SAU Community

Car Stuttering

Hi guys have a r33 s2, when driving normally the car is fine it is not intill i hit boost the car stutters feels like lack of power as well. This is really concerning to me. Is it ok to still drive the car around without hitting boost. Im thinking it is a coil pack issue. any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Is there any way of telling if the coil pack is the culprit by looking at it ie short circuit blown? cheers Jimps mods include, 3 inch cat back, boost controller 9psi, pod filter, bov

Wouldn't be over-boosting, but sounds like a boost leak instead. Dun think it'd be the coilpacks though.

Did this happen after you put ur BOV in by any chance?

Edited by R33Turbo

It happened to me when I have my GTR R33. Back then, the reason that my car sputters is because the fuel pump is getting too old. It wouldn't pump enough gas, so my car sputters. When I upgrade to the nismo fuel pump, the problem is gone!!!

Another problem might cause it is probably you have a vacumm leakage!! try to check the intercooler pipings. Spray some water/soap to check if there is a leakage!!

Hope it could help you!!

umm i bought the car with the BOV so when i had it the car was fine. fuel pump hey? how can i check that? so now it is down to 4 possible choices. 1) fuel pump 2) boost/vaccuum leak 3) spark plugs 4) coil packs.ill try to check out the vaccuum leak tommorow if thats not the case ill try new set of sparkies.cheers

just checked for vaccuum/ boost leaks couldnt find any?sometime this week will do spark plugs? what one do people reccomed for my mods? i have read other threads and a few people have used ngkbkr7e plugs. are these sufficient?

1. with the spark plug valley cover off, unplug the harness of each coilpack one by one, and see if the engine sound changes. if you come across one that doesn't change the engine sound then that coilpack may not be working efficiently.

2. try changing your spark plugs and see if they're fouled. i use NGK BKR7E myself and so do my friends. we haven't come across any problems.

3. from past experiences, running anything over ~10PSI for a prolonged time will cause the fuel pump to slowly die and get worse over time. this may also be the culprit of your stuttering problem but it could be one of many little things.

cheers,

dave.

Edited by dmr

hi dmr just checked that i took the harness off the coil packs one by one and they seemed to change noise ever single one of them. I can here a ticking sound could that possible be the coil packs shorting????Im still skeptical ill change the spark plugs because i dont know how long they have been in there for.ill keeps you guys/gals updatedcheers

I dont know if this helps but i had a similar prob with mine - if i accelerate the power seemed to plateau - and when hard on the pedal, it would shudder on boost... what it was for me was a combination of fuel regulator and fuel pump - both replaced which fixed it for me...

hope it helps

umm yeah it is sort of doing that what kind of fuel pump did you end up getting. Did you get a whole fuel pump assembly or the fuel pump itself?

umm yeah it is sort of doing that what kind of fuel pump did you end up getting. Did you get a whole fuel pump assembly or the fuel pump itself?

i got a bosch fuel pump but dont remember what rating tho.. im pretty sure it was more to do with my fuel pressure regulator - which was found to be a non-turbo item that was installed by a idiot mechanic.. mind you, it was driving fine for few weeks until suddenly felt weird on boost...

I'l take a stab.. Boost leak?

is it cold weather when this happens.

it could be becos it is cold, you could be getting those problems, boost freeze, happens sometimes in my mates rexxy in the cold mornings weather has given us lately.

umm well it could be because of the cold weather not to sure in summer it was fine through to early autum. Can anyone reccomend a fuel pump. i think i just want to replace it now.

hi guys just put ngk bkr7e spark plugs in the car seems to have fixed the problem. really happy now. Another quick question by taking the inlet manifold off would i need to re-adjust the boost T on the inlet pipe?

yeah only said that about the boost controller as it seems abit slower maybe it just seems that way because i was driving it so slow for the past week?