SAU Community

T3 for rb20det???

Mase

A friend has a T3 turbo off his vl rb30det. He offered it to me for $350. Is this a decent upgrade for an rb20det and do you think this is a reasonably price?? It should be a straight bolt on shouldn't it? Anything in particular to look for with the t3's besides shaft play? All comments appreciated.

Thanks

Jase

i got told they are bigger than rb25 turbos.. should be an alright upgrade.. then again you can always hi flow it later.. same zoorst flange so should bolt on just oil lines etc mite not line up or something like that..

yes just a plain thrust bearing (not a bb) water and oil cooled.

and yes bigger than rb25 turbo.

might be late 80s technology but still make the power to show most of u boys up. dont knock em.

mase

check especially around the wastegate hole (these turbos incorporate an internal gate) check around the hole for cracks in the housing itself , i can almost garauntee there will be tiny ones , dont worry about it. unless it is quite apparent.

shaft play isnt too big a drama , there will be some play , every turbo needs a wee bit of play , if its over the top then it may be worn internally.

t3s seem to be quite a good turbo , if it hasnt been pushed beyond its working limits of about 12 psi ,and has had regular oil changes, then internally it should be good, buy it , hiflo it and have fun , will be a bit laggy on a rb20 but itll be good.

i had one on my RB20 for a few weeks, was a litle bit laggy compared to a RB25 turbo, but you can safely run them on 15psi all day without fear of the ceramic turbine blowing apart. Made more power then the standard RB20 turbo, so go for it, 350 is cheap and you will easily get your money back if you wish to sell.

Hi guys, I have never seen a T3 equiped RB20DET make anywhere near the same average power in the RPM range from 2,000 to 7,500 rpm that a RB25DET turbo equiped RB20DET does. If it was my money I'd spend a couple hundy more for a 15 year younger turbo with balls and water.

Later on, ball bearing high flow it for 210 rwkw with an average from 4,000 rpm to 7,500 rpm over 170 rwkw. I've never seen a T3 make anywhere near that either.

Don't get me started on durability, plain bearings and thrust plates = lots of servicing. That's why Nissan went to balls and water, to get away from the servicing costs.

Hope that adds to the discussion

yeah thats a fair point sydneykid, i have a 25 turbo on my RB20 at the moment and it has a shitload more mid then i can remember the T3 had on my RB20 a few years ago. But that was with a standard computer compared to a haltech now with the Rb25 turbo.

You are right about the plain bearings and thrust plates needing a regular rebuild, but i reckon it would last longer on 1 bar than a 25 turbo would

Don't get me started on durability, plain bearings and thrust plates = lots of servicing.

My understanding is that bush bearing turbos are more succpetible to oil quality (So stick with top quality oil, and changing at regular/frequent intervals) and they only really start to hurt when boost is wound up.

Sydneykid, im not going to claim they are equal let alone superior to a BB turbo from a durability perspective, but they can be reliable. Also many of us run stock internals so will never really every wind up boost meaning the bush/thrust plates wont see high loads or wear.

Nor am i suggesting Mase but a 17year old turbo, just trying to point out that sometimes a plain bush turbo can meet the demands of a street driven car, especially if $$$ are factored in.

Originally posted by Sydneykid

Hi guys, I have never seen a T3 equiped RB20DET make anywhere near the same average power in the RPM range from 2,000 to 7,500 rpm that a RB25DET turbo equiped RB20DET does.  If it was my money I'd spend a couple hundy more for a 15 year younger turbo with balls and water.

Later on, ball bearing high flow it for 210 rwkw with an average from 4,000 rpm to 7,500 rpm over 170 rwkw.  I've never seen a T3 make anywhere near that either.

Don't get me started on durability, plain bearings and thrust plates = lots of servicing.  That's why Nissan went to balls and water, to get away from the servicing costs.

Hope that adds to the discussion

t3 are water cooled my man

i have over 200 rwkw , mind u its a 3ltr.

if u keep up with oil changes etc , as i do every 4000k , i dont mind paying for a few more bottles of oil per year , then u wont have too many dramas with it.

Just remember Trust turbos have no water cooling and plain bearings, and they are based on truck turbos.

I wouldn't touch the T3 with a ten foot pole unless it's been rebuilt recently, otherwise you have a very old turbo. Otherwise no problems.

The rb25det upgrade on a rb20 doesn't do much at all. Ive seen a few put on rb20's and they get like 8hp max. Thats *** all.

I hi flowed the rb20 turbo with a sierra cosworth rear wheel and v-trim front wheel and put a vg30 compressor housing on which is slightly bigger than the rb20.

Power went up 50hp. FUll boost by 3800. Which is pretty good for a 20.

I hi flowed the rb20 turbo with a sierra cosworth rear wheel and v-trim front wheel and put a vg30 compressor housing on which is slightly bigger than the rb20.

hey r32 - gts where did u get this done and how much did it end up costing ya?

Thanks for the replys everyone. I've decided to leave it for now and look at an rb25 turbo in the near future. Would have replied earlier but my net isn't working properly and i can view this website but not reply so im doing it at uni.

Thanks again