SAU Community

Enthusiast Vs Hoon

just another note onto this, I got pulled over by the local TMU car for a "random" check last night, the cop shone his torch on the microtech dash, the wheels and the exhaust and proceeded to ask if it was a "real GT", and whether I was behaving myself in it.

Got off with a warning for a smashed headlight cover (hit a kangaroo). I was pretty pleased that they didnt use the oppurtunity to defect me for everything under the sun!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i talk to a bloke on a diffrent furom and too him anyone who drives a import is a hoon end of story . so i asked him wahts the difference between a hoon driver and a bad driver . i know he has had his car in the paintshop 3 times cause he has hit peoples cars in carparks and fked his front bumper i said ive had my skyline nearly 4 yrs now and never put a sctrach on it so who;s the better driver you with 3 new bumpers or me the hoon without a scratch.

he dosent talk to me anymore lol,

Edited by mid life crisis

Here's a Chance to SAY YOUR PIECE: I've organised a GT-R/GTT Drive Day before, with my son.

No probs from onlookers at stops or on the road (even from a Falcon parade at K Valley). None whatsoever!

But what does the average guy on the street think about Skylines in your opinion?

Is he influenced by the age of the driver?

Does he form an opinion from the sound generated from the exhaust + planting the right pedal?

Do the wheels give off any messages?

What %age of us give off an ENTHUSIAST IMAGE Vs a HOON IMAGE ???

I think it also has to do with disposition. I know I drive my GTR vastly different to the way my dad drives it (when I let him hah).

I tend to accelerate quickly, 4500 rpm shifts, which isnt pushing anything but also isnt slow compared to your average ride. And yeah, my zorst does make some noise... I hope that alone doesnt make me a hoon.

On the other side, I sometimes do floor it while accelerating (all within speed limits of course) and can get 4 wheel drifts going. I'm nearly 30 and I take the surroundings into account cause I really dont wanna do time for killing someone thru idiot driving... generally tho since theres nobody around, nobody sees it... God bless country backroads

While in the city I always stick to speed limits, even if I do accelerate and change faster than most. But I take such liberties, because I can. And I'd make no apologies for this because theres a hell of a lot of other people who drag me off (and obviously win) when I'm driving as per the norm.

The image of the hoon is a young adult male, wearing baggy pants, cranking hiphop, having a baseball cap (probably backwards) and a bomber/nfl jacket, whilst wearing rebooks or some other sort of oversized sneaker. If you got a shaved head and wear sunglasses, or wear any jewelry, or have immaculate paint, or have big rims, or have shiny lights, then you too are part of the stereotype :(

So far the man on the street (that I've spoken to) are either indifferent, neutral (with grudging respect) or fanboys... havent had any negative responses but I put that down to the fact I have my stereo cranked and the exhaust making a low rev BRRR noise, and the fact I couldnt give a rats ass about anyone elses opinion :)

Triple WIN

-D

you're are not a hoon unless you:

a. possess a lower IQ than your car, and can prove it;

b. wear out tyres in less time than it takes Bob Jane to fit them, and can't understand why;

c. believe that burnouts on public roads is coooool;

d. have little or no ability to make a good decision whilst behind the wheel;

f. have no regard for the safety of other road users;

g. have purchased a good car and turned it into a haggard PoS within six months;

h. whine when the cops get serious.

i. believe that tyres and bearing surfaces regenerate overnight, whilst the car is parked in the garage, but can't prove it; and

j. are a compulsive "showoff"

just a few that came to mind; must be more!!.

finally, anyone with common dog-sense will be able to identify a 'hoon' from an 'enthusiast':: those that can't, don't matter much... until they get elected to positions of authority; not much 'common dog-sense' evident among Gold Coast City Councillors!!. no matter if you are a hoon, drug dealer, enthusiast or interested bystander at a car meet; around here, all will be tarred with the same "hoon" brush.

