SAU Community

Just Got My Twin Plate Installed

Got an Excedy Twin Plate installed today:

Bad Points:

-rattles at low rpm's & on idle.(only slight)

-very on/off

Good Points:

-since its a lightend flywheel too it improves acceleration ALOT

-It Grabs bloody hard

i stalled it 5 times when i picked it up from the mechanic :) not a good look. but after 10 minutes i started to get used to it! ;)

Its pretty undrivable at the start, but i was really surprised how much it just wants to shoot off the line now, its amazing really!

Just wanted to share this new found feeling, seriously if you want heaps more acceleration i would recommend one any day.

my 2 cents.

yea.. had a single plate brass button when I bought my 180 as my 1st car and it was real bitey as well. I had to learn how to drive manual in it. :-p But once I get the hang of it, the instant engagement is defitnitly worth it. Still a bit scary when you are on a steep hill thou.

Yeah nice.

I had a HKS twin plate before, 4000+ RPM launches Woo Hoo. Obliterates anything off the starting line.

Oh yeah the twin plates are either In or Out not much play, you get use to it.

Do you get a 'Rattling' / 'tearing' noise when you have push the clutch pedal down (disengaging the cltuch)?

lol. They take some gettin used to. The rattle tells the world..." I spend too much money on my car" Dont worry about stalling it mate, my tuner stalled it twice taking it out of the shop when it was first installed. I've had the HKS sprung and unsprung centres and HKS seem to be the most aggressive with the Coppermix Nismo the easiest

Yeah nice.

I had a HKS twin plate before, 4000+ RPM launches Woo Hoo. Obliterates anything off the starting line.

Oh yeah the twin plates are either In or Out not much play, you get use to it.

Do you get a 'Rattling' / 'tearing' noise when you have push the clutch pedal down (disengaging the cltuch)?

Yeah im hoping it will handle some 6 - 7K launches, but i cant do any of that until 500km ;)

Yeah when you push to clutch down it rattles quite alot, i have noticed that it only happens on low RPMS and sometimes between gear changes for some reason?

I know that its normal, and im starting to figure out how to minize it slightly already.

Tell you what makes you a much better manual driver thats for sure!!

Edited by GTR-PWR

lol. They take some gettin used to. The rattle tells the world..." I spend too much money on my car" Dont worry about stalling it mate, my tuner stalled it twice taking it out of the shop when it was first installed. I've had the HKS sprung and unsprung centres and HKS seem to be the most aggressive with the Coppermix Nismo the easiest

haha yeah true, although its annoying when you got the missus in ur car going "whats that sound?, is there something wrong with your car.." Then you have to explain that no there is nothing wrong is makes that sounds becuase its better honey. "Well its sounds like a bomb is about to explode". seriously wtf? women...

Edited by GTR-PWR

Got an Excedy Twin Plate installed today:

Bad Points:

-rattles at low rpm's & on idle.(only slight)

-very on/off

Good Points:

-since its a lightend flywheel too it improves acceleration ALOT

-It Grabs bloody hard

i stalled it 5 times when i picked it up from the mechanic :laugh: not a good look. but after 10 minutes i started to get used to it! :wub:

Its pretty undrivable at the start, but i was really surprised how much it just wants to shoot off the line now, its amazing really!

Just wanted to share this new found feeling, seriously if you want heaps more acceleration i would recommend one any day.

my 2 cents.

Can I ask exactly which model you bought? And how much hp/torque it is rated at?

The reason why I ask is because I was just saying in another thread the Exedy's are very easy to drive! The one I drove was apparently rated for 500hp (that's all I know), was definitely a twin-plate with lightened flywheel, and was installed on an R33 GTS-T. When I drove it, I had about 10 minute's manual experience (on other 4 cylinder, stock cars)... and I had no trouble with it at all. Seemed just like a stock clutch to me! Your mechanic didn't happen to mention the model no. of the one I'm describing did he? :D

Can I ask exactly which model you bought? And how much hp/torque it is rated at?

The reason why I ask is because I was just saying in another thread the Exedy's are very easy to drive! The one I drove was apparently rated for 500hp (that's all I know), was definitely a twin-plate with lightened flywheel, and was installed on an R33 GTS-T. When I drove it, I had about 10 minute's manual experience (on other 4 cylinder, stock cars)... and I had no trouble with it at all. Seemed just like a stock clutch to me! Your mechanic didn't happen to mention the model no. of the one I'm describing did he? :laugh:

Yeah, it might be a different model mate becuase mine is totally different to the stock clutch let me assure you!

But its an Exedy Twin Plate for an R33 GTR, with a lightened flywheel - couldnt tell you a model number though mate sorry.

Yeah, it might be a different model mate becuase mine is totally different to the stock clutch let me assure you!

But its an Exedy Twin Plate for an R33 GTR, with a lightened flywheel - couldnt tell you a model number though mate sorry.

Thanks for that.

Ahh, GTR, wonder if that's what the difference is?

Hehe I know all about twin-plates... mine is REALLY hard to use, but that just makes it all the more fun to drive! Love the lightened flywheel and rev matching on downchanges :laugh: Don't like the noise though...

no worries.

Yeah, in all honesty it makes it into a totally different car to drive IMO.. for the better. Improved acceleration, you can feel the clutch heaps better and gear changes are heaps faster now.

I know what you mean about the noise, but recently i figured out a way to control it on mine. (If you dont fully depress the clutch then just as the clutch grabs it wont rattle.) It takes a bit of skill though and its way harder if your on a steep hill to control the plate chatter.

Yeah, I can do lightning fast gearchanges pretty easily with my clutch. But I think that's because it has an unsprung centre, etc. It's more a racing oriented clutch than a street twin-plate.

I can actually control the rattle if I push the pedal about halfway down. The problem with this is that I'd have to sit at the lights with my foot on the pedal the whole time! My engagement point is probably about 1/3 of the way down, so I only need to push just past that to change gears. I never have to push the pedal all the way down - if I do, I get another type of rattly sound :wub:

So the clutch rattle with the pedal out is quite loud, especially with the A/C on - much louder than I've heard on other cars (no anti-rattle clips apparently), but under load, under 2000 rpm... DAMN it's loud! You can hear it echoing off walls and things, probably at least twice as loud as the car itself!

The Exedy I drove was at most half as loud as mine :laugh: So now you know why I don't like the noise!! :D