SAU Community

pleeeze help

my r32 gtst rb20det doesn't start properly, it is very hard starting it and wen it does start it's like it's missing badly but if u keep pumping it eventually piks up but u still need to hold the pedal down otherwise if u let go it dies. wen it warms up u can let go and it'll be ok, restarting isnt as hard....only cold starts is a problem

i have tried:

replacing plugs with iridiums 0.8mmgap

testing my air flow meter on another r32

swapping the ignitor

swappin the silver thing on passenger side strut tower...wat is it?

swapping the oxygen sensor

cleaning the aac valve

cheking the tps

cheking for vacuum leaks

bypassing fuel pump relay

chek fuses etc.

it's like something isnt letting it idle and start properly initially but wen it warms up it gets better.

if it makes a difference then the exhaust smells very rich and blows greyish smoke wen engined is revved

tried search function but got no answers....any ideas/experiences will be a great help !!

jay

All i can think of is the Computer may have had it...I was gonna prob say faulty fuel pump or injectors but If u say its running fine when it warms up Then not Fuel...

Best thing you could do is go and get it Checked out :D

i thought of the computer aswell but i don't understand why it runs normal when warmed up. it's almost like a sensor or something has a intermitent problem.....and doesn't like doing it's job when cold. anybody know what keeps the rb20 idling, does it have a idle controller or something...

thanx for the replies, keep the ideas rolling in, might help me stumble on something obvious !!!

i have a similar problem:

sometimes starts first go sometimes not (used to NEVER start first go). cranks fine.

when it does catch on, it revs really low for a couple of seconds - like its trying to rev up but can't. in 5 seconds it magically goes up to 1000rpm and idles normal.

dunno what it is. does this sound like spark plugs? tried cleaning AFM, played with TPS, ran some injector cleaner recentl.

i htought this was a similar topic so someone might be able to help me too...

wazr32 - thats similar to wat i have but alot worse, it just doesn't tip start and hold steady like it shud.

r34gtt-r - when u say thermostat, do u mean wat was said earlier about the sensor or the actual thermostat that opens and closes the water flowing in the engine from the radiator.

jus remebered that tucked away in the glove box is a hks idling stabiliser...don't kno y this is for (beside the obvious in its name)

tested it plugged in or out, doesn't make a difference.

Originally posted by WazR32GTSt

i have a similar problem:

sometimes starts first go sometimes not (used to NEVER start first go). cranks fine.  

when it does catch on, it revs really low for a couple of seconds - like its trying to rev up but can't. in 5 seconds it magically goes up to 1000rpm and idles normal.  

dunno what it is. does this sound like spark plugs? tried cleaning AFM, played with TPS, ran some injector cleaner recentl.  

i htought this was a similar topic so someone might be able to help me too...

Mine does it as well but not as bad....i just need to give it a lil rev sometimes to get the revs to pickup to over 1000rpm

My bros car does the same thing.

Scott

yeah is i give the accelerator a poke it goes up to normal its only if i let is run will it struggle for revs then come up to normal in a few seconds. its perfect when i start it when its warm.

thermostat - good idea. has to be temperature-related i rekon. although i don't see how the coolant circuit relates to the starting characteristics...

checked on my rb20, the top coolant pipe has 2 sensors plugged in, one is a single wire clip the other is a 2 wire clip. the single wire is for the temp gauge, when pulled out the temp drops to nothing. the other 2 wire clip does nothing when pulled out ???? maybe this is the info the computer reads ????

2moro i will unbolt both the sensors and have a visual inspection inside.

chow for now :-)

I second what R34GTT-R said :) - whats that shit in the glovebox. Get rid of it while you're troubleshooting. Look at where the HKS idle thingo is spliced in, might be a dodgy connection/splice there.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine does the same thing too ever since I got it. However mine did get much better after it had 2 exhaust valves replaced (i think that cylinder was down on comp for a while which wouldnt have helped cold starts). But it still coughs and splutters about in the morning.

Im told its due to my Blitz ECU. Im told alot of jap ecu's have cold start features removed and thus run a bit crappy until the engine is warm.

Red17