Enthusiast [en-thoo-zi-ust]:

1. A person filled with or guided by enthusiasm.

2. An ardent and enthusiastic supporter of some person or activity.

3. Enthusiasm (root) - en-theos = in God. An enthusiast is a person inspired by god.

So Google tells us to be an enthusiast you must be guided, filled and inspired by something. In this case by Skylines, GTR's and performance machines. It's related to spirituality, in that we respect our cars beyond their abilities as machines, like we respect our wives'/girlfriends more than their ability to give us kids. 98% of Skyline owners i've met have enormous respect for the marque.

Hoon [houn]:

1. A loud, obnoxious person.

2. The term "Hoon" was first used in Australia at the turn of the 20th century where it referred to a man living off immoral earnings (i.e. a pimp).

3. A lout; A young man who drives badly or excessively quickly; a street drag racer often driving heavily-customized cars.

With hoon we can see there is no layers beneath immediate gratification of the driver. There are no standards or respect for the machine. For example, ever see ricer bodykits, bald tyres or backyard mods on Skylines? Well i won't name any races of people that do this (Lebbos) but it happens, as do heli's and all round tyre-frying in public when some hoons decide to stand out for no reason. Another way to say it: excess without taste.

So we ALL get this label, thanks to 2% of people, whether our mods are our hobby or we throw on a bleed valve and gut the cat to make extra noise for laps of Brighton-le-Sands.

People in general are idiots

Best quote of the thread! :D

Anyone going faster than you has to be a hoon, anyone who is slower is an idiot.. You cant win either your a hoon or an idiot.

Amen to that brother! Spoken like a prodigy :P

Edited by R338OY

lol i bet ya anyone on this forum (bar the skylines prior r32) is considered a hoon by 90% of road users. my nonna is 70 sumthing and knows what a skyline is. enthusiast or not - your still a hoon thanks to the TV and all the latest BS.

just yesterday got a note from the EPA for an noise test - turns out some f**kstick in my street dobbed me in? to be honest my car is pretty quiet compared to a honda with a cannon and i dont flog it. Just normal driving and have been reported.

i honesty think were all going to get shafted sooner or later especialy if ur like me and r on ur p's - but the 26 is too good to piss off lol

• 1 month later...

Funny this thread...

If I get outta da car in ma thongs and T-shirt I cop a he's a hoon look

But if I get out of my washed gleaming car in a suit, I collect a classy look.

Appearances can create stereotypes for sure! :)

Edited by Matty_GT-R33

lol I'm in that boat.

I drive my skyline to meet business folkie at about the age of 40.. Alot are Millionairs mind you, but they look at me as a 'young professional' as I get out of my clean r33 in my long black pants, button shirt and shiny leather shoes while holding my laptop.

I find alot of your real hoons are the middle age women :S My mum has owned a BMW (she gave it to the church not long ago.. *sigh*) and she travels at 80/90 on 70 roads and never gets in trouble for it... My sisters, gf, and auntie drive with either the foot on the breaks or fully to the floor.

You also have your young males in the VL / VN's that are almost white from loss of paint with a packed car.

Hehe, mum jumped in my car and ripped a burn out in the front of my house and freaked out (she aint used to anything with power really and mine is just an NA).

I'm known by my family and friends to drive like a grandma.

I think it also has to do with disposition. I know I drive my GTR vastly different to the way my dad drives it (when I let him hah).

I tend to accelerate quickly, 4500 rpm shifts, which isnt pushing anything but also isnt slow compared to your average ride. And yeah, my zorst does make some noise... I hope that alone doesnt make me a hoon.

On the other side, I sometimes do floor it while accelerating (all within speed limits of course) and can get 4 wheel drifts going. I'm nearly 30 and I take the surroundings into account cause I really dont wanna do time for killing someone thru idiot driving... generally tho since theres nobody around, nobody sees it... God bless country backroads

While in the city I always stick to speed limits, even if I do accelerate and change faster than most. But I take such liberties, because I can. And I'd make no apologies for this because theres a hell of a lot of other people who drag me off (and obviously win) when I'm driving as per the norm.

