SAU Community

Stock Fitting After Market High Flow Airfilters - Do You Has It?

Hey guys - im looking for a air filter that can fit my stock air box without any modifications that will incrase airflow.

Looked on K&N's website but was unable to find anything for a RB2.5l for a 1998 R34 GT N/A Skyline. I assume they do not make them. Is anyone aware of where i can get one from? This is a stop gap measure and a bit of a test until i pay off my giant insurance debt remaining and can get a professional intake and exaust done with air box etc. from these guys in logan or springwood i forget their name. Also will get Chiptorque to tune the car after the intake, exaust and nissan 50,000km service have been done.

So yes.. stock fitting after market high flow airfilters - do you has it?

post-47767-1205573749_thumb.jpg

If your car was turbocharged, you may notice a slight difference. But with N/A the only way you will notice one is if you have a really filthy clogged up filter, go buy a ryco replacement from autobarn, and save yourself the $150-$200 :D

Exhaust will definitely show some gains though.

Thanks for that - so do you think its not worth paying someone to do the entire system from enclosed pod filter with air box connected to catch can, headers, pipe, to the cat back?

I imagine this will cost me like $2000 versus $1200 just for the exaust.

Either way I intend to get the thing tuned and chipped as Im good friends with the owner of Chip Torque at the coast.

ive got a high flow filter atm. havnt noticed much diff from when u had a geenric brand performancefilter.

getting my exhaust done in the coming weeks so hopefully that shows some noticeable gains.

Yeah - i just dont want the exaust to vibrate so much like in my old car. I did a simple 2 and a half inch from headers to cat back and the thing was so so freaking loud that my dash was shaking itself to pieces i SWEAR!

also not to mention the neighbours being pissed off with me and the unwanted police attention. I think it might have been the people who did it though "pipe werx" at upper mount gravatt. I need to emphasise when i get my exaust done that i need the quietest least vibrating sound without sacraficing any relevant flow relating to acceleration/response. I hope thats something that can be arranged.

Thanks for that - so do you think its not worth paying someone to do the entire system from enclosed pod filter with air box connected to catch can, headers, pipe, to the cat back?

I imagine this will cost me like $2000 versus $1200 just for the exaust.

I'm not sure about the N/A airboxes but the GTR ones which are different are good for upto 300RWKW at least, pods may make a slight difference on turbo's if there boxed and not sucking in hot air but they do attract police attention.

Highflow panel filters include pipercross, K&N, Apexi, pipercross is about $60 to $70.

Headers, cat back and high flow cat do make a difference in my opinion, on a non-turbo just don't go too large on the exhaust or you will lose back pressure.

There some sellers on here selling high flow cats, the better ones cost more $$$ :D

rubbish! completely rubbish!!

don't listen to people who 'speculate', especially when they have no first hand experience. a high flow panel filter will give an improvement, provided you keep your intake snorkel. it's the same as replacing it with a better flowing pod filter.

i've replaced mine with an apexi item, it's getting a bit dirty now and need replacement but flow was improved.

tuning will be a bit of a waste, i wouldn't bother with that.

it seems like everyone with a turbo somehow thinks they are an expert on NA systems because they have an extra intake mod over others

Guest NVDGTS4

They are not a waste of money the flow heaps better then the shit stock ones ! . K&N Air Filter for skyline is the same as the the ones for a Commodore . I work at AutoBarn and i have the display case that shows they flow alot more then a standard filter . The Generic code for a Air Filter is " A360 " so go in and ask for a K&N Version of the A360 for around $89 bucks

They are not a waste of money the flow heaps better then the shit stock ones ! . K&N Air Filter for skyline is the same as the the ones for a Commodore . I work at AutoBarn and i have the display case that shows they flow alot more then a standard filter . The Generic code for a Air Filter is " A360 " so go in and ask for a K&N Version of the A360 for around $89 bucks

Thanks for that. I think I will go and get me one of those ones and of course i will leave the snorkle/catch can on.

So tuning would be a waste? why is that?

So tuning would be a waste? why is that?

the stock ecu has some flexibility in self adjusting fuel maps, with minor mods it will cope fine.

a more agressive chip/retune will yield results, however will be best utilized after major mods.

I hope you do go ahead with getting ChipTorque to chip your car as I'd like to see if any decent gains can be made from a power or fuel economy point of view over stock. I'll be very interested if they do manage some decent results from chipping your car as I'll have some money to burn when i return home in Sept.

rubbish! completely rubbish!! :)

tuning will be a bit of a waste, i wouldn't bother with that.

I agree with Eug on the turbo guys commenting on N/A stuff, classic!

As been mentioned, a K&N filter will be better than a stock paper element, but the biggest killer on an N/A is hot air, so leaving the factory snorkel will be a good idea, until you go all out and get the custom system built.

One thing I don't agree with is the above comment.

The biggest single gain I got from any mod I've done to my RB20DE is they dyno tune after I had carried out my exhaust and induction mods. It is the only time I have felt a noticable increase in power through the seat of my pants, better throttle response and far better torque through the rev range.

Do the K&N filter now and then when you are able, get the custom induction and exhaust made and keep some coin aside to get it tuned properly, be it on the factory ECU or the chip. That's when all the mods will come together and make the power they should.

Edited by screamin'

Apexi make a really decent panel filter, my first choice when changing the panel filter.

Custom built air boxes are ok, but not worth the bang for buck. there is a DIY for a home made cold air intake into the origonal airbox which would be just as effective and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Also, are you thinking off the shelf system or custom built?

Take a look at Coby extractors, bout $300 + another $100 for the gasket, an alright quality high flow cat for around 200ish, off the shelf system, good not but minimal noise I would say a Kakimoto system $900 from just jap, + fitting, you would looking close to around $1600 for a full exhaust system.

Custom built from the cat back, proberly $500 with a resonator and cannon or a high flow muffler and a tip.