SAU Community

Mining/oil Work

grandmasterb

Ok so i want to get in on the ground level of a mining or rig job and wondering if anyone has any contacts at all???

Currently reside in Tassie but happy to travel/move if necessary.

Have 2 years experience as an electrical apprentice along with TA/laboring in sparky, building, building aluminum ships, concreting/boxing, road/pipe work and fibre optic installation.

Any help appreciated or general pointing in right direction.

Cheers Ben

Um, not too sure what you mean by getting in on the ground level. Do you have any heavy vehicle experience or licenses? Because even the real grunt work such as a drillers offsider (heavy, slightly dangerous and very physical work in some pretty god awful locations that pays really well) would require a HR as a minimum.

Your best bet would be to talk to a few of the larger HR companies that do short and medium term contract staff for most of the big mining companies such as Rio Tinto and BHP.

Try any of the labour hire firms listed here

http://www.apesma.asn.au/newsviews/profess..._hire_firms.htm

and have a chat to any of them. I do know that both Monadelphous and Intergrated will be able to help with mining specific stuff.

Sorry, no insider help tho :)

Um, not too sure what you mean by getting in on the ground level. Do you have any heavy vehicle experience or licenses? Because even the real grunt work such as a drillers offsider (heavy, slightly dangerous and very physical work in some pretty god awful locations that pays really well) would require a HR as a minimum.

Your best bet would be to talk to a few of the larger HR companies that do short and medium term contract staff for most of the big mining companies such as Rio Tinto and BHP.

Try any of the labour hire firms listed here

http://www.apesma.asn.au/newsviews/profess..._hire_firms.htm

and have a chat to any of them. I do know that both Monadelphous and Intergrated will be able to help with mining specific stuff.

Sorry, no insider help tho :(

Dont currently have HR license but willing to obtain as well as anything else required to get my foot in the door for a position. Will have a look through the list and see what i can find out :laugh:

Have only done 2 years and i've been out of it for a while now, just been doing TA/laboring work trying to get back into it to finish off but im at the point where i would do something for money for the next 5 years, get back on my feet and get ahead and i can always go back to it at a later stage.

Cheers Ben

your looking for a golden ticket ay!

what ever you do dont use a agency they take way to much of your wage, you need to know someone that knows someone that happens to be a project manager :P

what ever you do dont use a agency they take way to much of your wage, you need to know someone that knows someone that happens to be a project manager :laugh:

That really depends on exactly what you are doing though. Up until Feb this year I spent 4 years working under various agency's and their payment arrangements have always been completely seperate from my rate of pay. Market rates will determine what you earn usually, and most agencies work off a percentage of your gross pay, but like I said, it may depend on what you do (I am a mechanical designer/drafter)

yer iam with an agency now and the rates are great, but as you said it depends on what you are doing and your income. With the high rates and hours for miners the % they take kills alot of what you could get with out there aid :blink: But having said that just using an agency to get in there and get experience would be a good idea if you are finding it hard getting in another way.

working as a sparky in the mining industry in the NT if ya had a ticket getting work isnt that hard

it isnt all its cracked up to be though trade qualified people are getting similar hourly rates in town up here its only the long hours and shifts that are making it seem like big cash

what ever you do dont use a agency they take way to much of your wage, you need to know someone that knows someone that happens to be a project manager :(

Not at all, as i said im prepared to start at the bottom and prove myself and move up. In doing so i am prepared to work my butt off and do what ever it takes for the next 3-5years to save money, pay the house off, buy a block of land (to eventually build on) and support my partner so she can pursue one of her dreams of writing/illustrating a children's book as she has helped support me for the last 3 years.

I've never had a problem working through a hire company so far, as others have stated they generally set your hourly rate and charge accordingly on top for their cut :(

I can ask my dad if his employer is taking on any 2nd yr apprentice's if you'd like to get back into the trade?

they work one week on one week off...

Kylie id love to get back in and finish my apprenticeship off and if your father can help accommodate that in anyway it would be greatly appreciated :down:

working as a sparky in the mining industry in the NT if ya had a ticket getting work isnt that hard

it isnt all its cracked up to be though trade qualified people are getting similar hourly rates in town up here its only the long hours and shifts that are making it seem like big cash

Like anything if you have a ticket its "generally" not that hard acquiring work in your chosen profession. Id love to finish my time off and have my trade under my belt and if that happens i'll be stoked.

If it doesn't but im still able to find work within the mining/oil industry and do what it is i've set out too then there is no reason why i cant go back later on and finish off, especially as it would be easier to handle the apprentice wages if house is paid off and no/minimal debts owing :(

Thanks to everyone for the replies, its greatly appreciated

Ben

• 1 month later...

Chances are you will be taken in by hire company:

I work for one of the largest Iron Ore Companies in the world - however I am contracted to the mining company by Skilled, They take a total of 35% of my wage!

So I am doing the hard yards on not so great money atm and hopefully in the future the Iron ore company will take me on!

Once on staff then you make the $$$$$$

Edited by kx2fity

Although skilled do take a cut, it is a great starting point as once your in, your pretty set, stay with them for a year or so and go looking around yourself, i know a few ppl that have got mining jobs through skilled.

The thing with hire companies are they can be the way into a good job.

Companies like HI/RIO TINTO will get you in on a 3 month contract.

If you are no good they will get rid of you, but if you are ok they keep you on.

After 3 months, if you have proved yourself, the chances are they will offer you a job.

This works out cheaper for them as once they employ you and you turn out to be useless they are stuck with you.

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Agreed with the rest. Also at least based on my own research, there are no readily available stock or close-to-stock RB20Neo maps that you could download and use as a base were you to buy a complete standalone ECU, and the regular 20DET maps don't really work well so you'd need to take it to a tuner if you have no experience. I installed an AEM V2 on my 20Neo+T and had lots of headaches until I got it to run and idle properly but I've yet to remap it fully. You have to start building up your timing and fuel maps entirely from the ground up; even the ones for a 25 didn't work at all.
    • Got some decent progress after work yesterday and also today. Got the ECU all wired and passenger side interior all back together. Kept the wiring up nice and high to avoid people standing on it. Got the surge tank relays rewired and tidied up the pump wiring and cut a hole to bring the cables through.  I found a spare USB cable I had lying around so I decided to cut it up and see if I could use it for my CAN 1 bus. Turned out one of the pins I needed was to the shield of the cable so i cut it up and desoldered it and resoldered to the correct pins.  Had the issue with the powersteering hose hitting the A/C compressor and fan shroud. I pulled the bracket off and modified it to remove the front mounting point which now clears it all. Will keep an eye on it to see if theres any signs of fouling once it's up and running.
    • That's some good input mate. Nice.
    • So today I went well outside my comfort zone (again) to replace my valve cover gasket.  I have had a big leak over the exhaust leading to a lot of smoke and smell every time I drove it. The leak was in the rear driver's corner.  The job wasn't hard as such, just a bit finicky and time consuming.  The old gasket was rock hard and broken right where the leak was.  The leaky corner had so much sitting oil in it.  The good news to my amateur eyes was no buildup or sludge under the cover. It all looked fairly nice in there.   I haven't started it yet. I ran out of light and body when putting the coils and injector loom back in. Probs only 30min left for the morning.  I was so nervous putting the cover back on, I must have lifted it 5 times to make sure the gasket was still seated properly. God it's going to be nice to be leak free and not make other traffic light queuers think my car is about to explode.
    • Gave the Mazda it's first wash, it will need some clay, a light compound, and polish polish to remove a few swirl marks, but that will be a job for when I have a full day to get my DA polisher action on