The image of the hoon is a young adult male, wearing baggy pants, cranking hiphop, having a baseball cap (probably backwards) and a bomber/nfl jacket, whilst wearing rebooks or some other sort of oversized sneaker. If you got a shaved head and wear sunglasses, or wear any jewelry, or have immaculate paint, or have big rims, or have shiny lights, then you too are part of the stereotype :(

So far the man on the street (that I've spoken to) are either indifferent, neutral (with grudging respect) or fanboys... havent had any negative responses but I put that down to the fact I have my stereo cranked and the exhaust making a low rev BRRR noise, and the fact I couldnt give a rats ass about anyone elses opinion :P

Triple WIN

-D

Thats ok but i wear baggy pants and in summer a backwards hat or big air force ones and sunnies and jewlery and im not a hoon i drive my GTR with respect i respect the road rules how i dress has nothing to do with anything i have seen 40 year old guys in suits driving mircs with semi slicks and racing on princess high way before and i think what your wearing has nothing to do with anything how u dress depends on where your going but deep down if your going to be a hoon and hoon around then thats how it is and there is not much more to that... i love driving my car in the city even tho the twin plate gives me some trouble hahaha but i love turning and getting people who smile and give me the thumbs up as aposed to thoes who hear the blow off vaulve and start dialing the number to 60 min and today tonight...

Edited by _K1NGTR_

true story:

i was driving home on windsor rd, doing the speed limit, quiet music, minding my own business. I came up to a school zone and correctly slowed to 40kph, when a soccer mum in a bmw x5 roared up behind me flashing high beams and then beeped me. I put my window down and literally satup off the seat to get my entire arm out of the car to point at the "SCHOOL ZONE - 40KPH" sign as I drove past. The soccer mum found a bit of space in the other lane and roared past me. she had two kids in the back, and would have easily hit 120kph in an 80 zone.

15 minutes later i got pulled over and defected for my pod. I told the officer "yes im guilty i know its illegal and will accept full responsibility" to which he then was really cool to me and basically just said put your old filter back on and turn up to get it inspected.

it totally infuriated me how much skyline drivers are stereotyped when there are some really dangerous stupid people out there who don't get caught.

true story:

i was driving home on windsor rd, doing the speed limit, quiet music, minding my own business. I came up to a school zone and correctly slowed to 40kph, when a soccer mum in a bmw x5 roared up behind me flashing high beams and then beeped me. I put my window down and literally satup off the seat to get my entire arm out of the car to point at the "SCHOOL ZONE - 40KPH" sign as I drove past. The soccer mum found a bit of space in the other lane and roared past me. she had two kids in the back, and would have easily hit 120kph in an 80 zone.

15 minutes later i got pulled over and defected for my pod. I told the officer "yes im guilty i know its illegal and will accept full responsibility" to which he then was really cool to me and basically just said put your old filter back on and turn up to get it inspected.

it totally infuriated me how much skyline drivers are stereotyped when there are some really dangerous stupid people out there who don't get caught.

Thats friken funny i got a good one to my car was on rear wheel drive for like ages and i had horrible tires on the rear and it was pissing down with rain anyway i turned onto greens road this is almost 2 years ago now and my rear kicked out full unexpected and it was nothing major i backed off and kept driving i see someone from the corner of my eye so i look in the right lane and this mum in the passenger seat with her husband driving started holding her phone up then threaten to call the cops so at the lights i put the window down im like excuse me did i do something and she was going on about how its people like me that are a danger i was just in shock like you have got to be friken joking if i was in second gear and smoke was going everywhere cuz i was hitting rev limiter then ok fair enough but i was on the way to see my mum i mean you cant even drive normal anymore its stupid

I got pulled over in year 12 once...

Had 4 cops get out the car and question me and my passengers (fiance and her friend). Asking them if there is anything wrong with my car etc... They all circled the car and walked around it... It pissed me off...

I couldnt help myself but say "I didn't realise it would be this difficult to drive down the road to visit my mum". I also asked for their badge number and wrote a report in to the local coppers about them.

They asked me to come in, but being 17 I was a little scared and just said "as long as you know what your employees are doing I dont need to come in" as my way of getting out of that one lol...

• 3 weeks later...

Just received my SAU Memberrship Card! Hooray!

What I really like about it is...

