SAU Community

Mv Auto's Shift Kit

4 door turbos are 4 speed with a lock up convertor which often feels like an extra gear but sadly it isnt. just 4 speed

however i have seen a non turbo 4 door r33 gts that had a 5 speed auto. so maybe look into this.

well that explains it then

i wonder if anyone has attempted putting in a 5 speed auto into a turbo? im assuming it would be the same strength wise as a 4 speed?

what is the model number for the 5 speed? what other cars did nissan use it in? if i can source one it might be an interesting path to go down

5 speed with mv manual valvebody, ratchet shifter and black box, maybe a 2800 or 3000 stall = 5 speed manualised auto :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im pretty sure my r33 4 door only has 4 speed (1 2 D and OD) unless there are 2 levels of overdrive or something?

im assuming a 5 speed would be 1 2 3 D and OD though?

The 5 speed has 2-3-D+O/D & when left in 2nd the auto ecu selects from 1-2 for you.

Anybody know who can overhaul auto's on the Sunshine Coast? I think mine is getting tired with 200KW ATW.

I'm also very interested in the 5 speed replacement for my 93 R33GTST. Let me know if there is a simple bolt on replacement.

Watched this video about 15 times now, i am ordering one next week.

Cheers for putting that in car footage up mate!

LOL yer thats ok, Sorry I couldn't edit out all the bits where nothings happening, it was recorded on my brothers mobile.

• 6 months later...

Just ordered my bits and peices from Motorspecs in sydney

Stage 2 shift kit - $78

Transmission Sevice kit -$11

All up for around $100 including GST

Will get it in around 2 weeks time ,when the rep coming back from sydney

:thumbsup: Looking forward to it , Also thinking about installing a Transmission oil cooler while im at it ...

Have all the gear at work and shouldn't be hard to do at all :D

will do a write up and let you all know how it goes

• 2 weeks later...

i have been thinking of this but as mine is a daily driver and everyone says the shifts are hard so it turns me off a bit. so do you guys mean that its uncomfortable in traffic or only feels hard when driving the car hard?

OK so this is a very old thread and I thought I would give you all an update on my auto situation.

In august I decided I'm not spending anymore money on my car modifying it, so the decision was made to remove the manualised kit but retain the shift kit.

I sold the manualised kit to my mate (also a forum member here) for a cheap price, he is now running a keas shift kit with the MV black box and the B&M ratchet along with BIG Garrett turbo, injectors, z32 afm, PFC making kW and the auto is going great.

Stage 2 shift kit - $78

:( Looking forward to it , Also thinking about installing a Transmission oil cooler while im at it ...

Have all the gear at work and shouldn't be hard to do at all :)

That is an awesome price. It will be good to hear how it all goes.

i have been thinking of this but as mine is a daily driver and everyone says the shifts are hard so it turns me off a bit. so do you guys mean that its uncomfortable in traffic or only feels hard when driving the car hard?

The shifts can be harsh if your moving slowly (traffic/parking lots) and it tends to not be sure whether it should be in first or second (constantly shifts up and down between gears), the way you overcome this is to engage the snow button which will lock it in second, this will give a smooth ride with no shifting unless you get over km when it will shift to third.

I would suggest you possibly find someone local to you using a shift kit and ask to be taken for a drive in the car.

• 1 month later...

Stage 2 shift kit - $78

:) Looking forward to it , Also thinking about installing a Transmission oil cooler while im at it ...

Have all the gear at work and shouldn't be hard to do at all :(

that is cheap, is it the same as MV Auto's shift kit, caus they are $300 plus, or am i missing something here, very interested in doing this also

• 4 months later...
nice work. shouldnt that be the otherway around tho? pull back to shift up and push forward to shift down?

it will only be like that if you mount the shifter backwards, then park is at the bottom and u will accidentally leave your car in first instead of park.

that is cheap, is it the same as MV Auto's shift kit, caus they are $300 plus, or am i missing something here, very interested in doing this also

wouldnt be the same as mv autos, $78 would only be for welch plugs on 2nd and 3rd accumulators.

• 9 months later...

How you going, I just put one in my 33 the other day. It's killa. The only thing bugging me now is how to neaten it up like modify the plastic console cut around it or put a leather sock on it and take the silver box off..

Any ideas?

thanks.

talk is useless

does anyone have vids of these mv shift kits being used?

A fellow SAU memeber took me for a ride in his that had the vavle bodies fitted. It really was savage haha chirped 2nd no matter what you do.

The 5 speed has 2-3-D+O/D & when left in 2nd the auto ecu selects from 1-2 for you.

Mine has the 5 speed, id rather have the abilitly to select 1 2 or 3 on its own insted of first and seccond being selected by the ECU.

hay so can any 1 give me a idiots guide to a shifter and shift kit.

ok first i have a 33 auto 4speed and the OEM shifter has a cable facing forward and a rod going down that connects to the trans (4 selecting gears i think) my question is what is the cable 4 is it needed and if so were do i connect it. and also is it ok to replace the steel rod that connects to the trans with a cable as most after market shifters use a cable.

ok the shift kit what exactly is it, can i fit it my self, and what are my options.

im looking to retain the automatic shifting but be able to use it as a manual auto box and if it could have a trans brake that would just be gravy but its not a necessity.

The sequence of shifting up/ down the gears has nothing to do with the shifter, it's the fact that it has a forward (standard) pattern valve body. Also, you'll find most of the B&M ratchet shifters have changeable gates so, they're compatible with both fwd pattern (P-R-N-3-2-1) & reverse pattern (P-R-N-1-2-3) valve bodies.

This is where I need to know more about it. I'm sold on the clutchless manual - I love the idea, however as mentioned I dont want to have to shift forward to change from 1st --> 2nd --> 3rd etc. So in my series 2 R33 what changes do I need to make so that I'm shifting down?

Just changing the valve bodies? Someone please explain. Someone also mentioned whether or not you can remove the overdrive button and make it a 4th shift....can this be done?

Lastly, I have read that the shifts can be brutal. Are the shifts nice and smooth or does the transmission go bang when you change? I did watch the video and didnt hear anything like that. Great video by the way.

*edit*

I forgot. Can you buy like an aftermarket LED that I could mount on the dash or something where it shows what gear I am currently in? I'm thinking along these lines because I dont want the bulky casing that the ratchet shifter sports. I'd be going with a nice leather boot surrounding the shifter.

Edited by patrickd79

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...