SAU Community

Gtr Rebuild

Hey all,

I have decided to keep my car after being stuff around way too much with dreamers. Anyway now that I don't have to sell it and I have somwhere to keep her I want to rebuild the engine and turn it into a monster.

So I have about 18-20 grand (Was going to do a twin turbo kit on a VX Clubby if I sold the GTR) for the rebuild and want 600hp + so any help in which way to go would be great.

Here are the mods done already- 316kw atw

HKS 2530's (probably need bigger ones)

Ross balancer

Tomei cam gears

Nismo 600 or 650cc injectors

Splitfire coil packs

Apexi N1 exhaust.

I think thats about it for the engine.

I have been looking at Tomei kits cos there are such good value so any info on this would help.

Cheers

Hey all,

I have decided to keep my car after being stuff around way too much with dreamers. Anyway now that I don't have to sell it and I have somwhere to keep her I want to rebuild the engine and turn it into a monster.

So I have about 18-20 grand (Was going to do a twin turbo kit on a VX Clubby if I sold the GTR) for the rebuild and want 600hp + so any help in which way to go would be great.

Here are the mods done already- 316kw atw

HKS 2530's (probably need bigger ones)

Ross balancer

Tomei cam gears

Nismo 600 or 650cc injectors

Splitfire coil packs

Apexi N1 exhaust.

I think thats about it for the engine.

I have been looking at Tomei kits cos there are such good value so any info on this would help.

Cheers

nice 4 sum lol good luck with it mate its going to b a monster

Yeah I know there are other threads but if i could use any of my stuff that would be great.

Nismoid - the car will be just a weekender and then might take it to the track every now and then but the key is reliablity i would much rather spend the coin then do it on the cheap.

Cheers bwebbie i know it will be. Check out KFC this week my company is installing a new sign down there in Burnie, haha.

i have a complete HKS GT-RS kit with new balance pipe manifolds that will give you around 700hp at the tyres if you are interested. These things would be nuts on a 2.8 kit.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Fu...html&hl=HKS

can also look after build for you as well.

Edited by DiRTgarage

You want it to be a monster with 600+hp?

Suggestion:

Full HKS 2.8L Step 2 kit (~7k plus shipping from Japan)

HKS T04Z Kit (~6k)

HKS Gasket Kit 1.2mm 87.5mm bore - $323

Nissan N1 Bearings - $253

ARP Rod bolts - $100

JUN Valve guides - $395

ARP Head Studs - $460

TOMEI Procams (270x10.8mm) - $680

TOMEI valve springs - $400

TOMEI Cam Sprokets - $300

TRUST sump extension - $355

JUN High Flow Oil Pump - $950

TRUST Timing Belt Cover - $75

Block Machining - $750

Headwork - $1100

Crank/Cam seals - $112

Sump Extension Welding - $330

Heater Hoses - $280

Cambelt - $107

Gasket Glue - $65

Diff oil - $30

Mobil 1 Oil - $112

3 Filters - $30

Running in oil - $45

Retune - $440

You'll then need:

Sard 800cc Injectors

Apexi PowerFC

Should cover most of it :(

or save yourself a large sum of cash and do it with the original crank, buy a locally developed garret t04z based turbo kit (ie 3400 instead of 6k)

with the money you save id also go 1000cc injectors, get 6x egt's in there (you want reliability-also make the tuners life a bit easier), twin 044's

dont forget a gearbox upgrade as well, about 5-20k :) n1 block 2k if ya plan on running that power for long, air flow meters if your going pfc, i think 20k doesnt go as far as most of you guys think when building a complete setup, if u budget 20k u will end up spending 30k lol, everything always cost more than u allow for :D

engine rebuild labour as well if your paying someone else to do it, then exhuast, intercooler piping, intake pipes, twin entry fuel rail, fuel pumps, surge tank, intank pump, timing belt, clutch, fuel reg etc

the little things also add up, allow about 1k in braided lines by the time your done, core plugs for the motor, ignition upgrade (cdi/hks dli, etc).

oh the joys of making big power lol ;)

Edited by unique1

Yeah I like the Tomei stroker option but then again i am pretty sure 94 32 gtr's (which mine is) have r33 cranks so could also go that way, not sure.

