SAU Community

Xr6 Turbo Front Mount On R33 Gtst ?

hi

im in the market for an intercooler very soon, and after having a good look at our xr6 turbo front mount, i thought that it might be a good idea to get one and use it on my r33.

The main advantage that i see in using this is that you keep the stock intercooler pipes in the engine bay, you dont need to cut a hole in the chassis for the usual front mount kits, and it keeps your piping short = better response, plus you dont get cop attention when you pop the bonnet.

Now i know that the xr6 front mounts have the inlets/outlets on the oppoist side, but that can be fixed by just turning it the right way, and gettin sum custom pipes made up to attach to the stock ones....

just an idea i had, let me know what you guys think/has anyone done this before?

cheers

i see no need to over-complicate it and modify an intercooler to suit another car/application

you can buy intercooler kits for $500 supplied & fitted these days from most workshops that support skylines

yeh i understand that, i just want to keep the stock intercooler pipes, and im not that keen in cutting the chassis for the aftermarket intercooler pipe.

plus stock pipes = better response for the standard turbo only running 11ish psi

R34 GTT stock intercooler is good for about 220rwkw.

that's more than your stock turbo will ever want to make.

they cost about $150.

they are a DIRECT bolt on to the stock R33 intercooler position.

and they are a fair bit thicker than stock.

in the future if you decide to change the turbo, sell the cooler for $150 to some other Stock R33 owner.

nothing to lose.

much to gain.

i was thinking of this, but i was a little concerned about how they would handle the heat on a hot day

you still have to use the stock duct to the cooler right?

R34smic for an easy swap over or do like your saying with the xr6Tfmic.

also,where abouts in sydney are you and where do you plan on getting the custom pipe work made up?

i was thinking of this, but i was a little concerned about how they would handle the heat on a hot day

you still have to use the stock duct to the cooler right?

They handle it fine.

also, I doubt very much that you feel like thrashing your car on a hot day. FMIC or SMIC..

Yes stock duct. or get the duck with from the R34 and modify slightly to fit.

you could prbably also setup a water spray for it and still come out cheaper than buying an XR6t turbo and having some new mounts, and custom pipes made.

and it wil lbe even more responsive than the XR6T cooler setup due to even shorter pipe and smaller volume of intercooler to fill.

up to you though..

your money/car/time... your choice.

For stock turbo, there is no need for a FMIC of any kind.

R34smic for an easy swap over or do like your saying with the xr6Tfmic.

also,where abouts in sydney are you and where do you plan on getting the custom pipe work made up?

south sydney - shire

we know afew aluminium fabricators that can bend/weld aluminium etc

just get a big front mount with the return piping design. blitz make them...

when u decide to get 250+ kws u wont need to change.

thats another thought...

off topic but what % tints do you have? looks awesome

cheers

Don't bother with the ford cooler! I did, lasted about a day and I decided it looked bloody shit house. Get a blitz. Trust me. :ninja:

The R34 cooler is good enough, unless you have a bigger turbo. No need for a FMIC otherwise. Been their done that. Lag city. don't do it!

i think if a car is setup properly and tuned properly you can get better gains out of a std off the shelf 600x300 FMIC over the a smaller side mount core in the side mount location with the std turbo.

i think the main issue with the SMIC is heatsoak once it gets hot and lack of space / ducting to direct airflow through it properly when its on the side and tucked away. i think and this is only theorising that the fmic mashed bang smack in the middle and with a larger core provides a better heat drop across the core and yeilds and better heat extraction. yes this is a noticable throttle response loss if you fit a FMIC and do no other changes (of course, you increase the inlet volume).

but if you the tune the car and increase boost etc the gains outweigh the loss in throttle response once setup correctly

But you can get a safe 190-200rwkw out of the SMIC (limit of stock turbs). Maybe if you do a lot of track days FMIC is the way, but for street driven 99% of the time R34 cooler = cheaper, better response + less hacking to your car. May sacrifice 5-10kw of peak power but depends on your goals.

Edited by benl1981

The OP made no mention of current mods.

So I will assume that he does NOT have aftermarket ECU or any sort of signal bender.

so.

to get the best out of a FMIC as you say Paul, he should have it tuned.

so at least $200 to buy a first gen SAFC with blue screen and 1000rpm increment load points.

Free to install if you can read instrauctions and follow diagrams.

$150 tune minimum.

this is on top of a Minimum $350 ebay special FMIC kit.

then the associated bits you would need to get from bunnings like hole saw etc.

or pay for some place to do the instal for you.. couple of hundred there.

and what do you get in the end?

MAYBE about 5kw difference at the wheels over just replacing the stock one with an R34 GTT one.

it's cheap to buy, and then sell at the same price in years to come to another person looking to upgrade the cooler while using stock turbo.

But hey.. if a FMIC is a must for street cred, then by all means.

having said all this, if I bought a car with a FMIC fitted, I wouldn't remove it..

I just wouldn't go from stock to FMIC with stock turbo.

im probably gonna go the r34 smic route for my r33 but it has me thinking for the future; is it tough/expensive to get the engine bay hole engineered?

im THAT GUY, the one with bad luck who always gets caught out, asked to answer somethign first in class, buy something and it goes wrong etc etc so the legalities of the front mount are what concern me.

At that stage (bigger turbo and supporting mods) are you really savin much by going the greddy/hybrid piping style compared to the blitz return style?

You could probably get a generic intercooler like the just jap ones, pay $50 to have the drivers side end tank outlet modified to be a return type.

then new piping made from there to the stock piping.. essentially making it the same as the blitz piping route.

wether this makes it as good as a blitz intercooler is another topic of discussion all together..

but if "on the cheap" is what you are after when wanting a FMIC using stock pipes, that is the chapest way.

or maybe you could find a second hand BLITZ or even AVO kit.

im THAT GUY, the one with bad luck who always gets caught out, asked to answer somethign first in class, buy something and it goes wrong etc etc so the legalities of the front mount are what concern me.

Haha, well im the other guy pulled over in front of you, when the booze bus guy waves his f_king orange light saber around :)

Iv seen whats required to get a chassis hole engineered, just a brace around it. Like two rings, shaped to the whole size, top and bottom; bolted together.

Best to check with the engineer that would be doing it, for what he will pass.

You could probably get a generic intercooler like the just jap ones, pay $50 to have the drivers side end tank outlet modified to be a return type.

then new piping made from there to the stock piping.. essentially making it the same as the blitz piping route.

Thats my plan but with a smaller core then the big 600x300x76.

Thats why i was interested to see how the OP goes with the XR6Tfmic.

Either way,keep us updated.