SAU Community

Need Some Help

Slowpoke

Hey all,

My car's engine light is on and off occasionally and i have been wondering if i should bring it for a diagnostics checkup.. Would anyone recommend any places for a checkup or just head to toyota :P

Cheers

Bernard

Take it to any decent mechanic mate, they should have the diagnostic tool. I'd get it checked out ASAP, engine lights are important!!

Alrighty will do.. The price of sending the car to a toyota dealer is only $20 more compared to a private so i think ill send it to toyota :thumbsup:

LOL, mate thats what they say just to attract you to get you in, once your in be prepared to send big!!

Hmm.. hopefully they won't.. its just a diagnostics check.. not for repairs.. they can't do any repairs without my approval.. so yeah.. *fingers crossed*

The check engine light comes up when the knock sensors sense detonatation, so could be related to your knock sensors.

Hmm.. i thought it can be loads of reason.. like the sensors and all.. if anything is not functioning properly, the ecu receives the codes and up comes the engine light.. then the mechanic will use a laptop to retrieve the codes to find out whats wrong? Cause there's like hundreds of codes.. lol

Its not always a laptop, we have a hand held diagnostic, but yes it could be many things that would make your engine light come on including knock sensors, map sensors etc...

We charge $90 an hour, takes about 30mins max to get the codes, MTA approved workshop. Why spend more going to Toyota? Going from what my mates at dealerships go by, I'd rather take my car to a private place! Nothing wrong with them, but nothing worth the extra money.

And yeah, we have one of the hand held ones. Plug it into the ECU, it gives you the code, and then you can go from there. Easy as!