SAU Community

Carbon Overlying

GT-5732

• 2 months later...
very nice, just a question do u use just the one layer of carbon cloth? im intending to make a front lip from a mould.

unless you can get a black fibreglass matt, i would do 2 layers of carbon with some fibreglass backing.

I know its abit strange but Im interested in doing this for door trims. If anyone has some R34 door trims they dont use (unlikely) id like to buy/borrow them. If all goes well I figure I can make a stick on door trim like the stocker material

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
unless you can get a black fibreglass matt, i would do 2 layers of carbon with some fibreglass backing.

so the process would be resin+ 1 layer, let it dry, apply more resin + 2nd layer, let it dry (then coats as normal after)?

so the process would be resin+ 1 layer, let it dry, apply more resin + 2nd layer, let it dry (then coats as normal after)?

you dont need to allow it to dry between layers

bunnings has resin and hardener

so do most hardware stores - they also sell those fibreglass kits.

The ones that bunnings sell usually are just polyester resin which dries to an ugly yellow tinge. If you are gonna do carbon go to a fibreglass supplier in your area and get proper epoxy resin that dries clear otherwise the effect it will prob end up looking sh1t. Theres a guy on ebay that sells it as well. He is based on the north coast of NSW, pretty well priced too. Just search ebay. If you are in sydney, theres a place at Seven Hills called FMS (Fibreglass material services) they sell everything including carbon weave off the roll.

• 2 weeks later...