SAU Community

Suspension Check Up?

kidafa

Hi All,

Just got a bit of a query in regards to the suspension on our wagons. As like many of us here I do my own servicing (oil, filters, fluids, pads ect ect...).

As for suspension does it need checking every so often? Should i take it to a suspension specalist and get them to give the suspenions a once over? Their is nothing wrong with it that I can tell just want to keep it that way :).

PS its all stock '97 rsfour suspension.

Ta.

Hi All,

Just got a bit of a query in regards to the suspension on our wagons. As like many of us here I do my own servicing (oil, filters, fluids, pads ect ect...).

As for suspension does it need checking every so often? Should i take it to a suspension specalist and get them to give the suspenions a once over? Their is nothing wrong with it that I can tell just want to keep it that way :) .

PS its all stock '97 rsfour suspension.

Ta.

In NZ there is a warrant of fitness check every six months which will pick up any worn ball joints etc. I understand that this varies from State to State in Aus so if your car is not subject to a WOF check then you should jack it up to take the weight off the suspension and use a bar or something to test for excessive play, have a look for any bent arms and any bolts for security. If your tyres are wearing evenly (not feathering on the inside or outside) and the car steers and pulls up straight then there is no reason to spend on a professional check (unless you have whacked a kerb or a traffic island at speed). You can wait until you start modifying your suspension to get a wheel alignment.