SAU Community

Hicas

Hi ppl.

well i was driving today for about 10 mins the HICAS light comes on,i turned the car off then on and it's gone,drive for another 10mins it's back on again.does any one know why it does that?help plz ppl its annoying.cheers

Hi ppl.

well i was driving today for about 10 mins the HICAS light comes on,i turned the car off then on and it's gone,drive for another 10mins it's back on again.does any one know why it does that?help plz ppl its annoying.cheers

check your power steering fluid. when it gets low it'll turn the light on

So it happened after you removed and refitted the wheel?

If so, make sure the hicas sensor arm is poking through the square hole on the rear cover of the wheel.

hahaha same here mine was really starting to piss me off, and then on highway it would always screw up and the steering would feel like crap, who wants hicas anyways, im about to lock mine this weekend :P

Hi ppl.

did the steering become tighter, and did re-alignment of the steering wheel and hicas sensor resolve your issuE?

^^^

^^^

Check All fluids... So Power Steering / HICAS Fuild

Any of you had new tyres and a Wheel alignment done lately?

If so,

Get your mechanics to check the alignement again

Then check the steering wheel sensor. Clean the sensor to get rid of any dirt / dust / grease and re-align the sensor back to the original position was it was when you take it out.

Then ask them to run a Diagnostics (Plug Diagnoistics Computer in) to check all the Sensors

The Diagnostics can give a reading of the steering sensor

For Example, Half a turn to the right = 180 degrees / Full turn to the right = 360 degrees.

If the Diagnostics does not read like that then it could be a Tyre / Caster rod issue. The rods could be out of alignment and need to be re-adjusted.

Re-align the Rods to match the Sensor to 0.

This happened to me and problem was fixed after this procedure.

It took atleast a day or so just fine adjusting the rods to get it exact reading.

^^^

^^^

Check All fluids... So Power Steering / HICAS Fuild

Any of you had new tyres and a Wheel alignment done lately?

If so,

Get your mechanics to check the alignement again

Then check the steering wheel sensor. Clean the sensor to get rid of any dirt / dust / grease and re-align the sensor back to the original position was it was when you take it out.

Then ask them to run a Diagnostics (Plug Diagnoistics Computer in) to check all the Sensors

The Diagnostics can give a reading of the steering sensor

For Example, Half a turn to the right = 180 degrees / Full turn to the right = 360 degrees.

If the Diagnostics does not read like that then it could be a Tyre / Caster rod issue. The rods could be out of alignment and need to be re-adjusted.

Re-align the Rods to match the Sensor to 0.

This happened to me and problem was fixed after this procedure.

It took atleast a day or so just fine adjusting the rods to get it exact reading.

Hi mate, very interesting, never heard of this before,,,

since, i never had any problem with my hicas but after i changed front castor rods (adjust.) the hicas light started to come on after i drove over 80kms/hr then, i went back to get the wheels alignement done (4 wheels) and the problem still there!!

by the way, where can i get this done/check? i don't think where i've got my alignement done, there have the Diagnoistics tool! where steering is wheel sensor and how to get it cleaned??

cheers

Ford

Hi mate, very interesting, never heard of this before,,,

since, i never had any problem with my hicas but after i changed front castor rods (adjust.) the hicas light started to come on after i drove over 80kms/hr then, i went back to get the wheels alignement done (4 wheels) and the problem still there!!

by the way, where can i get this done/check? i don't think where i've got my alignement done, there have the Diagnoistics tool! where steering is wheel sensor and how to get it cleaned??

cheers

Ford

Hey Subie!

To get to the Steering Wheel Sensor, you have to take the steering wheel off and there should be a circular disk or plate, that is the sensor.

Unplug it and give it a clean (BUT before taking it out, mark a texture on it so you know you will place it back in the correct spot.

To clean it, my mechanic used an air gun and I think he sprayed some WD 40, gave it a good flush then placed it back in the correct spot. It gets rid of the dust and dirt.

Before I cleaned the sensor, my HICAS light would come on as soon as you start to turn left, like half a turn. After cleaing it it did not come on till ONE FULL LOCK to the LEFT.

Thats when he plugged in the Diagnostics computer. It can pick up all the sensors the car has, so we could isolate where the problem was. The mechanic should have the diagnositcs computer, unless you got one which probley set you back $6000 LOL!

As I said it was the rods that need alignment / adjustment.

Anyway I got 2 mechanics. The one who fixed my HICAS problem was a family friend of mine, Jansen who works at TGS Performance

18 Bricker St

Cheltenham, Victoria

Melways Reference

Page 78 - B10

Phone: (03) 9555-0699

and my other mechanic is Shane at Le Mans Automotive

15 Websters Rd

Templestowe VIC 3106

Phone: (03) 9846 2761

If you are near these areas I suggest you take it to them, unless your HICAS is fixed... Or take it back to your mechanic...

I was not there when Jansen fix the problem so I didnt get to see exactly how he fixed it but this is pretty much what I was told.

But let me know how you go and I can ask for you and get some idea.

Cool!

thanks for the reply mate,,, but unfortunately I'm in NSW otherwise i'll take it to one of ur mechanic..

i'll talk to my mechanic here and see what he can do

cheers

Ah damn! LOL!

Yeah I guess just mention to him the Steering Wheel Sensor, re-adjust the rods and diganose the car.

All the best!

sorry to jack again.

when i sit on the freeway after a while my light HICAS light pops on, or if i go hard through a few corners it lights up... does this mean i have to check the fluids or go get that diagnostic work done??

cheers

rhys