SAU Community

R34 Gtt Gear Box And Diff Oil

hulk

Does anyone know which gearbox and diff oil is good for the Skyline R34 GTT. My car has done about 44,000 km and it is very hard to change into 2nd gear. So I suspect it could be the gearbox and diff oil that needs changing.

I am also confused with the fact that people are saying the R34 have LSD, I thought only the R34 GTR got LSD, not the GTT right. Can anyone verified?

Thanks

i use redline gear box oil, it worked well on my gear changing problem " crounchy on 4th if im reving up high in a drag or somethin".. its a lil expensive about 120 ish but its good stuff. can only try.. it has fixed a few friends problems too but sometimes it dosent..

good luck

i use redline gear box oil, it worked well on my gear changing problem " crounchy on 4th if im reving up high in a drag or somethin".. its a lil expensive about 120 ish but its good stuff. can only try.. it has fixed a few friends problems too but sometimes it dosent..

good luck

I have the same problem in my 32.. Changing down at high RPM from 5th to 4th it crunches no matter what.. 3rd to 4th is fine under any conditions..

It currently has the lightest gearbox oil..

besdies from changing oils to this redline juice.. any other ideas on what it could be?

Cheers..

lol.. sorry.. I think I hijacked your thread..

share the love :P

Yep, just went down to the local auto shop and they are selling those for a whopping $172 per US Galon. Wow, so expensive. Anyone know where I can find it cheaper in SA? or any online dealer?

damn thats expensive but much cheaper than opening the gear box to try n rebuild it or sort out the sinchro problems.. or even worse leaving it crunching n chipping out ur gears... just shop around performance shops get it a lil cheaper usually :P

• Like 1

The gear hasn't started crunching yet, but I feel that 2nd gear is just a bit hard to get into unless you match the rev closely, but other gears seem fine. The problem is bit worst in cold engine but gets better when its warmed up.

Yeh, thanks for the advice guys, I will try shop around a bit more.

no, no slipping yet. Just not smooth from 1st into 2nd gear. When you get into gear it works fine.

Thanks for that bigslick, definitely got much better price there. I will probably get in contact with them to hook me up with about 5 litres. Should I flush the gearbox before changing the oil? or is that not necessary? My car has done about 44,000 km (supposively) when I bought from dealer about 1 month ago.

Edited by hulk

does a r34 take 5 litres of gear box oil???

I know the r33 takes just under 3.8 litres...

In regards to the oil, assuming the r34 and r33 is similar just undo the bottom plug on the gearbox and drain out all the oil. SHould be good enough. THen undo the one on the top side and fill her up using a pump of some kind....

Dont forget to seal the plugs... the screws should be taperd to prevent leaking but a little bit of sealant wouldnt hurt =) and saves u wasting v. exp gear box oil!!! :cheers:

yep, just getting 5L just incase. If it doesn't use up that much I just save it for next time.

But how about flushing the gear box? Do you guys ususally flush it everytime changing gearbox oil?

if so, any recommendation?

i didnt flush mine, i just let it drain for a good 30-40 mins...

Dont forget to clean the magnet on the drain plug. SHould have alot of metal on it from all those "miss gear changes" and such.

Just received the Redline lightweight shockproof oil. I got 5 litres just incase if the diff needs it too.

But after reading some threads regarding the redline oil damaging the gearbox, I am bit hesitant to put it in now.

Because it seems for some reason, these couple of days the gears seem to change smoother. Maybe the damn heat wave in Adelaide is causing it, or maybe because my old HKS suspsension was a bit too hard and the car bounces around too much causing the gear to be harder to change to. Now I got the Tein SS it seems to be smoother.

So I think I will hold off for a few weeks and see how it goes first before putting the new oils in.

I put redline in on the weekend, feels like shit dont use it.. might work if your gear box is rooted but if its not feels like shit.

Oh and R34 GTT is LSD, got mechanics to check they said yep!

err... ok, another user with bad experience with redline. I guess I just leave it for now, and pour some other in there until my gearbox is bit more worn.

How many KM's you done on ur R34 Decim8