SAU Community

Removing Rear Alignment Bars From Wheel Hub Assembly

iz32

I cant get the rear wheel alignment bars off the hub assembly. the bars that connect to the hicas. i have removed the pin and nut and wound the rods in, bashed it with a hammer from all different angle including moving the hub assembly up n down with a jack, removed the rod totally from the hicas even and i still cant get it of. also tried soaking it in inox and then again all the above... both sides just wont budge off the shaft.

anyone got any tips?

Are you talking about removing the ball joints at the end of the alignment rods from the hub? If so you need a puller like this;

gallery_15274_2902_7906.png

Those ball joints are called tie rod ends. The alignment rods are tie rods.

you can also get the off using a "ball joint seperator" a big fork that you shove under the end of the arm and smash with a hammer until it pops off. It can take some real heavy hits to free it up.

if you have been whacking the threaded rod end to try and push it back through the arm you have probably stuffed the ball joint :( if you are going to fit the end of a threaded rod you should always put at least a nut on it to spread out the force