws. At the moment, I'm driving a R gt(non turbo =D), as I'm going for my greens, i was thinking about changing it to a R gtr, but I'm not quite sure if green P plater are allowed to drive turbo charged cars, if not what is the penalty if i was caught driving one?

and also, could some one tell me how much it cost to get the quarter panel replace, got a big dent in mine=\

thanks guys (hope I'm posting in the right section)

Not worth a risk at all especially when NSW cops are targetting P platers now.

Now? You mean there was a time they weren't targetted? :P

The legalities of you driving a turbocharged car is purely determined by when you got your red Ps. If you got them before the laws came in, then you are able to drive one legally. If you got them after, which I'm going to guess is far more likely, then your not able to drive one legally, unless you do a RD30 conversion and put a deisel engine in your car, which lests face it no one is going to do.

Your cheapest option would be to keep what you have until you get your full licence then get something. You might even be able to get something a little better around that time :P

hey guys/girls my name is tom, and I'm new to this forum

anyways~ i need helping regarding the NSW P plater Laws. At the moment, I'm driving a R gt(non turbo =D), as I'm going for my greens, i was thinking about changing it to a R gtr, but I'm not quite sure if green P plater are allowed to drive turbo charged cars, if not what is the penalty if i was caught driving one?

and also, could some one tell me how much it cost to get the quarter panel replace, got a big dent in mine=\

thanks guys (hope I'm posting in the right section)

It's not worth it, trust me.

I got a $397 fine at 'the entrance', and if you are going for your Greens now, you will definately not be able to drive turbo.

I got my greens 'literally' just after the law, and didn't check before buying my old car and paid the price.

And you may not be as fortunate as me to not loose any points.

ah cheers guys ~

but the thing is, I'm scared that the value of the car would depreciate, because i got it for K in really good condition, and i chucked a sound system in it, if i fix up the little bumps and scratches in it, I'm hoping 2 sell it for bout 17ish... if anyone would buy it. and i should be able to get a R with that money... but i don't know what it would be like 3 years from now.... =\=\

Thats the problem dude.

N/A 34's have depreciated so much in the past few months.

But then again, so has every car.

You could count your losses now and sell it tomorrow as is, and then buy a run-around and cruise in that for 3 years or whatever and get a GTR (will be even less then what they are now).

Or keep it.. and bite the bullet when you go to sell it.

Now? You mean there was a time they weren't targetted? :huh:

Funnily enough, yeah. But it was about 10 years ago.

I once semi-accidentally (it start off as an accident, but I kept it going) pulled a big powerslide in front of an unmarked, and got let off with a warning. If I tried that now, I probably would have gotten "shot while resisting arrest" or something.

+1 for brett

wait for the new gt-r to hit australian shores then buy a r34 gt-r. they will be dirt heap compared to what they are now i rekn.

I don't think they will drop that much in price (although, I do hope they do, I wouldn't mind being able to fund some late '90s GT-R action :)) as I see them becoming somewhat of a collectors item. The last high performance car to don the "Skyline" name and also the last car to use the RB engine (although, I'm only assuming on that one...). Also you get people out there who believe that the good old H-pattern style gearbox is superior to the R35's DSG one.

Enter this thread. But be warned, it will eat away at your IQ as you get further into it :)

Also consider insurance.... Ive looked at gtrs for next year when i get off my p's and the insurance is like 3grand through just car. But pretty much, if you drive a turbo with a plate on it your gonna get pulled over at least once and aked to pop the hood.

7points? thats a green p platers license gone and some isnt it? how many points do green p platers even get?

Ive looked at gtrs for next year when i get off my p's and the insurance is like 3grand through just car. But pretty much, if you drive a turbo with a plate on it your gonna get pulled over at least once and aked to pop the hood.

Thats if you've got a good record. When I bought my GTS-t I still had my green Ps and my insurance is a little more than $3,000.

As for being pulled over... I've only ever been pulled over twice, once in a R31 Wagon taking a shortcut through a restricted area and once speeding in my Subaru Liberty. I've been followed in my Skyline but never pulled over... must be lucky I guess...

Either that or the police think my car is a naturally aspirated car because it doesn't have the manditory front mount intercooler and aftermarket exhaust :cheers:

Thats if you've got a good record. When I bought my GTS-t I still had my green Ps and my insurance is a little more than $3,000.

As for being pulled over... I've only ever been pulled over twice, once in a R31 Wagon taking a shortcut through a restricted area and once speeding in my Subaru Liberty. I've been followed in my Skyline but never pulled over... must be lucky I guess...

Either that or the police think my car is a naturally aspirated car because it doesn't have the manditory front mount intercooler and aftermarket exhaust :cheers:

Luky you... lol...

the cop actually changed his route and overtook 2 cars to get behind me...

for a supposedly "Random breath test", when i got busted. hahaha

From the household P plater:

It depends on when you got your P1 licence.

Befor 01 May 2005 & havent had any suspensions or loss of licence you may drive anything you wish.

After 01 May 2005 you are restricted to what you can drive but you make seek an excemtion(spl) from the RTA for the sum of $40 if this car is your only mode of transport to & from your place of work.

Hope it helps

Krystal :teehee: