SAU Community

Rear Wheel Suspension Clearance Mod

ant0ny

Fitting 17 x 9inch mags on the Stagea with ET45 means you are very close to the rear strut and with a little wheel and axel deflection it will scrape... this is also depending on you rear negative camber... the more Negative you go the closer the wheel will be to the strut.

I had to run a 5mm spacer to stop this... I hate spacers so I did this small mod to offset the rear suspension enough to clear the rim.

post-43655-1206512945_thumb.jpg

I bought large washers that fitted over the suspension point to space it away from the wheel. 21mm inside washers 3.5mm thick.

post-43655-1206512906_thumb.jpg

I turned up 2 spigots to replace the original washer and bolt... also help share the strut load. You will need a longer bolt.

post-43655-1206514691_thumb.jpg

Simple to do... slide off the strut, place the spacers, fix on the strut and insert the spigot and bolt together.

Another thing I found to look out for. The previous owner put one of the struts on different to the other side... normaly this would not make any difference. But if the strut is fitted with the end of the coil face you as you look under the guard... you get a fraction more clearance than the other way.

post-43655-1206512924_thumb.jpg

I am running 235x45x17 tyres. The fronts are 8inch thus the need to run 235's on the rear on a 4x4 Stagea keeping the tyre dia the same front to rear.

Antony

Edited by ant0ny