SAU Community

I Need Help (p Plate Laws)

Seb, where is this list, can i take a look please.

I wasn't aware of the list, i thought it was just what you first stated:

-Eight or more cylinders

-A turbocharged engine

-A supercharged engine

-Engine performance modifications

pm with the list or post it up :D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seb, where is this list, can i take a look please.

I wasn't aware of the list, i thought it was just what you first stated:

-Eight or more cylinders

-A turbocharged engine

-A supercharged engine

pm with the list or post it up :D

It's not extensive research by any means. But its out of the latest Fast Fours mag

The article is about the best buys for P-Platers, with like the Top 10 cars listed. The list I posted before about prohibited vehicles was only from NSW, not for Australia. So my mistake on that regard.

Here are the conditions for P-platers from NSW, QLD and Victoria. Sorry guys, these are the only ones listed

NSW - prohibited from driving (with P1/P2 issued after 11 July 2005)

-Eight or more cylinders (except diesel)

-A turbocharged engine (e.d)

-A supercharged engine (e.d)

-cars restricted from driving

-BMW M and M3

-Honda NSX

-Nissan 350Z

-All Porsches (past 1994)

-exceptions in NSW

-All diesel powered vehicles

-Suzuki Cappuccino (1992-97)

-Daihatsu Copen

-Smart Cars (all)

Queensland - prohibited from driving

-Eight or more cylinders

-A turbocharged or supercharged engine (except diesel)

-An engine with a power output of more than 200kW

-A rotary engine with a capacity of more than 1146cc

-An engine performance modification that is not standard

-exceptions (turbocharged) in QLD

-Suzuki Cappucino (1992-97)

-Daihatsu Copen (2003 +)

-Smart fortwo Coupe (2000+)

-Smart fortwo Cabriolet (2000+)

-Smart Roadster (2000+)

Victoria - prohibited from driving (with P1/P2 license issued after 1 July 07)

-Eight or more cylinders

-Turbocharged or supercharged engine (except diesel)

-A modified engine that increases performance

-BMW M (98)

-BMW M3 (94-04)

-BMW M5 (90)

-BMW Z4 (2006+)

-Nissan 350Z (02+)

-Honda NSX (1991-2002)

-Porsche 911 (93-06)

-Porsche (Boxster)

-Porsche Cayman (06+)

-Mercedes Benz SLK 360 (04+)

-Mercedes Benz C350 (05+)

-Mercedes Benz C36 (1995)

-exceptions

-Turbocharged or supercharged diesel powered vehicles

-All models of Smart Car

-Suzuki Cappuccino (92-97)

-Daihatsu Copen (03+)

The ones that made it through regardless of state:

-E30 BMW M3

-Lotus Elise

-VW Golf R32

Hope this helps!

Edited by SEB88Y

Hmms, queensland seem behind everyone. Ah well good for us :D

Thanks, that helped.

So what did they recommend as best buys?

The Top 10 were...

Nissan Pulsar SSS (N14)

Mazda MX-5 (NA6)

Honda Integra Type R (DC2)

Toyota MR2 (SW20)

Renaultsport Clio 182

Proton Satria GTI

Nissan Silvia Autech Version (S15)

Suzuki Swift GTI

Toyota Supra (JZA80)

Madza Series RX-7 Series IV/V

Seb

Yeah I was in the same position as you a few months ago and I opted for an R33 GTS and couldn't be happier :thumbsup: Oh and trust me the NAs are not slow by any means so I'm sure you will not be disappointed with it as a first car.

Move to WA so you can drive a turbo :(

Hey guys,

I I live in WA so does that mean i can drive a turbo while im on my L plates?

I may be thinking about a nissan silvia s13 and doing that up, what do you guys think?

Thanks

No restrictions on L's well in QLD at least.

After that, its game over, unless... there are a few reasons, search your rta.

WA is cool with no restrictions lol. so, whatever you can afford, go for it :P

Okay cool,

So your saying that in WA i can drive a turbo charged car when i am on my Ls and Ps.

Also whats a s13 silvia like, thinking about buying stock and modding it.

No restrictions on L's well in QLD at least.

After that, its game over, unless... there are a few reasons, search your rta.

WA is cool with no restrictions lol. so, whatever you can afford, go for it :P

Well i'm only coming off from what s2k12 said.

But i know in QLD, L platers have no restrictions.

Silvia, try, nissansilvia.com.au.

This site = skylines :P

Just saying that, cause i have nfi.

Haha yeah, no vehicle restrictions over here yet, and I have a reliable source that tells me it's not even on the cards yet. Although in a few months, P-platers will only have 4 points to play with, so keep that in mind lol.

