SAU Community

Wideband Sensor Location

I run the wb02 unit too and am very happy with price and performance. have often run it together with a motec sensor in the exahust and it always reacts sooner but reads the same

I have had both an LM1 and a WB02 and had no problems with either of them. On the dyno, the WB02 gives the same readings as the calibrated Motec A/RF meter, except as Dunk said, because the WB02 is closer to the engine it reads changes faster. I have killed a couple of senors due to the low mounting point and high ripple strips, the new exhaust has a high mount. On the Stagea and the R33GTST I use the standard lambda sensor hole. I find it best to tune open loop, so not having the standard lambda sensor is not a problem.

Logging the A/F ratios is an OK idea, but watching an A/F ratio gauge is truly a pain in the ass. Every tiny change in the throttle position swings the numbers around dramatically. It's not like oil pressure or the temperature gauges that stay pretty constant and you can tell at a glance if something is wrong. The numbers are constantly jumping around and almost impossible to follow. The only time the numbers are constant enough to read and be meaningful is at a consistent 100% throttle and, I don't know about you, but I'm far too busy watching the road at that sort of acceleration rate to pay much attention to a gauge.

Cheers

Gary

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a fist full of cash for Pete 5 years ago, though heard from a few very reputable tuners about their issues with rapid elevation changes messing with the output. I saw a calibrated techedge unit compared to a motec (the older design)

Left a dirty feeling in my mouth, and didn't want to risk my motor (or others) with a device from a mom and pop operation.

I know the US Rx7Club uses (used) em like hot cakes... but Innovative, PLX make sell a LOT more :D

Once bitten twice shy I guess.

Just my personal opinion from the device half a decade ago, i believe these comments fit within forum guidelines.

This may have been a issue in the past or maybe it was a faulty unit. Who knows, you cant let a bad experience from years ago stop you from buying the best.

Otherwise we would not be driving skylines because Datsuns are rusty pieces of crap.

no mine is still going (less than 5000km's old)

but every 2nd person out there say there's was working one day and just stops the next. i don't even know if i got warrantee on mine.

i did have an immense amount of problem trying to calibrate and update it, and this problem still exists. i just worked around it.

i don't know if i should have gone LM1, PLX, or WB02 now. but i definitely wouldnt chose the LC1

Sell it and buy a WB02, you wont regret it!

How many hours as the sensor seen, how old is the sensor, have you checked it against a known good unit for accuracy and response time recently.

My sensor is 13 months old, and has been in my car permanantly for this time as well as being removed weekly to tune other peoples cars or check the afr's. at least 25,000km's

I have had my sensor connected while being on 4 or 5 different dyno's and have checked the AFR's. If anything my sensor is faster then all the dyno's i have seen.

And whoever said it had unessasry lag, how the hell would you know if you have not compared it to other systems yourself ? I am one to never listen to what anyone says about something or be skeptical untill i see it for myself.

I can assure you all the wb02 is great, i just got a call from peter, he picked up that my unit had the wrong firmware, he fixed it for me and confirmed my cable is faulty. He is going to fix everything up and send it back to me the SAME day as recieving it.

Id love to see any innovate product get that kind of support. Looks like now il be able to do the road tune on the 180sx on the weekend if australia post get it back to me on time!

Edited by Guilt-Toy

my meter is in the car constant and can be removed for tuning other vehicles when needed .

have not been able to test it against other brand of meters as there aren't many different types in newy to test against . mainly autronic .

Good response Guilt Toy - thanks!

I think you may be correct, older units mighta had some bugs. (Id heard of another guy that experianced bugs too... though thats 2nd hand info)

Will wonder down there and have a chat with pete, truly would rather support a local business :P

We tuned mine using the innovative gear and it matched the dyno afr.... guage is good for the worriers, every opportunity i get on wot i have a quick glance to make sure afr's are holding steady.

The egt gear is even more valuable imo, just needs to be logged and looked at later (no point looking at one channel of data, egt is only useful for trimming individual cylinders by comparing all 6 at once)- but an excellent tool for the tuner to use when on the dyno and also for the owner to check what the tuner has done and also keep an eye on things under varying conditions and over time.

I hate all things electrical yet still installed and wired up the innovate o2 sensor, gauge, egt's etc very easily, worked first go no problems at all. And havent had a problem since. Mind you I located the LC-1 in the cabin.

As for sensor location, I was advised to put it halfway around the first bend in the exhaust.

Edited by DCIEVE

Cool!!! I just heard back from techedge and they are sending me a brand new cable and sending me out the gauge so i can have EGT & AFR reading at once at all times...

Cannot wait to get all this setup! be interesting to see what my egt's are

engsample.jpg

Well if I can just run the o2 sensor from the stock o2 hole as SK said he does. I might just do that for now.

I did my first datalog and everything seems to works really well, my afr's are dropping into the 9's!! (stock computer bigger turbo/injectors(pfc died and is in japan getting fixed))

lm-1 manual just says after turbo & before cat, also states 'The maximum temperature of the sensor at the bung (the sensor hexagon)

should not exceed 500 oC' I might get infa red temp gauge from work and see how hot the stock o2 gets (not sure if it read that high though).

Edited by SevenAngryPenguins

love to know how you keep exhaust gas under 500o. my gauge was showing 750o the other day and the 02 sensor is within a foot of that. If it looses 250o in 1 foot then it came out of the turbo at 1000o lol

Cool!!! I just heard back from techedge and they are sending me a brand new cable and sending me out the gauge so i can have EGT & AFR reading at once at all times...

Cannot wait to get all this setup! be interesting to see what my egt's are

engsample.jpg

I will be interested to see this guage.

I recently purchased the WB02 3A2 unit after being reccommended it by a couple of reputable tuners in melb and us.

I am very impressed with its response and features for its price.

how good!!! tech edge package waiting for me at home.. what awesome service. the wide band unit was out of my hands for 2 days while getting checked and upgraded FREE of charge.

Cannot wait to install my new gauge !

how good!!! tech edge package waiting for me at home.. what awesome service. the wide band unit was out of my hands for 2 days while getting checked and upgraded FREE of charge.

Cannot wait to install my new gauge !

your making me think I brought the wrong product now :wub:

Anyway ended up sticking the sensor down where intercool did, the weld was a bit messy but it didn't cost me anything.

post-36364-1210916640_thumb.jpg

um we are discussing narrow band vs wideband here...widebands are very different beasties...

yes good point

if you are worried about exceeding the recommended temps for the o2 sensor check this one out

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/p...at=0&page=1

I dount many will have a problem though, the lc-1 will display an error message when the temps are exceeded (700degC gas temp or 500degC material temp). Mine is less than 12" from the turbo and I am yet to see an error message.. cylinder egt's all peak at 900degC roughly 1inch from the head if thats any guide (530rwhp and 10.8afr's).

Have to say the innovative is a good looking gauge as well, and easy to mount being less than 15mm thick.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/p....php?imageid=89

Edited by DCIEVE