SAU Community

M3 Vs R34gtr

seank

for so long I've been waiting to upgrade my 33 to a 34GTR, however today i got a ride in a 04 M3, and I gotta say you could not wipe the smile off my face.Eveything about the m3 is sweeet, very much a drivers car, and mate you could mistake a turbo underneath the bonnet, although I dare say a mildly modded 34 will still flog it?Prices are now coming down and you can pick them up for 50-60k which is close to R34 GTR money. Has anyone any thoughts on the pros and cons or driven both?, here is some I thought of

M3 pros -

1. abosulte sex on wheels in stock trim

2. sweet as handling,

3. sweet as leather bucket seats and lush interior

4. best NA ride I've ever driven, smacks any v8 out there

5. getting cheaper

6. gets the looks

M3 cons,

1. service costs

2. how much more power can you extract?

3. gets the looks

anyone else contribute pros and cons please

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

M3 Pros:

7. Will not become as much of a money pit as the GTR (in terms of 'just one more mod....')

8. Is more uncommon on the streets, and unlike the GTR will stay uncommon. Where more and more GTRs will flood the streets as they get cheaper.

Still rather the R34 GTR

Went to the world-wide launch last summer of the new M3.

Superb motor car - yes it is. Used to enjoy my E46 328Ci to quite an extent.

Pro = Great engine & controlled power delivery

Con = steering feel and communication thru the wheel

Wonder if the Audi R8 is better (than the M3) even if it's the same 4.2l V8 as in the B7 RS4?

Tez

PS One thing that BMs including the M3 are highly underrated for, is their fuel consumption. If you drive mildly, they are so frugal compared to GTRs or Mercs.

PPS If you live in Sydney, Massimo at Bavarian Engineering will charge you a whole lot less for service than BMW.

Still rather the R34 GTR... Oh yes, didn't I say that before? lol

i've had both (at the same time) not to be a prick. M3 is good for daily duties with a little fun. You have no idea what you will be looking at for service and repairs! Tyres are expensive as the size is rare in the 19's. $2k+ for major service. Cost me $4k for cat back ti gruppe m exhaust and did f#$k all. Coilovers to lower cost you around $4k. You WILL NOT gain any power from mods unless you supercharge it which is basically not done in Aus. Turbo charging is a problem due to the steering column in USA is piece of piss. no one has the correct technology for them here to properly do performance mods.

Trust me get a 34 GTR you will enjoy it. easy to modify and change your style whenever you wish, parts available and something that doesnt have issues with major expenses if you go to a reputable workshop. GTR will hose the M3 everyday of the week and out corner.

When i wanted to buy a new car i went to the bmw dealership and test drove the m3 and loved everything about it, having owned the same model bmw but a 325i i was excited about the upgrade but then i ended up buying the r34 gtr.

m3

-high quality of build, heavy doors and nothing rattles

-settles down to a cruise on the freeways

-better fuel consumption

-looks are great but then again so is the gtr

-not too bad service costs, you dont need to go to bmw for everything. Oil changes are basically 22bux for a filter and they use castrol edge 0w40, pollen filters and all other basic service parts can be ordered from america for a fraction of cost in dealership.

-Engine is expensive to rebuild if you blow it

-1000hp turbo kit avaliable from the US via horsepower freaks for 30k aus

GTR

-More head turning looks then the m3

-Terrible ride quality and too low so the nose scrapes everywhere

-engine is always humping your leg like a jack russel with its pink thing hanging out

-Dosent settle down when u just want to cruise

-Lots of creaks and noises from suspension, interior components etc

-Heavy clutch (depends on hd clutch installed or not)

-More engine mods avaliable and extracting power is easy

-Engine is easy to rebuild if it goes

Anyways i probably have forgotten some things but I wish i bought the M3.

Overheard the R34 GT-R saying...

She loves me.

She loves me not.

She loves me

She loves me not

She loves me

She loves me not

She loves me

She loves me not

She loves me

She loves me not

She loves me

She loves me not

She loves me

Sorry M3, you'll have to wait for someone else! :(

bit of food for thought

last track day i went to had the usual awesome R34 GT-Rs, (they usually flog everything, about on par with steve coad and his 800hp monaro)

last one i went to had an E36 M3, and had a bit of enginework, absolutely flogged everything...

winton: GTRs were doing 1:31s (superleggara does a 1:36)... this m3 did a 1:29

as much as i do love my japanese stuff, including the GTRs, BMW quality and precision is so much better.

the 3.2 six in the m3 is absolutely off it's head, the handling is insane... take one for a good drive and see how you go.

i know how good the gtr handles, especially after modifications, but the m3 will be able to kick it with it through the corners all the way :D you won't get the m3 going as hard in a straight line without serious modifications, but the cornering of the m3 is out of this world

If its a daily get the M3. Better looking, easy to run, reliable, goes okay for a stock car (not earth shattering however), great package out of the box, best 6 cylinder engine made, the engine won't ever pop if you maintain it and you can drive it and park it anywhere and not worry that A) someone will f**k with it or B) It won't be there when you get back. Has all the other stuff like TV, Sat Nav, Bluetooth etc which is key in a daily IMO.

