SAU Community

Tuning The 30det

Alf

I'm after peoples experiences on how much dyno time and tuning cost to get their 30DET's tuned to the point where they are satisfied.

I have a 25/30 with PFC+FcDatalogit good for 350rwkw and wanted a rough of idea on $ and time needed for tuning.

Edited by Alf

tune it your self and save a shit load of cash with just as good result. depending on how you want it tuned, at least 3 to 4 hours on the road

get your self a autronic air fuel meter or a tech edge and go for it

i usually find that after 2 and half hours i am wasting time on the dyno and should really get off it... after doing a full tune.

have done full ecu remaps in less then 90 minutes but they were close to stockers

take it to a tuner with a dyno, there's no substitute for a twin cam head and ecu that was never meant to have a 3litre block under it , your asking for trouble trying to DIY it.

fill ya car up with 98 octane and about $800 for a full map and tune.

this will get you the safest maximum hp for what the engine is capable of,

not only that, the tuner can tell you details, like injector cycle, fuel pressures, timing, air flow,

giving you first hand knowledge of how close to the limit the sensors are, eg out flowing the afm, leaning the engine out due to low fuel pressure, and the duty cycle of the injectors and what % they are running at,

exhaust temperature's which give a good indication of timing and air fuel ratio, as the more advanced the timing the hotter your turbo's will run and the greater the risk(for all you people still using ceramic turbo's) of sh*tting themselves.

that is just scratching the surface,

Sorry, would have to disagree with most of that. Firstly it is basically rare for a dyno shop to use an EGT to tune. Secondly an rb30 with a twin cam head makes no difference to the tuning, and no dyno operator will guarantee that is the most safe power, unless they built the motor. All the other bits can be just as easily monitered using the datalogit(actually thats what the dyno tuners use to moniter the sensors). I would get accustomed with the tuning gear, and do a street tune, and then hire a dyno for the full throttle stuff when its run in.