SAU Community

Dyno Result! Skyline R33 25t

After shockingly noticing my stock boost gague almost reachng the +7 mark under "spirited" driving conditions, i decided that after doing the hard reads over the SAU forums, being the nub that i am with turbos, that close to 1bar wasnt the best boost to run on a stock R33 turbo ;)

So when the next Dyno day was organised in my area, i though it be a good plan to get a proper boost plot done over the entire rev range. Yeah, i could have bought a boost gague, or borrowed one but i didnt want to buy a shit one just to test it. Plus IMO its a little difficult to see whats going on when your driving. ;)

So anyway, on the Dyno for the 1st time. Wish i had have gotten it done in OEM form, then after each mod, but i didnt, so lets not worry :)

1998 R33 GTS25t

52,000km

HKS Silent Power Catback Exhaust

3" JJR De-Cat pipe (gotta love NZ)

3" JJR Split dump/front pipe

R34 SMIC

Apexi Power Intake

Stock "hi-boost" mod

SkylineDyno.jpg

Boy was i shocked when it crept up to, and surpassed 200rwkw. I was expecting high 180's-low190's. As that seemed to be the general result of previus R33's.

Ignore the stains, it deiced to rain later that day, i was excited with the result, but not THAT excited :yes:

And, the real reason for the dyno, the boost.

11.19PSi @ 5895rpm. I had decided that if it was over 11psi then i would do something about it, as i did NOT want to be at, or very close to the stock "limit" of 12PSi on such a low km turbo. Wanted it to last a little loonger! But im happy with the .19 extra. So here it will stay.

Boost plot pic wont show properly, so a brief description...

Dam does it spool quick, 8PSi by 2000rpm, then a steady creep up to 11.19PSi all the way to 6000rpm.

It hit speed cut on the dyno hence the sharp power drop, and a good foot worth of flame out the tailpipe. Ha. Love the RB.

Pretty happy with the result overall :)

Edited by gotRICE?

Just a small point of correction. Stock ECU doesn't actually have a boost limit...It has an airflow limit which is slightly different. The ECU doesn't even get a boost or MAP input...It looks at the maf (mass air flow) signal instead and if this gets too high it retards timing etc etc etc. The limit is also a function of rpm. As long as your air flow meter is in good condition and there are no leaks between it and you compressor inlet (ie extra air can getting in without the air flow meter registering it) you are pretty safe...Stock turbos get unhappy running above 12psi all the time though and will eventually give up...

Also the factory boost gauges are notoriously inaccurate..Get an aftermarket one...

Anyway glad you were impressed in breaking the 200rwkW mark...

.Stock turbos get unhappy running above 12psi all the time though and will eventually give up..

Yeah this is what i was more aiming at, what most people consider the stock turbos boost limit before it gets tissy :yes:

maybe i worded it poorly.

I'm a bit confused on a few things...

1) getting nearly 1400Nms?

2) If you hit speed/limit, how come it still goes past 7000rpms after hitting that limit? Looks more like a power/time graph ?

Anyways, anywhere around the 200rwkws is great, i know what it feals like (got the 98' too champ ;) )

I did a dyno run for the exact same reason as you too, and at the same level of mods.

Stopped at 12(ish) psi and got 196rwkws i think?

Now go get the Power FC and watch the smile on ya dial get even wider :yes:

LoL, you sound like a ecstatic new Skyline owner, or import owner :yes:

AWESOME to see someone happy with their car, its usually "f_ck me dry, my shits cutting out, dropping boost, using too much fuel etc"

Ride the happy wave ;) You only get desensatised, jaded and bored from here on in ;) :0

I'll be the first one to say it. I think your dyno might be a bit "generous", 213rwkw with stock management is a bit high imo. Also you say you did the high boost mod, that only atkes it to 7psi all the time correct? Unless you have a boost controller you cant go past that level, so is it really stock boost?

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just a bit confused.

Enjoy driving it either way!!

"They see him Rollin... They Hatin..."

theyseemerollinkt1.jpg

why all the hate..

let him have it..

stock boost controller mod might give you 7psi, but the intake and exhaust mods (especially the decat) will increase that again.

maybe his ECU has been fingered while in it's homeland.

I'm a bit confused on a few things...

1) getting nearly 1400Nms? Divide it by the final drive :(

2) If you hit speed/limit, how come it still goes past 7000rpms after hitting that limit? Looks more like a power/time graph ? No idea :yes: Thats just what he said.

