SAU Community

Burning Oil On Usdm Infiniti G35

Easy solution for you then just buy 03 and 04 models, stay off the 05 & 06...

Basically all engine burns oil to a certain degree. the more worn the engines the more they burn.

Hm, yeah that's probably inherent to these VQ Nissan engines...

Have read that the bottom end on these VQ engine is like 'glass' - they're a lot weaker than the RB inline 6.

If you want more bullet proof engine then stick with the RB of R33/R34, but they're getting old as well so all engines when they're getting old they are more prone to failure if being pushed.

Hmmm, bad assumption I think. Cars came from the same factory. What happens in USDM could happen to JDM cars.

Although a complete service history in Japan (if you can read them) may minimise those risk.

As quoted from Forest Gump and a forum member on this forum, Imports is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get... can be something you like, or can be something you dislike.

So the problem seems to exist on local 350Z, and since the JDM V35 skyline has the same VQ35DE engine, I believe they should have the same potential problem, it's basically the luck of the draw when buying an import.

Lucky for that guy he won in court with his 350Z engine replacement, however for a V35 import not sold locally through Nissan, the owners of V35 Skyline would stand no chance in court - Nissan's lawyer is just gonna screw us badly for buying something not offered locally. They'll find hundreds of reasons and excuse not to cover it. So anyone who can't live with the risk buying a lemon should stay away from imports.

Any manufacturer's recall on any V35 skyline range will also not be covered by local Nissan dealers either, so we import owners are really left in the dark. If something happens to my V35, then I'll be forking out cash out of my own pocket to get it fix. I was lucky not to had any with my old R33 over 4 yrs of ownership.

Jarthel, My family members has owned lots of Toyotas since the 80s (we have a '07 RAV4 now) and none of them have had any problems with the engines - they're probably the best car to buy for people who want to play it real safe... :( If local Toyota doesn't appeal you, may I suggest to you an import Toyota Supra, Chaser JZX100, or Caldina wagon? I strongly believe they will be far more reliable than V35 Skyline.

I think if everyone change oil every 6 months or every 5000km the amount oil lost due to getting burnt won't be noticeable enough.

The problem is these days modern cars' service intervals are getting longer. Our Toyota RAV4 is every 10,000km service interval including oil change, and some cars I know has a 15,000 km service intervals. Some cars are used harder than the others and whenever the oil hasn't been changed in 15,000km, with a bad or incorrect oil in the engine, the amount burnt off could be seen as quite significant... It's a point to consider..

Still, every engine will burn oil, but at least car engines are not the old 2 stroke lawnmower engines which burns oil constantly, thank god for 4 stroke engine invention the oil burnt is a lot lesser than the older technology... My brother bought a brand new RX8 and the dealer gave him a can of engine oil and asked him to check his oil and top it up once in a while if the oil goes low. Rotary engines BURNS OIL since brand new. It's a known fact, and all rotary owners knows it... I think compared to rotary engines, the oil burnt by VQ engines on average should not be any more worse, unless you had a bad luck and bought a car with troubled engine.

would topping up the oil regularly avoid the problem? if yes, would there be long term effects with this? thank you

No. That's a band aid short term solution.

I had a Mitsubishi Galant which constantly gone low on oil, up to a point where I need to top up the oil EVERY WEEK.

Brought it back to Mitsubishi which investigate and found that the big end bearing seal is worn and the car is loosing oil because of that.

Long term solution you should aim to get the car to Nissan and ask them to fix it as they would fix a 350Z engine. at least with V35 the engines is something that Nissan mechanic has seen before in a local 350Z.