SAU Community

Power Fc Problem

So i got my brand new power fc for my car today. I hooked it up but i get a ticking from the reley near the battery. I also get a ticking from my boost solenoid. The ticking from the solenoid goes after 10 secs but the from the back its still there. i read that r33 gtst's sometimes have a voltage problem getting to the ecu so i hooked up a contant power wire to the constant power wire on the ecu to help with the voltage but that doesnt fix the reley ticking. The check engine light also flashes quickly for 10 secs but stops when the boost solenoid stops ticking. Ive disconnected the solenoid to stop the ticking but the reley at the back still ticks. On the hand cont it goes past the apexi logo to the menu. But it goes blank (backlight still on) when i get to the 'function' setting to try n disable the boost cont setting, so atleast i know the unit is suited to my car. Ive read Paulr33's FAQ's but dont get an answer for my problem. Can anyone help me please????

for that level of operation something is horribly wrong

ticking relays is a sign of damaged components usualy

along with flashing engine check light something is wrong dude

i would undo main battery terminal - un-install powerfc, re-install stock ecu

confirm car runs as normal and no wierd shit (start it etc)

then if all well put the PFC back in turn car to ACC but dont start it

check normal hand controller operation etc

then if all ok start it (or better yet do DATA INIT before you start the car - its in the FAQ)

anything is possible - smell the PFC, can u smell any burnt items? open up the case and look for burnt tracks/components

put the PFC back in and turn car to ON but dont start - see if the hand controller works normal

That was the first thing i checked. There is no smell, i opened it up just to make sure - no burnt tracks. I can use the hand controller but i have only gone to try and disable the boost cont setup as advised in your FAQ, i get to 'function', go into that and thats where the screen goes blank but still with the backlight on.

on the back of the unit - seriel num ecr33 010-2486

hand cont - fcc3 020 - 26527

i rem on the screen it comes up with version 5 . xx

i have my stock ecu in now, i can hook it back up to get the version if it helps

ive only tried going to the setting screen, i didnt want to goto somthing else n bugger something up as it doesnt seem to be working properly

i can get my hands on another one soon(1or2days) so ill hook that up to see if its the unit or if its the car. Ive givin up 2nite, to cold outside. Ill wait till i get the other one and see what happens with that and keep you posted. Thanx for your help

Have you tried the below section of the FAQ? I had a similar problem which was driving me nuts as everything appeared to have the correct voltages etc. When I first looked over the fuses they all seemed fine. What I didn't realise is that I was missing a fuse in the required slot. I put the correct sized fuse in a no more clicking.. I'd be double checking this as it takes little effort.

Good Luck.

My car won't start when I plug in the PowerFC, but the stock ecu works fine

First when dealing with a new PowerFC install and the car does not start there are a few basics to check;

Check the PowerFC to car loom connector

Check the warning lights on the dash, do they come up?

On the hand controller, goto ETC, SENSOR SW CHECK, are any sensors highlighted in black? (Shouldn't be)

Make sure you disable the Boost Control Kit if you aren't using it

Make sure you have the right airflow meter selected (if you have a non standard one)

Make sure you have correct injector settings (if you have non standard ones)

Check all fuses

Listen for clicking relays

Check for burning smells near the ECU and or inside the ECU

Inspect the ECU itself for physical damage or burn marks (open it up)

Finally we have seen on a few skylines that the car works fine with the stock ecu but not the with PowerFC. It has been traced back to a missing fuse. The missing fuse is on the left side in the R33 GTST and its at position #7. According to the diagram it is Engine Control. Somehow the stock ecu works if this fuse is missing but the PowerFC doesn't

See the diagram here for "Engine Control" which is a 10AMP fuse.

Edited by Fry_33

So when i first had this problem i checked for the fuse in the position stated (7), it was there, but there was a missing fuse beside that. I put a 10 amp fuse in that spot (on the fuse cover it says its for the batterty) and guess what.......the ticking stoped and now im up and running. I finally have it working :) . Thanks people for the help.

Im 1 happy chappy!!!