Edit: Silvias are a very good first car IMO, being light and well balanced is ideal to learn with. Just don't go nuts on getting more power from it, because an SR20DET version will need better suspension & brakes well before you run out of power, and an SR20DE wont respond well enough to mods to make it worth doing.

Edited by s2k12

Before buying my car (alfa 156) i test drove a fair number of the cars on SEB88Y's list

Best drive hands down was the Clio Sport, and if i didnt need a 4 door car I probably would have bought one. the DC2 type R came a clost 2nd, but not as comfy as the clio.

However your probably dont want to know what the best car is for a learner, you want to own a Skyline, and i know why.

So im my opinion buy ur R33 GTS, you will love it, and it may not be technicaly the best P plater car, but that doesnt really matter, it looks and sounds like a skyline and at the end of the day thats what you really want.

When your off your Ps (or better yet wait till ur 25 so you can actually afford ensurance for a turbo car) get something nice, in the mean time youll be happy with a non turbo 33....just dont get an auto.

im a p plater with laws in victoria

i drive a 33 gts series 2

i LOVE the car

it still goes hard as hell

sure i think about a turbo about 5 times a day

but i love skylines

and when im driving down a street and people are looking at the car it doesn't matter if its turbo or not

its fairly poor fuel efficiency and you have to put premium in, but if you've got the income then why not..

then in 3 years time. imagine how much more you will appreciate it when you put a snail in.

p.s i wouldn't recommend this but i may/may not have some friends that went over to WA to get there license with no laws and have there mail etc directed to there house in Victoria. cops pull them over and just breath test them. no P/W no turbo laws

got a mate driving a supercharged v8 monaro.. making around 400kw and his 18

Edited by finster

Hey guys thanks for your imput, I have decided on getting the r33 gts. I was wondering if i get the car and when i turn 25 i can put a turbo in it and effectively it will be a gts-t? correct?

Also what are some good mods i can do that will be p plate legal, performance and eye candy mods :thumbsup:

CHeers

Jamie

eye candy mods

lower it

(not 2 low)

put it on some nice rims

tinted windows

you can get away with a exhaust and its not really an engine modification

ummmm pod filter your 99% likely to get away with it but technically it does increase performance so they can get u 4 it.

you wont regret it

my mates give me a bit of shit when were together.. u know... "what dose" every time i change gears

but when you drive past a shop window and see car in reflection you will know uve made a good choice

Edited by finster

you can get away with a exhaust and its not really an engine modification

ummmm pod filter your 99% likely to get away with it but technically it does increase performance so they can get u 4 it.

an exhuast system is class as a preformance upgrade, and increases power a million times over what a pod will, my car actauly loses power with a pod filter.

Often also means smaller brakes, different diffs, different wheel stud patterns, weaker gearboxes, etc as it doesn't need to be designed/built for the extra power associated with the turbo.

Thats why you buy a car that was designed to be a good NA.. not a car that was designed to be a turbo then "downgraded" to be NA

If your going to buy a GTS then turbo.. you need to replace brakes, gauge cluster, gear box, fuel pump, wheel hubs and diff just to be on par as a stock turbo.. so no.. its not "that easy".. you also need to change eninge.. or go slap a turbo onto the side of your RB25DE to make it an RB25DE+T.. but because turbo's need a lower compression ratio than NA's.. and you will have a turbo on NA compression ratio.. which means you can't run more than 10-12 odd PSi.. you need a retune aswell.. ends up messy and expensive.. so the easiest way is to just sell your NA and buy a turbo R33.

Sell the na and buy a turbo.. its easier..

in all honesty.. as someone who drives an NA skyline.. its not worth it mate.. and I have GTS4.. so turbo brakes, 5 stud wheels and VLSD..

Buy a car that was designed to be a good NA performer from the begining.. Id take a type R ANYDAY over an NA R33

If I had my time again.. I think id be driving an S13 than my GTS4..

Dont just buy a skyline because its a "skyline".. there are better options out there for NA drivers..

thats just my 2 cents.. it comes down to you in the end..

an exhuast system is class as a preformance upgrade, and increases power a million times over what a pod will, my car actauly loses power with a pod filter.

not a muffler tip to get a nice purr from the car..

Mate, if you can afford the extra stuff (insurance mainly, the only people willing to touch a skyline are Shannons and Just Cars, who make you pay for the privelidge) i'd say go for it.

What most people here are ignoring with all the power talk is that Skylines (well, my 33 at least) are quite brilliant handling cars. When you come to a twisty section of road, that you know well, it'll be tough to stop smiling.

And in all likelihood, by the time you're 25, it'll probably be cheaper to sell up for a 34 GTT if you want one.