Anyways, anywhere around the 200rwkws is great, i know what it feals like (got the 98' too champ :P )

I did a dyno run for the exact same reason as you too, and at the same level of mods.

Stopped at 12(ish) psi and got 196rwkws i think?

Now go get the Power FC and watch the smile on ya dial get even wider :D

LoL, you sound like a ecstatic new Skyline owner, or import owner :D

AWESOME to see someone happy with their car, its usually "f_ck me dry, my shits cutting out, dropping boost, using too much fuel etc"

Ride the happy wave :D You only get desensatised, jaded and bored from here on in ;) :0

Yeah im stoked with it :O Skyline has always been my dream car, but i got stuck on the Honda scene, and fell in love with the Integra Type R and the track :wave:

I'll be the first one to say it. I think your dyno might be a bit "generous", 213rwkw with stock management is a bit high imo. Also you say you did the high boost mod, that only atkes it to 7psi all the time correct? Unless you have a boost controller you cant go past that level, so is it really stock boost?

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just a bit confused.

Enjoy driving it either way!!

Yeah i figured it is a little high. Its the way he runs it. Very strange, but thats the way hes always done it :s But when comparing it to other Skylines with similar mods, they were making high 180- mid 190's on the same dyno, so when "comparing" its still a fair bit more!

I barely take peak power as an indication, i tend to enjoy the gains per mod. But seeing as i was an excited little rabbit when i bout it, i modded it quicker than i could get it to the dyno :D

track it and find your MPH... Then i think you will realise the dyno is reading pretty high

I would have done it by now, but u figured trying to get a good time on the stock 205's was pointless! haha

I only just aqquired my Enkie RP-02's 8' and 9' a week or so before the dyno, so it was fantastic to be able to accelerate and actually move, rather than sitting on the spot wrecking tyres. Makes the car feel like a rocket ship after having the stockers for 6 months.

Cheers for the comments!

stock boost controller mod might give you 7psi, but the intake and exhaust mods (especially the decat) will increase that again.

maybe his ECU has been fingered while in it's homeland.

I did buy it completely stock.., but stranger things have happened i guess. Might even investigate it, but i highly doubt it. it didnt look like anything had been touched interior or exterior wise.

I would have done it by now, but u figured trying to get a good time on the stock 205's was pointless! haha

I only just aqquired my Enkie RP-02's 8' and 9' a week or so before the dyno, so it was fantastic to be able to accelerate and actually move, rather than sitting on the spot wrecking tyres. Makes the car feel like a rocket ship after having the stockers for 6 months.

Cheers for the comments!

Haha ahhh come on thats no excuse! Yeh the time would suffer but in fact your MPH will vary only ever so slightly one a run with great traction to a run with a terrible launch. In fact, 9 times out of 10 you worst launch will net your highest MPH at the traps.

Go out there and have a go, 215rwkw should be netting around 105mph im guessing?

Haha ahhh come on thats no excuse! Yeh the time would suffer but in fact your MPH will vary only ever so slightly one a run with great traction to a run with a terrible launch. In fact, 9 times out of 10 you worst launch will net your highest MPH at the traps.

Go out there and have a go, 215rwkw should be netting around 105mph im guessing?

Too true. Harden the F*ck up maybe? heheh

Yeah 105 sounds about right, i was trapping 99.9mph in my Integra R with 133fwkw, obviously wieght advantage.. but yeah. I think the local 33's trap around 105ish. I dont even think there is another drag day untill next season :D

wow, how light was the integra, a DC2R model? thats good trap speed. My r34 is trapping around 97 with 160rwkw, but its a porker!

Yaa DC2R. Such a beast of a car. Would own another one anyday!

Well, stock, they are around 1080kg. It was "track prepped" no interior, spare wheel etc etc, and 1/4 tank of gas. But added weight of huge calipers and rotors. Infact, that probly the heaviest thing, all the other mods, I+H+E would have reduced the weight a little. So probly similar to stock.

Well with my legit 200rwkw i was trapping 107-8mph and that was with stock clutch and bald 205 16s so that's no excuse. So with your happy 213 you should be pulling 110mph, IF you have the power.

:):ninja::ninja:

Dont gimme that tone of voice :P Dont knock it till you try it hehehe.

R33silverS2'] [/b]what are your air fuel ratios like?

Didnt get a reading, was an extra $10 i SHOULD have spent :P Will get those next time, hopefully on a more accurate reading dyno. I know the other local dyno is more "true". But he doesnt often have dyno days, rather just uses his for tuning.