SAU Community

Snapped Axle, Busted Fuel Tank

Well tonight i was driving home and it was 1am and i was going around a roundabout, and i might just add my r32 gtst has a mini spool, and there was noone around so i dropped second and it went BANG, and nothing... so i drove about 20m and realised car is pullin to one side. So i pulled over and as i came to a stop i saw a sheared bolt with a nut on the end roll past me... And i looked behind me and i had already lost alot of fuel, so i shut off the car instantly! Then look under car and found my rear right axle loose, i dont know if its snapped at this stage as it was dark, but i hoping its just the bolts. But anyhow the axle cut through my fuel tank..

Has anyone ever welded there fuel tank befor? Is it necassary to pressure test etc.. What kind of process did u go through.

Any input welcome, apart from the your an idiot deserve it.

Car has been running minispool for well over 4 years that i know of.. and this is first problem

cheers

Sad to hear that mate, but i thought Skylines fuel tank were made from plasticish materials? Or maybe that was introduced on R33's.

on another note, NEVER EVER try to weld a fuel tank or barrel or perhaps even a little can as it maybe explode in your face. There are still traces of fuel on the metal even if its dried. My father was a welder and has worked in the field when he was young, hearing him tell me stories of oil/fuel barrels exploding when welding freaks me out, some of his co-workers lost parts of their bodies.

yeah thats what im worried about. I have read on it befor there is ways around it... maybe will tank with water while welding... but u would have to make sure u cant get ur welds wet etc.. i dont know. there has to be a way. I am a fitter and turner but i have never had experience in welding tanks. Might need alot of ventilation too!!

Just buy one from the wreckers, it will work out cheaper.

A friend welded fuel tanks, all sizes from cars up to petrol tankers.

He works out the volume then floods the tank with Argon. Hearing his stories about welding inside petrol tankers, walking around with fuel up to his ankles, wearing all the breathing gear, frightens me to death...........

haha go the spool! i wouldnt recomend them in skylines though, i love mine but im driving a VL. anyway, but a new tank, and find out what else has let go (dont forget something has put the big gash in the tank)

if u realy want 2 weld the tank ive being told 2 have the tank in a steam cleaner 4 at least half hour 2 get rid of the fuel vapours. but i still wouldnt try it. with the amount of skylines out there it would b cheaper 2 get a second handy and get it cleaned 2 get rid of the crap inside it.

If you don't have the capability to purge the tank (some inert gas or another, though argon is the common one) don't even consider it. Explosions are bad.

The tank isn't under pressure, but you do need to test for leaks if you do weld it up obviously.

didn't even know you could get a minispool for 32's. I know a guy with a 31 who swears by the $100 ebay ones. if you go through 10 it's still cheaper than a 2 way.

if you go through 10 it's still cheaper than a 2 way.

thats what i've got. you'll never break a spool, just axels and other things around it