Illegal Drags

Stock

Originally posted by Zdenko

Go **** ur self

you know how much **** heads in japs cars i see playing up on the street

its not just VL owners

just because your buying a VL ya bloody traitor.. :shake:

j/k

Nah, wardest... you have a point, but so does pred.

The 'legal' places to have a bit of fun in your car are either

A) too expensive

B) Quite a fair way to travel (sometimes 45-1hour just to rip a burnout and go home isn't worth it)

c) The sheer timing. Once a week for a strip to be open?

really... tehre needs to be more venues more often.

But at the same time... coming back to wardest... if people wanna mod cars then they do have to play by the rules. However much they suck at the moment (and probably forever)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by predator666

If you look at the source of the problem, it is really the fact that there is nowhere to "muck around" in any fashion and release all that sillyness or in fact more accessible drag venues. There is Calder Park, and that is about it around Melbourne.. on every Friday "if you're lucky" for $55.  

Don't forget Calder Friday meets have also been cancelled for the last couple weeks due to water seaping onto the track from underneath due to cracks in the track.

This now only leaves Heathcote on Sundays which is a 140km drive from Melbourne.

I think we need a new drag strip built closer to Melbourne unless Calder Park can get their things organsied and fix the track for the public to use otherwise this problem of street racing will simply get worse.

I've been to illegal street drags and back in the day even participated but I came to the realisation that the risk was too high to lose my licence, my car and more importantly the lives of myself and those specatating the event. At the drag strip, there are concrete walls to reduce the risk to people who are around, but these walls don't exist on public roads!! Considering the power my car has, if my car decided to go sideways on a launch or when boost came on, there would be nothing to stop me from hitting anything on the side of the road which is usually other cars or people which could end up in a very bad situation.

thats true

lol @ trader

i agree with the above...

everywhere you go these days you get harrased by the police

i remember last summer

i was parked at williamstown beach and was actually told to move because they would start giving out canry's

ummm ok.. so im not alloud to be at da beach with my stock skyline.. fair enough......

Hey Gordo, I agree with everything you've said mate. I really do but I think being picked on by the cops for various things goes with the territory of owning an import and there's little we can do about it.

If ppl wanna race their cars in one way or another there are legal avenues for them to take. Sure there are precious few but that is a reality we have to put up with. Personnaly i'm not fussed because i'll never race my car at all. For those who do wanna race tho, go to the legal events at Calder, Heathcote etc. If its not viable or affordable to do so then I gotta say that's a hard luck case. I like firing guns and there are only a handful of places I can do it legally. If I chose to fire my gun in the street with other like minded criminals ( that'd be what I'd be just like the illegal races) I would expect the police to cotton on. Just like the racers, I have two choices, legal or illegal.

I think the impact of illegal cars and events is being reduced for others. No one has said we can't drive imports, just that we can only drive lightly modded ones. If we were free to mod our cars how we wished and race our cars anywhere more ppl would wind up on slabs in the morgue. ( or being hosed off the road )

Sure some ppl are gonna do it anyway but the only way to catch those few is to cast a wide net. Those of us who've obeyed the law will be thrown back.

honestly leewah.. how many VL turbos did u see there

or did u see more VQ statsmens and preludes and crx's wrx etc..

.i knwo da ones in da west

'ive been to watch 2 times.. and only saw a few VL turbos more wrxs and vq's and xr8s lancers and shit like that

Zdenko, I guess you are referring to number of VLs at the illegal meets when I used to go? The honest answer is there were more Jap imports there than anything else. When people did race though, I'd say that no more than 20% of the cars actually participated in the racing.

One point to make though was 80% of the people there had no interest in racing their cars and the ones who did were immature kids who have probably never been to Calder or Heathcote meet in their lives.

A lot of the people there talked a lot of crap. "Hey man, I hope you warm your tyres up before dragging. You'll get better traction man!!" This is true if your running slicks or Nittos or something similar but the fact is that everyday street tyres actually deteriorate after passing a certain temperature and become less tractive than if they were cold. It's this kind of mentality of people who give the rest of us a bad name by attracting uncessary attention and bringing the heat towards us.

It's simply the mentality of the people who participate in this kind of behaviour. I used to do it and I no longer do. Maybe coz I've smartened up or maybe I figure my car is too expensive to have confiscated, damaged for no reason or simply it was something I got bored of.

I won't take these risks anymore simply for the fact that it's not worth it and when these morons out there figure it out, they too will smarten up and give it up.

mmm Zdenko.

i totally agree... with the west that is.

you get a LOT of VQ %lt... vp/vr 5ltr.

Only cause they are dirt cheap these days. Cheaper than a 32 actaully... and 5lt can go well with a few good mods and a lot can be done by your next door neighbour as 8's have been around in Oz since the dawn of time these days.

The Govn't wanna stop the volume of cheap imports and stuff as it'll stuff up the manufactuers and what not, but some of their best models... 10-12 years down the track cost under 10G's it makes you wonder what the Local Manufactures have with the Gov't too.. like a secret deal.

But as for the east. Mate, there are more WRX's... Skylines/Supra's and the hondas than you can throw a stick at.

It's all about the area and the backgroud/race of people in that area. I wont go any further with that but people will get what i mean in a rough way.

yup :-)

dont under estimate a VL with  t66 my friend

what is leewahs best time??

I'd never underestimate anything with a T66 mate. (BTW: I wasn't actually having a dig there bro)

As for Leewah's best time I think he pulled an 11:6 once but then remarked he'd left the handbrake on and that his clutch slipped in each gear. I hear these problems have since been rectified. :bahaha:

My best time so far has been a 10.47@132 MPH with a full interior and Nittos at Heathcote in July. I did hit a max of 137MPH on a run but the 60' was bad.

The car is actually getting a couple more mods as we speak and hopefully we will get closer to the RH9 club.

I'm not arguing VLs are bad. It's just that they need to run slicks to get their best times whereas GTRs don't necessarily need slicks to run awesome times. On the street, I'd like to see a VL keep up, not that I condone this kind of behaviour, it would just be nice to see what the difference would be in two similar power leveled cars.

BTW, Wardest, love the signature mate!! Clashik maaate.

lol

take ur shovels else were

im almost done at work and no digging can affect me at all at this present time

11.6 quick time

would be interesting tho..

maybe we meet one day down at calder :-)

Please tell me you know I'm joking about most of this stuff and don't think I'm trying to reignite the tired old VL versus Skyline debate.

havent been to illegal drag, havent even been to a leagal drags.

i havent dragged anyone on the street since having my turbo car, and even when i had non turbo i still didnt, only took off but straight to limit, although still stupid.

but yeah im sick of street racing

"On the street, I'd like to see a VL keep up, not that I condone this kind of behaviour"

LOL

off course you dont......

hmmm

depends really

if its a nice dry day hotish road. could be fun..

but with da stockies i got at da moment

OMG i like to call it

DISNEYS .... VL IN ALTONA MEADOWS ON ICE starring 14psi and two stockies at the back...

also featuring a 3000 stall

anything above 14psi at the moment is just stupid... wouldnt mind seieng what she goes like on 20 + tho heheh one day.. oneee dayy