SAU Community

Stock R33 Gtr Fuel Drinker

Hi Members of SAU,

I have recently overcome a few problems with my R33 GTR. And now another. The Never Ending Story. :-P

1st Cylinder Not Firing *FIXED*

Boost Cut / Revs Problem *FIXED*

CURRENT PROBLEM

Prior to both problems i was doing about 15L per 100kms which was abit over the mark for a standard GTR. (3 Fill-Ups @ 15L per 100km)

During the 1st Cylinder Not Firing and Boost Cut / Revs Problem i was doing about 22-23L per 100km. (2 Fill-Ups @ 22-23L per 100km)

After fixing all that i am now doing about 25L per 100km. (1 Fill-Up @ 25L per 100km)

25L per 100km in a stock GTR - WTF!!!

As i have overcome these hurdles the fuel consumption has seemed to be getting worse.

The only thing which i have changed from when it was about 15L per 100km to the 25L per 100km would be the spark plugs. Gap of 1.1mm down to gap of 0.8mm. Surely that wouldnt make the car drink another 10 litres of fuel over 100kms.

The car is due for a 5000km service in the next couple of hundred km's. Could the car nearing a 5000km service lessen fuel economy?

Any suggestions on a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jebus lol take her to a mechanic man!! Get him to fix everything at once lol Unless you've got time to burn and the inclination to chase after this stuff yourself!

I wish my car did 25L per 100km.

Last time I drove my RB30DET powered R33 it cost me $50 (32L) to drive 60Km. Most of that was highway driving and with a light foot.

Hey Guys,

Here is an update...

A re-cap on things is that this was the fuel pattern:-

3 Fill-Ups @ 15L per 100km [no problems]

2 Fill-Ups @ 22-23L per 100km [1st cylinder not firing & boost leak]

1 Fill-Up @ 25L per 100km [fixed cylinder & boost leak]

1 Fill-Up @ 28-29L per 100km

Serviced & Cleaned Injectors

1 Fill-Up @ 21-22L per 100km

Stock R33 GTR should do 12.3L per 100km or there abouts. I have checked the right O2 sensor but its impossible to get the left/front O2 sensor off with out removing heaps of stuff.

*** DYNO TUNING TIME *** if its still drinking over the next few weeks.

The ECU has been reset many times after trying different things, does the ECU re-learn after things have been fixed and take time to settle.

The car did 28-29L per 100km then it dropped to 21-22L per 100km. That is quite a significant difference. Will the fuel consumption return to normal after some time???

No. There are only a few things that will cause that fuel economy. AFM's, coils causing missfire, coolant temp sensor, fuel leak, cam timing, o2 sensors(although i wouldnt expect it to be that bad) Jap ECU rom, blocked cat could cause it, but it wouldnt make any power. or possibly brakes dragging

• 5 years later...

airfilter also, is there any temp differences where you are, up here it's hot and hot and hotter so fuel economy isn't the best, i'm freaking out how much fuel my stock rs260 is using! wheel alignment also ?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that since its fixed you've been driving it harder, that would explain the crap fuel economy.

airfilter also, is there any temp differences where you are, up here it's hot and hot and hotter so fuel economy isn't the best, i'm freaking out how much fuel my stock rs260 is using! wheel alignment also ?

i'm going to guess based on the post is 5 years old, and the guy hasn't been on here since then, your not going to hear from him....

you cant "dyno tune" the stock ecu so be careful what you are asking and paying for

the 02 sensors (both of them) are solely responsible for giving the ECU valid feedback during closed loop (light cruise) on fuel ratio's from the engine

the ECU then uses these sensors to lean out the mixture on light cruise to save fuel. as soon as you flog it / bring it on boost this mode stops operating.

if one or both of the 02 sensors are dead then closed loop won't work well, ie waste fuel

id strongly suggest changing both 02 sensors

from memory the nissan service book said approx 100,000 or 150,000 for 02 sensors