SAU Community

What Are Some Signs Of A Worn Clutch?

AlexR34

Hey Guys,

A little about me, as you can see on the left ive been a member for a while now, but ive sold my skyline about 6 months ago :sick::rant::):( :( :(, but i always feel like i will be back in a skyline i dont know why lol. I still stick around and read the qld section and help people out or comment on stupid crap ahahahha.

Anyways i bought and alfa romeo and im not sure how the car is spose to feel but the first gear seems a bit week lol. Anyways, what are the things to look for in a worn clutch like what are the obvious signs.

Thanks All.

there are two obvious signs I have come accross on various cars over my years:

one would be shudder, i.e. if you are taking off from a standing start, with a small amount of revs (1-2K) the car gives a shuddering feeling

another other would be when the clutch disengages when you are giving the car a kick in the guts, and the revs climb quickly like you are burning out but no power gets put to the ground.

Hope that helps

one would be shudder, i.e. if you are taking off from a standing start, with a small amount of revs (1-2K) the car gives a shuddering feeling

another other would be when the clutch disengages when you are giving the car a kick in the guts, and the revs climb quickly like you are burning out but no power gets put to the ground.

Hope that helps

Ok im pretty sure the clutch is gone then lol. One that car shudders when i slow down to about 10 km's per hour and when i touch the gas instead of accelerating slowly it sort cuts in and out lol. But the worst part is when im slowing down and say i put it in second gear and am at about 20 k's per hour and take my foot of the clutch the car shudders. The second one is the car is spose to be pretty quickish, like a golf gti but first geer keeps letting me down.

SO will inquire for a new clutch.

Anyone have any recommendations for places that do half decent clutches for Alfas ahahhahaha.

Its not too bad currently my main annoyence is when i slow down to about 10 or so k's it starts shuddering and needs a bit of revs to get going.

Edited by AlexR34

Yep Ya Right Blitza. Put in fourth & chomp on it if it starts to rev without going anywhere gooooooooooooooone.

Ahh thats a good test. I have put it in forth before and slammed it no problems, I guess its just a gay car and has a crappy first gear. I was just use to my auto na 34. say watever you want but that thing was a rocket in first gear in tiptronic.

Hope that helps

The shuddering can be two things, one what you said and two hotspots on the flywheel cause by bad clutch use..

another sign if your clutch is gone or going is pedal may feel soft and spongy on pressing to the floor and as what another member said revs go up but go know where.Best to get a mechanic or a member to have a look for you if unsure.

The shuddering can be two things, one what you said and two hotspots on the flywheel cause by bad clutch use..

another sign if your clutch is gone or going is pedal may feel soft and spongy on pressing to the floor and as what another member said revs go up but go know where.Best to get a mechanic or a member to have a look for you if unsure.

Im pretty sure its fine and its just me. I had the car serviced recently and alfa romeo service center checks absolutely everything and said nothing about the clutch.

The only thing that craps me is that it shutters when the car gets under 20km in second gear and 5km in first gear. Its not a bad shutter but in traffic its annoying lol

Im pretty sure its fine and its just me. I had the car serviced recently and alfa romeo service center checks absolutely everything and said nothing about the clutch.

The only thing that craps me is that it shutters when the car gets under 20km in second gear and 5km in first gear. Its not a bad shutter but in traffic its annoying lol

Is this with the clutch out, ie you're still in gear and doing 20 in second gear? It could just be that the engine is a little bit rough at very low rpm, it might not actually be anything to do with your clutch

Is this with the clutch out, ie you're still in gear and doing 20 in second gear? It could just be that the engine is a little bit rough at very low rpm, it might not actually be anything to do with your clutch

Yeah it is, with the clutch out, and engine is a bit rough, i tried yelling at it yesterday but didnt fix the problem ahhahaha. Its fine its just the engine i just press the cluch a bit earlier before i usually do to stop and problem is fixed :D

Thanks everyone for contributing.

yeah i agree with Revhead, you sure your not just in to higher gear and just boarding on stalling it?

and Col, thats sounds like a scary story mate.

yeah i agree with Revhead, you sure your not just in to higher gear and just boarding on stalling it?

and Col, thats sounds like a scary story mate.

See im not a 100%, it probably is bordering to stall, for some reason i just expect it to be able to go super slow without shuddering. I had a new car ages ago and that thing could litrelly go at like 2km's an hour without shuddering this isnt so new, so its probably just about to stall lol, but i always catch it ahahahha

Gday mate,

A quick test you can try to see if the clutch is goneski is by starting her up, putting it in 3rd and pull on the handbrake. Lift the revs up a bit and try to ride the clutch out a little. It should stall pretty much straight away. If it doesnt then your clutch is slipping its head off.... just like my corolla's is! lol

Hope that helps