The Title:-

THE NISSAN SKYLINE ENTHUSIASTS CLUB OF NSW.

But Hey, No-one had to tell me that I'm really an enthusiast lol

I just like the title that makes my status "OFFICIAL" - and thus proud to wear! :(

I was up at my house in the moutains here in japan getting it ready for winter when my next door neighbour (about ) 70 came up and went ...ooohh Skyline...GTR 33 sugoi...great car..!! Next he said..oohh vintage car..f**k the cars only 12 years old..But the old fella was stoked and checked it all out. I asked him if he wanted to go for quick spin and he was estatic. Driving down the road he`s going..How fast, how fast so I gave it a squirt and he loved it!!

So who`s the hoon here!!

Edited by elrodeo666

in nsw, i don't think i've ever really seen a skyline driver carry on or drive like a knob.maybe a few,but everyone already knows their car is more then likely a weapon, they have nothing more to prove.

most "hoons" get around in various models of commodores, doing their "foot ons"and such. or trying to race other stupid commodores.(i don't get that)

i see hoons as the ones who get 4 mates, pile into a commo, with the intention of racing and doing burnouts on public roads in a crowded place. i mean to everyone else reading this, i'm just an average joe. and that's how i see it. of course you get our lancers and shit with cannons droning, but they are just a lol. no one gives a f**k, not even an average joe. he has other things to worry about then someguys mad ass chrome lights.

myself,

I respect a tidy car going for a cruise, espcially if they are indicating correctly, being passive, not being gee'd up by other cars around them. the occasional "psshhhhhhhhhhh" is cool. but make sure the police don't hear it. there's nothing better then a tidy gtr humming by.

i can't wait to own one, just need to ditch these p's.

i am very upset about the way that the media shows P plate drivers in nice cars

i will admit that i have given my car shit. but i am not like these dick heads that rap them selves around trees.

i will take of fast but i wont spin the wheels up i very rarely speed unlike these guys in commodores that don't know when to stop.

all of this hoon law is bull shit they should throw the book at people that kill other people because of the driving. it is very sad that there sister or best friend died and they are very upset about the crash. well i say f**k then they should be made examples of so that others don't do the same.

they should target people on phones. so many times that i have been in a situation where a person on a phone has almost hit me.

because i drive past a school a lot you get all of the soccer mums that are on the phone in there big 4wd and they run a red light just as you got a green or don't give way at a give way sine.

Police need to really focus on what is really causing deaths on our roads instead of making sure cars dont have a Pod and a FMIC...

I mean seriously its pretty sad to see how the federal police are tackling the p-plate situation, with these useless restrictions and so on.

At the end of the day i feel the police are actually contributing to the danger on our roads simply because they have to power to do good but they choose to give into the media once again and do what they do best.. useless crap that doesn't help anyone.

Edited by MP_R33

• 4 weeks later...

News Release to-day states that an impounded car was handed back to who????

....The Mother of the Driver - That's Who!!! Yes, she's the registered owner!!!

The judge said that since street racing was a "trifling matter", he couldn't see why the car couldn't be returned to Mrs So-and-so!

Guess what???

That car has big fat rear wheels and 'Nitrous' as if...

....As if the mother owns that car as her runaround and her son just happened to be driving it that night and just happened to let his testosterone get himself caught up in a street race!!!

Motto??? HOON'S LOOPHOLE = LET YOUR MOTHER TAKE REGO' OWNERSHIP :):)

News Release to-day states that an impounded car was handed back to who????

....The Mother of the Driver - That's Who!!! Yes, she's the registered owner!!!

The judge said that since street racing was a "trifling matter", he couldn't see why the car couldn't be returned to Mrs So-and-so!

Guess what???

That car has big fat rear wheels and 'Nitrous' as if...

....As if the mother owns that car as her runaround and her son just happened to be driving it that night and just happened to let his testosterone get himself caught up in a street race!!!

Motto??? HOON'S LOOPHOLE = LET YOUR MOTHER TAKE REGO' OWNERSHIP :(:D

I just knew you'd come out of the closet sometime Johnny!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tez