SAU Community

Chances Of Getting This Locknut Off?

Locknut.jpg

So this is it - a mechanic who shall remain nameless lost the key to my locknut. There is VERY little space around the nut for a ratchet to slip over it, by the looks of things smashing it off somehow will be the way to go. Anyone have any ideas?

Andrew

I had the same problem when i bought my car, didn't come with the locknut key. Went down to bob jane in chadstone and they tried out a few different keys until one fit and they removed the nuts for me.

if not crack and brake it, buy a new set as u would need it because how would u change ur tyre when u got a flat, unless you can get a new key for it then should be fine. also i agree with everyone else been saying.

If no-one has a key and you can't hammer a socket onto it, the other option I've heard is to get a drill and just drill out the whole thing.

You'll need a new wheel stud, of course, but that's not that expensive. It shouldn't damage the wheel.

If no-one has a key and you can't hammer a socket onto it, the other option I've heard is to get a drill and just drill out the whole thing.

You'll need a new wheel stud, of course, but that's not that expensive. It shouldn't damage the wheel.

Yea eitha use a cheepy socket or drill it out, new stud is only $7max, depends if it front or back, back is cheeper i think lol,

studs can be fiddly to replace but simple job