Wasn't the keenist on going single cos i dont really know what the driveablity will be like and wouldn't mind keeping it stockish looking.

unique1 yeah i know all about this, when i was looking around at doing the v8 twin turbo thing cos built up really quickly but as i said if it goes over that to get the quality and not something i have to baby all the time then ill find a way to do it.

I would go the N1 block option tho and if you can find me one for 2k ill buy you a slab, ha ha.

Yeah I like the Tomei stroker option but then again i am pretty sure 94 32 gtr's (which mine is) have r33 cranks so could also go that way, not sure.

Wasn't the keenist on going single cos i dont really know what the driveablity will be like and wouldn't mind keeping it stockish looking.

unique1 yeah i know all about this, when i was looking around at doing the v8 twin turbo thing cos built up really quickly but as i said if it goes over that to get the quality and not something i have to baby all the time then ill find a way to do it.

I would go the N1 block option tho and if you can find me one for 2k ill buy you a slab, ha ha.

goto www.rhdjapan.com search "N1 engine block" and its $1931.65c US dollars (around $2013AU) delivered to Australia express postage. These are brand new from Japan, great value and u save abit in machining as well, it comes with core plugs all installed, u dont need to acid bath it and its a fresh 86mm bore.

good luck with it mate :)

Edited by unique1

unique1 what do you drink you are owed a slab or seat in the beast when she is done. This site is mint, the Aussy dollar is kicking ass at the moment better get onto the boss for a pay rise so I can get the parts quicker, haha!

Thanks again.

Edited by jippa3000

unique1 what do you drink you are owed a slab or seat in the beast when she is done. This site is mint, the Aussy dollar is kicking ass at the moment better get onto the boss for a pay rise so I can get the parts quicker, haha!

Thanks again.

no need to give us anything i dont mind helping fellow skyline owners, i have been given plenty of help over the years from some of the sau guys and i dont mind assisting when its needed :)

if u need any other info im happy to help i have built a similiar setup over the last 3 years and ive had alot of good and bad experiences along the way lol, but its always worth it in the end. Seriously i wouldnt go too crazy with stroker cranks and hks turbos etc the extra power and torque u get for the price u pay isnt worth it in my opinion, i have both these mods (jun 2.7L kit and hks t04z) and other guys have spent 1/4 of my price and they almost making similiar power figures. If u wanna goto 700rwhp+ then the stroker kit is a good option but u dont see enough benefit at 600hp level to justify the costs imo.

i'd be going n1 block, forged pistons and rods, acl race series bearings, acl head and main studs, oil restrictor mod, bigger sump, t04z, stock crank with collar, jun oil pump, tail wastegate, 1000cc injectors, sard twin entry fuel rail, sard fuel reg, bigger sump with baffles, good triple plate clutch and spend the extra money u save from using stock crank and buy a better gearset for the gearbox, its useless making 600hp if you have to baby into 3rd gear all the time and smashing boxes, its not fun and at 1k a go they aint worth replacing and then doing the same thing again.

thats just my personal opinion from spending big bucks and learning a few lessons along the way :D

Edited by unique1

Thanks heaps man you are one of the goods ones on this which is sometimes hard to find whuch is a real shame.

I gotta go see my engine builder and see what he says, i wanted to keep it twin and have the stroker kit cos i love a really torquey engine (driven too manyof my mates v8's) but if i can do it cheaper and get a similar result then i will be happy.

How does the big single go?? It not like a vl turbo with no boost until 80km and then all of a sudden the thing kicks in?? I do a lot of hil runs so I like some power before 4000rpm.

I come back from holidays on the 10th of June and thats when all the action will start.

Nah just the shifter that changes it from a H pattern to a forward and reverse, I can always remember watching vids of the HKS R33 GTR doing that 7 second pass and thinking i want to beable to shift like that. hahaha the other one would be nice tho in my dreams.

my t04z comes on just under 4000rpm, its making fullboost at 4100rpm from memory, when the motor revs to 8500-9000rpm u have plenty of rpm range, i can launch off the line hard and it wont lag what so ever, maybe if you try and go at 2000rpm in 4th from a roll u get abit of lag but u just drop it back a gear and its gone. I've been in mates twin 2860r gtr and it felt really different, i'd rather the hard hitting single anyday of the year, but thats just my opinion im sure alot of forum users like the linear power of small twins.

your best bet is to go for a ride in a couple of different gtr's with singles and twins and make up your own mind.

The external gate noise is definately a good thing on single setups :)