SAU Community

Mike's New Ride/semi Introduction (long Time Lurker)

M I K E

I've owned a few cars over my years of driving; a couple of 180's, a silvia (which ended out as a onevia), a cefiro and the sil80 that still sits at home. I've been on the lookout for my new ride for quite some time now (as a number of you would be aware)...

I was semi undecided on what i wanted to do, i had urges to build up the sil80 and bought quite a few upgrades for it however i didn't want to build another street car that couldn't be driven due to it's impracticality - which i knew would happen. I don't quite remember how, but as i was in the midst of indecision about turning away from 2 door coupes to something more family oriented (although no family yet or too soon i hope :/) and after looking at a number of different options from holden and ford (i know, i know) i found a few prime examples of stageas on japanese blogs and discovered i had a soft spot for cleanly modified wagons - how can anyone say no to a pimp 2.5L turbo wagon?!?

Anywho, this was probably 6 or more months ago and i've been looking for the right car ever since. There were a few nice examples that popped up on auctions in japan but nothing that really took my breath away and, generally speaking, the level of local modified stageas isn't too flash either (no offense guys :D). These were my thoughts, anyway, until i found Ian and Jodie's stag for sale on here and i HAD to have it. After talking to Ian for a couple of weeks (incredibly helpful and all round top bloke) the missus and i flew up to coolangatta on friday to check the car out, i couldn't fault it - it was immaculate, so i handed over the cheque and we began the drive back to adelaide. We arrived back home yesterday after a weekend of driving (~26 hours give or take) which i'd quite happily say is some of the best i have experienced yet :)

Enough dribble for now though, specs as it sits are as follows:

1998 s2 RS-V (factory rear wheel drive)

Switchable traction control

R33 GTR Brembo Brakes all 'round

R33 GTR Intercooler

CUSCO 1.5 or 2 way LSD (unsure what it is as i've not had a chance to look yet but it's tight :P)

Tein HR/HA Coilovers - dampener adj't/height adj't (car is pictured at max height adjustment)

18" Stich Dish Rims (will be for sale soon)

Genuine Garage Impul Front Recaros (full tiltable to suit 2 doors too!)

Genuine Dolphin Full Bodykit

Dolphin Bar Grille (Chrome)

Dolphin Roof Panels (to delete ugly black rails on stock Stageas)

Aftermarket tail light covers

Full Respray (GTR colour)

Nismo Exhaust

Strut Tower Brace

K&N panel filter

Mongoose alarm/immobiliser

High End Sony CD/MD Player and Speakers

Apexi Rev Speed Meter

HKS EVC4 Electronic Boost Controller

Blitz Turbo Timer

Apexi SAFC2

Before the SAFC2 was installed it was made 297HP on .09 bar which is ~220rwkw according to last owner (dyno sheet provided) however i'll get a tune eventually and see how i go :)

I've already purchased new wheels for her, work VS-KF in shaddow chrome finish 18x9.5+15 all 'round, just need to get some rubber put on and i'll fit them up, along with a Dolphin roof spoiler (rather large :D) to replace the current small one. I've purchased a rear strut brace and an exhaust too however i'll see how much the brace impacts my boot space and the exhaust will deff be different for a stag so undecided if i'll run that also.

My initial plans were to change the transmission to manual eventually however i'm rather surprised how much i like the auto in it - it certainly made the drive back easier and the tiptronic with steering wheel shift is good if you want a more controlled/spirited drive :)

Here's a few pics, i'll update with some current ones when i get around to washing the layer of bugs that she's covered in off :lol:

003.jpg

DSC02071.jpg

Enjoy, i know i will :D

welcom to the sa stag crew! haha what end of adelaide u live in? pretty keen to c this beast in flesh! pitty u didnt come out yesterday :)

nearish the kmart on anzacs as a rough locator. i would have loved to come out yesterday, however dependant on time we would have been somewhere between griffith and adelaide :D

cheers for the comments guys, by far the nicest car i have ever driven

We'll miss this machine... When Mike gets to take it thru the 'hills down there when nobody's around, and he finds close the limits of those brakes and coils, he's gonna shake all over....! But don't push it too far mate!

With same weight and not much less poke than the GTR33 I've driven, it's an exhilirating car, and a better handler all round. Those who think the rwd makes Stags unstable haven't driven a well sprung one like this car!

I'll stick to the 13.7 sec NA Honda for a while... but I'm sure to be back behind an RB one of these days! Country comfort calls! Should pick up our XT this week! Euro just not quite practical enough for the kids and the mutt!

• 4 weeks later...

well a bit of a quick update, got my new wheels on now so old wheels are also for sale (make an offer!)

need to play with ride height (want to bring front down 10mm and raise rear maybe 15) and have a few more goodies on the way for it but this is as it sits now.. trying to keep it as jap styled as possible! :)

100_0588.jpg

Edited by M I K E

Awesome looking stagea... I remember seeing this one advertised on J-Spec. Only thing that put me off was the 2WD... but it sure had the mods.

edit: done any cruising? is the nismo exhaust 'droney' around 2,500 revs? I think it has a cannon at the back so I guess it is...

Edited by DaveB

2wd is part of the reason i got it :(

the exhaust isn't overly droney, it's actually pretty quiet ;) not that it matters though - new and somewhat 'left field' exhaust will be being made soonish... when i get the time!