SAU Community

Greetings From China

CNBLOW

Hey Guys,

Thought i would just say hi , just been flown out to Shenzhen China for work. Been here for 3 days now and im bored and frustrated because i cant communicate with anyone here, its near immposible to find someone to speak English. I walk down the main road and everyone just looks at you like "What are Its you doing here"???

Its going to be a LONG 2 weeks.

Anyone else been stuck in another country where they had difficulty communicating and adapting to their life style??

And what makes it worse is that im not a big fan of Chinese food!!

Cya

PS If you can manage to drive a car successfully in China without having a accident or hitting a pedistrian I think you can drive anything and anywhere in the world. If anyone thinks the way we drive in Australia is bad, you gotta come here and experience a whole new world of road rules and road rage

Hahaha,

So what are you doing, for work, in China? Trying to find a cheaper supplier/manufacturer or checking up on your current one?

Makes it hard when you're by yourself in a foreign country and can't speak their language.

Just walk down the street and try their bugs and other "exotic" foods :(

Hahaha,

So what are you doing, for work, in China? Trying to find a cheaper supplier/manufacturer or checking up on your current one?

Makes it hard when you're by yourself in a foreign country and can't speak their language.

Just walk down the street and try their bugs and other "exotic" foods :(

Hey Al

Just checking up on an exsisting supplier up here, got a multi million dollar project nearing completion for work so im here to make sure everything is runnig smoothly and all dead lines will be meet

By the way, ill think ill pass on the bugs and exotic food, i had KFC here 2 nights ago and let me tell you it wasnt exactly what we have back home, tastes a little different....

Its very had when you on your own, if only i could find someone i can communicate with

yeah i found china abit difficult too. i remember looking out of the plane as it was landing and thought shesh must be raining, turned out to be smog..lol Caught two Taxi's from the airport and the drivers took us for a joy ride and stooged us, wasnt too bad cause of the currency. They'll predent they dont know where the place is and drop you off a street away from where it actually is to avoid the security at the appartment gates who know this trick. Ive been told the trick is to pretend to wride down their taxi ID or have a good look at it cause if you report them in they cop a big fine.

Your right about no one speaking a lick of english which i found really surprising especially in Shanghai. When we ordered food for the first time we had to walk to other tables and point out that we wanted what they were eating..ha I got the runs shortly after that..ha Had a hard time ordering drinks at clubs too. These were at local places so im sure it wouldnt be as hard at the more touristy ones.

No road rules at all hey. green light means go, red light means go too..lol. its just nuts. everyone should visit china just once in their life.

Thanks for the tip Allblitz but i wouldnt drink their milk anyway!!! and probably by the time the biscuits arrive someone else would have probably eaten them.

Thats what i suspected the taxi drivers would be like MR_fanny. Luckily i have my own driver that takes me where ever i want to go (ie work and back, out to eat etc), but he doesnt speak english anyway, so its still a stuggle to communicate with him!!

Luckily i landed in Hong Kong, (thats one nice airport) and then got taken into China, I know what u mean about the smog and the place has also gotten a certain smell about it that i have seemed to adapt to because the first night i was here i felt like throwing up.

It definently an experience i wont forget in a hurry but if i had company with me im sure it would have been a better time and a more joyable experience and to keep me sane....lol

Haha!

Its China not Australia. Road Rules..? What Rules..?

Which part of China are you in? If you are in the city it should be ok but country side, yes it might be abit difficult.

Yes they will look at you funny cuz there are not many Westeners there. I have been there cuz my parents are from there, well Hong Kong rather and we had our friends from Queensland come to China, there were pretty much a tourist attraction.

just enjoy it. you should go and and try something different every night. you could have some very interesting stories to tell. be a little daring...

Dont know whether thats a good idea, let alone i cant even speak one word in chinese i decided to take the offer of the hotel massage service which came to about AUD$15 for a 90 minute massage, let me tell you that it ended up in a very akward moment nearing the end??? ill let you work out what she wanted from me????

Im staying in Shenzhen which is a work work work city, lucky if there are an other westerns here. Its a very different culture to what im used to.!!

lol....my mate got followed by an old lady for about a good 4 blocks wanting him to go to her brothel. we had to do a quick runner to lose her. got it on vid too running away...ah memories.

convenience store workers look at you funny when you pull out like a 50 equivilant to pay. they check if its fake..lol.

ah yes the hotel massage service. Ive been in the same situation. hehaha its a little uncomfortable... especially if you did only want a massage.

but thats one good story you have to tell people about your trip. :spank:

Edited by akeenan

Ur right about the money, i only have 100 dollar notes of there money on me and everytime i buy something, they sit there for about a minute checking whether its fake.

Thankfully havent been followed by an old ladys yet but there is a "massage" girl in the lobby of the hotel that is keen to get the elevator for me every time!!

All i wanted was a massage...lol

PS.. Cant believe how nuts these people are about karaoke!. I went to a KTV place (Karaoke TV) and it was just room after room of people singing..lol quite ammusing to watch them sing in chinese

Yeah China is a bit hectic hey. I did beijing and shanghai and was ther for bout a month in total. Taxi drivers are crazy as there. We were in this one cab that got so pissed off with the traffic that he just pulled out onto the other side of the road. and started driving into on coming traffic. I must admit I was shitting my self.

Bored? in a foreign land?

Get drunk and introduce the locals to the ugly Australian within....everyone loves the ugly Australian.

Have some fun with the little fellas, i'm sure they'll have a great time :banana:

Firstly, traffic rules etc etc are for references only in China, u don't really have to stop at the red light, it is for u to know that u may need to stop when you absolutely needed to.

Second, I am sure u can find someone who can speak some English in the hotels.

Third, massage, cheap, effective and enjoyable, so have one every day at least, you can never find massage therapists like that in Australia with that price tag

Forth, please don't get offended when they check your money. There is a lot of counterfeiting in China. Newly printed money are subjected to checking, so relax.

Fifth, check out the auto stores in hong kong if you do go pass there. There are many auto stores in Monkok distict in Kowloon, cheap, beautiful but not necessarily long lasting.

Sixth, relax and enjoy your life, u will learn to love the place after you have been there for a while. By the way, they do have KFC, McDonalds, Pizza Huts and Spagatti Houses there, or you can order nice western meals in big hotels and comparatively cheap.

See u when you get back!!!