SAU Community

Wideband Sensor Location

hey question for the guys with widebands installed. Where did you mount your sensors? I got the LM-1, can it be installed into the stock 02 sensor hole? or does it need to be further down stream just dont want to wreck the sensor from excessive heat.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got a bung put in my exhaust about halfway 10cm up from the bend in the exhaust 2 fit a bosch wideband. it only cost me 30 bucks to get an exhaust shop 2 do it just match the thread on the nut b4 u do it.

yeah the first time we ran it strait left 2 the passanger door then in the bottom of the door. the second time we ran it up with the standerd o2 sensor then out the back of the bonnet then in the window

be sure to pay attention to the wideband sensors installation and operation instructions

i mean, actually read them, pay note to the location, mounting position and direction of the 02 sensor in the exhaust

incorrect mounting and angle can really trash the expensive sensor, i think they also need direct 12v ign power as they must heat up before running exhaust gas

The LM1 is the best of its kind, Any reason why a perm gauge with a wideband couldnt be fitted? Ive seen them on ebay and would prevent me thinking im killing my engine...

Would a narrow band be suitable?

yeah instructions were a bit vague I thought. All they said is that it can't be mounted upside down because of condensation, or before the turbo because of heat not much else really. But I'm having a bit of a read though the innovative forum before I install.

The LM1 is the best of its kind, Any reason why a perm gauge with a wideband couldnt be fitted? Ive seen them on ebay and would prevent me thinking im killing my engine...

I think innovative sell dash AFR gauges/displays as well to connect with their WB's

pretty sure a narrow band would be pretty useless as an idication to an AFR display as it can't tell you how rich or how lean

Edited by SevenAngryPenguins

yeah read something about using the lm-1 narrow band output (0-1V) to drive a gauge not 100% though. The lm1 has analog outputs for ecu's I believe it can interface with datalogit and the emanage ultimate for data logging not sure about any others. That link doesnt work..

Edited by SevenAngryPenguins

I installed an LC 1 and gauge kit

cost me 340 landed into australia from usa

didnt really work that great

then it died

I sent it back for warranty repair and they have replaced it with a new unit

but i havent got around to reinstalling

I've a little experiance with WB's, so ill throw my 2 cents in.

do you mean 10cm up from the bend at the bottom of the dump pipe where it goes off to the cat? is it hard to get in and out? I'm not going to leave it in permanently.

Manual has the preferred location and orientation that the 5wire should be mounted. Generally, you want it as close to the turbo as possible, though somewhere that wont exceed ~7000C (i think, its been a while) It's all in the manual. Just before the cat is always a good idea, though it can be mounted in a finned heatsink if you really want it closer to the turbine (or if its in a rota)

Being easy to get to, is an important consideration, as installed with the engine running and NO heater 12v will coke the refrence cell up.

ah awesome thanks for the picture. Where do you run your cable when the sensor is plugged in? just up into the engine bay then under the back of the bonnet and through the window?

Theres a fellow on the Innovative forum whos noticed how electrically "noisy" the LC1 is. Be aware of this when running the cable (more important in a perm install i guess) Reading the forums, seems heat can kill the LC1 dead quick too. Just be sensable when mounting.

...they also need direct 12v ign power as they must heat up before running exhaust gas.

Yup, its generally a 5-30s warm up time, depending on sender's temp.

The LM1 is the best of its kind, Any reason why a perm gauge with a wideband couldn't be fitted? Ive seen them on ebay and would prevent me thinking im killing my engine...

I think innovative sell dash AFR gauges/displays as well to connect with their WB's

pretty sure a narrow band would be pretty useless as an idication to an AFR display as it can't tell you how rich or how lean

Don't know about best. They've had their fair share of defective / playing up units. Be this due to the LC1 being thier most popular (most used) unit, or an inherent issue with its design, I don't know. I thought about a PLX unit, though opted for the LC1.

Innovative sell 4 or 5 gauges you can use. I "think" the crappy Autometer style single wire gauges respond in a linear fashion to input voltage, hence you could run the analogue output from the LC1 into one of these. (I think one of the Innovative's gauges would be a better option though; you get start / stop calibrate buttons.

yeah read something about using the lm-1 narrow band output (0-1V) to drive a gauge not 100% though. The lm1 has analog outputs for ecu's I believe it can interface with datalogit and the emanage ultimate for data logging not sure about any others. That link doesnt work..

As mentioned, theres a programble analogue output on both LC1 and LM1 that can be pumped into anything with a analogue > digital converter. Emanage, ANY aftermarket ECU, datalogit etc etc.

Edited by GeeTR