honestly dude not sure if you can get em in oz - but if you can have a drive of a Corvette Z06 i promise you it will smack an M3 in every possible way - looks, handling, sound, performance erverything.

the yanks have got the modern non-tech sports car down pat now with the Z06 and Zr1

6sp manual 7L V8 - man its a thing of beauty i tell ya...just so fast.

honestly dude not sure if you can get em in oz - but if you can have a drive of a Corvette Z06 i promise you it will smack an M3 in every possible way - looks, handling, sound, performance erverything.

the yanks have got the modern non-tech sports car down pat now with the Z06 and Zr1

6sp manual 7L V8 - man its a thing of beauty i tell ya...just so fast.

Its also $200k+...

When i wanted to buy a new car i went to the bmw dealership and test drove the m3 and loved everything about it, having owned the same model bmw but a 325i i was excited about the upgrade but then i ended up buying the r34 gtr.

m3

-high quality of build, heavy doors and nothing rattles

-settles down to a cruise on the freeways

-better fuel consumption

-looks are great but then again so is the gtr

-not too bad service costs, you dont need to go to bmw for everything. Oil changes are basically 22bux for a filter and they use castrol edge 0w40, pollen filters and all other basic service parts can be ordered from america for a fraction of cost in dealership.

-Engine is expensive to rebuild if you blow it

-1000hp turbo kit avaliable from the US via horsepower freaks for 30k aus

GTR

-More head turning looks then the m3

-Terrible ride quality and too low so the nose scrapes everywhere

-engine is always humping your leg like a jack russel with its pink thing hanging out

-Dosent settle down when u just want to cruise

-Lots of creaks and noises from suspension, interior components etc

-Heavy clutch (depends on hd clutch installed or not)

-More engine mods avaliable and extracting power is easy

-Engine is easy to rebuild if it goes

Anyways i probably have forgotten some things but I wish i bought the M3.

all pros point to BMW, and despite all the cons you just have to own a GTR to really appreciate em. Deep down I'm telling myself the M3 is a better car, but I just want a f**ing R34!!!!!I diasgree that r34 gtrs are common , I see hardly any around brisbane? There is really nothing else comparable in 50-80k price range?

for so long I've been waiting to upgrade my 33 to a 34GTR, however today i got a ride in a 04 M3, and I gotta say you could not wipe the smile off my face.Eveything about the m3 is sweeet, very much a drivers car, and mate you could mistake a turbo underneath the bonnet, although I dare say a mildly modded 34 will still flog it?Prices are now coming down and you can pick them up for 50-60k which is close to R34 GTR money. Has anyone any thoughts on the pros and cons or driven both?, here is some I thought of

M3 pros -

1. abosulte sex on wheels in stock trim

2. sweet as handling,

3. sweet as leather bucket seats and lush interior

5. getting cheaper

6. gets the looks

M3 cons,

1. service costs

2. how much more power can you extract?

3. gets the looks

anyone else contribute pros and cons please

I dont get it.

Youre first impression should count the most.

Thats it.

Its the first impression thats most important.

The BMW will cost more to maintain, to upgrade and to fix but it will keep its resale way more than the Nissan, it will reward you as a driver more than the Nissan, is built better, uses higher quality materials, is engineered to a different grade and it will attract a different kind of attention.

The Nissan on the other hand will have more power, will be more easily tunable, more able to benefit from upgrades, cheaper to purchase ( that depending on condition ), with hardcore street cred, but will be built to slightly lower standards, wont offer the feedback the BMW will, is showing its age and will show you that its not as solid all round as a BMW build wise.

Trust me on one point.

I have a Forester Sti, have driven and been in a large number of hypo Japanese cars and compared to the many and varied Euros ive driven that include Ferraris, Porsches, Maseratis, Audis, Mercedes and BMW's, i would have to say its lacking in a certain substance.

You can actually feel the solidness of the engineering in a Euro as opposed to a Japanese car. It feels better built, more reliable, offers you a different level of comofort but wont offer the hard core tuning edge and tuning flexibility that the Japanese car will have.

Tough choice but its safe to go with your first impression as long as you have a good go at it when you do drive it for the first time.

Go back for a second bite if youre not sure.

R34 GTR anytime..............you don't want to be just a BMW driver...............they are everywhere. Be a R34 GTR driver and you will stand out. And i agree, at least here in QLD, 34 gtrs are still rare sights.

We are not talking about any old BMW.

This is an M3. Not some crappy, wheezy 316 or 318. BMW have made a car that is the perfect combination of balance, power and performance.

The Nissan is a brute like monster with power in spades and tech wizardry under the chassis but attracts the wrong type of attention...coppers, spectators and road racers alike, for one.

BMW - Winner of countless engine and chassis awards in almost any year you can bring up.

World renowned automotive engineering with the accolades to prove it.

That counts.