SAU Community

Want To Get More Power.

Hey i've got a r33 with a rb25 in it, im thinking about pulling it out and putting a rb26 in. Just seeing if anyone thinks if its werth it, or if its better to do up the rb25.

Cheers.

i blew my RB25 + turbo a few months back, and just now ive got it back on the road. i bought a replacement RB25 package, that came with bigger turbo, injectors, fmic, plenum etc etc. up and running now it cost me $6000 parts and labour ($1300 of which was just to fit the damn fmic) but its goes hard now, bit laggy, but shitloads of top end. 240kw at the treads running 16psi, and i would expect a 12.7 or possibly better 400m.

so yeh could be an option for you, i can even make some money back by salvaging parts off the old motor!

id say a stock RB26 + bits would cost you upwards of $5000, plus $3000 to fit. for maybe 180rwkw or thereabouts. but you could sell your old 25 to make some $$$ back. but youre still some 60kw short of where i went... something to think about...

oh and my avatar is my new donk :thumbsup:

dude search rb25s people have built, go through cars for sale etc. Can easily make 300kw safely which is more than enough, good for a mid 12. RB26 is a waste of cash unless u want a monster, better off selling and buying a gtr if your thinking of going that route, then you get better brakes, suspension, seats, and 4wd.

Im seeing the light. The main thing i don't want from the car is lag. I just want it to be quick and responsive for the street, so i came beat any comidor off the lights. haha :thumbsup:

oh my car is laggy as fudge. which basically means its not good for getting sideways etc. off the lights you can launch it with barely any wheelspin, and then it just hooks up and keeps going. you just have to keep the revs up to it. will destroy any commo/ford, unless of course they are heavily modified too.

its great for drag racing. not so much for mucking around in.

response and top-end is a compromise. you cant have both. well from a limited budget anyway. :blink:

oh my car is laggy as fudge. which basically means its not good for getting sideways etc. off the lights you can launch it with barely any wheelspin, and then it just hooks up and keeps going. you just have to keep the revs up to it. will destroy any commo/ford, unless of course they are heavily modified too.

its great for drag racing. not so much for mucking around in.

response and top-end is a compromise. you cant have both. well from a limited budget anyway. :D

Dude,

If you have 240rwkw your turbo cant be massive, so it shouldnt be THATT much laggier than stock. do you know what sort it is?

-Dragonforce

Dude,

If you have 240rwkw your turbo cant be massive, so it shouldnt be THATT much laggier than stock. do you know what sort it is?

-Dragonforce

its a kkr430 running 16psi. its not enormous by any means, but when coupled with a rather large fmic and a big plenum, doesnt help. it doesnt get much power until 5000rpm, and really takes off at 5500.

its going back for a final tune in a few weeks, i would like it to be a bit more usable. its A LOT laggier than stock. the first thing i noticed, put my foot down in 2nd and nothing happens. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwhirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrROARRRRRRR PT-CHHH!! hahaha

its not so bad now because i am learning to keep the revs up to it, but when you change gears there is more lag than before too.

I just want it to be quick off the mark, heaps of fun to drive and be able to drop it back and take off. What sort of a bugget did you think i wond need?

if you have no mods whatsoever, i would say exhaust first, pod filter, injectors, wastegate actuator. all fairly simple, and decent power gains, 170-190rwkw for $2000-3000. then you can look at bigger turbo, intercooler, plenum, engine management, clutch, fuel pump, bov... for more serious power. probably up to 220-250rwkw for another $4000-7000.

it aint cheap. but most things you can get 2nd hand if youre not too fussy. just remember, the poor man pays twice. i replaced my stocko clutch 7 months ago, and now i need a new one for my new level of power.

if you can, have a drive of a modified skyline, and see how you like it.

Mate if I were you I would just do bolt ons with supporting mods and go for 400rwhp. With a correctly sized turbo it shouldn't be "that" laggy.

My mate is putting a rb26 into his r32 and going single turbo at the same time. He's budgeting somewhere between "10 - 15k" and he is doing alot of the work himself, and in the end he is still limited to about 450-500hp because the engine will still be stock.

I want a show car but i also want to bae adle to pop the hood and show people its not just a show pony.

Are you going to throw a bucketload of money at the engine as well as fitting it?

If not, the fact that you wasted money fitting a stockish RB26DETT instead of doing up your existing RB25DET would tell people that you're driving a show pony.

I just want it to be quick and responsive for the street, so i came beat any comidor off the lights.

The fastest stock Commodore available is the HSV E-Series GTS at around 13.2s. Getting an RB25 powered R33 to do a high 12 shouldn't cost as much as doing a complete engine conversion. According to the Time Slip Registry, this guy ran a mid 12 with 215rwkW. Other people are telling you that you can get that power, or more, for less than the cost of dropping in a stock RB26.

And "any Commodore" is a pretty wide swathe. There are some insanely fast street-driven modified Commodores out there.

However, "responsive" and "turbocharged" are two mutually exclusive things. Especially when you start dialling up the power and boost. If you want a powerful engine with instant throttle response, get a V8.

its a kkr430 running 16psi. its not enormous by any means, but when coupled with a rather large fmic and a big plenum, doesnt help. it doesnt get much power until 5000rpm, and really takes off at 5500.

its going back for a final tune in a few weeks, i would like it to be a bit more usable. its A LOT laggier than stock. the first thing i noticed, put my foot down in 2nd and nothing happens. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwhirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrROARRRRRRR PT-CHHH!! hahaha

its not so bad now because i am learning to keep the revs up to it, but when you change gears there is more lag than before too.

ouch, im running the bigger version kkr480 and i make 19psi by around 4600rpm or there bouts...

i think u have ur adjustable actuator rod 2 loose which makes the kkr turbos laggy as hell... tighten it back up, the kkr430 should make 1 bar at aruond 3500rpm... mmm

build up the 25. for the price of a 26 install you could have a darn fast 25.

as far as i know the kkr turbos are only bush bearing so they will have more lag than a ball bearing. UCD15R33 has a 3076r (which is a touch bigger than a kkr480) on his 25 and it spools up pretty well and it spooled up pretty well, even with 1 cylinder that turned out to be stuffed.

if you get a good ball bearing turbo that is overkill you should get good repsonse as well as top end power. and as has been said, you can always go the rb30 bottom end to pic up low down power.