SAU Community

Strange Vibration Through Gearbox

I have recently done a complete motor and gearbox swap into my 33. We hooked the rest of the exhaust up yesterday and noticed that when driving the car, going up gears from first into second, and second into third, it feels like something is 'rubbing'.

Also, when i came out of a carpark and hit a little boost, nothing major though, and lifted off the accelorater, it started doing the rubbing noise again even when the gearbox was in neutral. It was also very hard to find gears but managed to slot it in and it came good again. With same issues as above though. This noise kinda went away but there was still a hint of it when you through the clutcdh pedal in.

My mechanic bled the clutch last night to double check that there was no air in the system. He said there was alittle bit but not enough to warrent the issue I am having.

Just wondering if anyone else has some insight on wtf is going on???

now leaning towards clutch related issue:

Car rolling, in neutral with clutch pedal in and give it a little rev - Vibration happens

Car rolling, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd with clutch pedal in and give it a little rev - Vibration (Only tested first, second, and third gears)

Car rolling, in neutral with clutch pedal out and give it a little rev - No vibrations!

Also; Starter motor died today (thinks) and had to push start the car. Rubbing noise coming through clutch pedal and is audiable. This was went the clutch pedal is pressed in. Released pedal and noise went away while car was rolling from being pushed.

soslo_31; I know you told me last night when you bled the clutch :(

Anyone have any other ideas?

heya all.

i hel.ped shayne do the swap.

possibly is this vibration due to the trans oil used.

we used a synthetc elf racing oil. has been used on a heap of galant rally cars with pzitner (sp?) boxes and no hassles... figured it wouldnt hurt a gtst 5speed.

ghoing to try using VMX80 2mrw nite, and have another looky.

failing that box out, go over the clutch and flywheel assembly (again) and go from there....

advice would be greatly appreciated hahah

Also; Starter motor died today (thinks) and had to push start the car. Rubbing noise coming through clutch pedal and is audiable. This was went the clutch pedal is pressed in. Released pedal and noise went away while car was rolling from being pushed.

that would be a flat battery, that red light that was on last night with the battery symbel means alternator not charging, and after a while being today battery eventually dies and wont start,

lol,

just got of the phone to him about that.

id say we missed an earth or somethign while in a rush to get the car ready for last thursday...

fun nite 2mrw nite sorting that out to.

itd be nice for some input about this clutch/box noise...

i hope its just oil.... less fakrin round.

just to clarify VMX80 is the shat for these boxes?

swapped alternators over, no more battery light. so thats fixed.

ghot defected for no tread on tyres on the test drive but, so that was gay.

taking box back out saturday, new throwout bearing, and VMX80.. and all should be sweet

swapped alternators over, no more battery light. so thats fixed.

ghot defected for no tread on tyres on the test drive but, so that was gay.

taking box back out saturday, new throwout bearing, and VMX80.. and all should be sweet

Check clutch spigot bush was replaced or even put back in at all,that's the one that slides over engine crankshaft .Grey Pearl. Edited by grey pearl

lol,

id say that would be it.

as the car was in a massive rush to be put together, me thinks we had one that wouldnt fit and decided to leave it out untill we replaced the cluthc.. haha

the motor that we used **used** to be auto... we just put manual flywheel etc on it, but the bush we had wouldnt fit.... ideas?

massive thanks for the replys to guys :bomb_ie:

lol,

id say that would be it.

as the car was in a massive rush to be put together, me thinks we had one that wouldnt fit and decided to leave it out untill we replaced the cluthc.. haha

the motor that we used **used** to be auto... we just put manual flywheel etc on it, but the bush we had wouldnt fit.... ideas?

massive thanks for the replys to guys :D

ANSWER, You must put one in and yes the manual and auto are different,sorry to have to tell you the box has to come out again,this part is essential.Cheers Grey Pearl.

I bought a bearing from nissan... They said It would fit all. But hey... they dont. hehe.

There is difference in manual crank, and auto crank were the bearing sits. I also used and auto block for my last change, and got this issue.

Had to use a lathe to make the bearing a little smaller. Took 0,6 mm of on the diameter.

lol.

figured the box had to come out..

so just use the same bearing bit, but take a bit off it on a lathe then?

that would be the source of the hassles :P

fingers crossed its all good.

so should be right with the oil we used.?