SAU Community

Where to go for a service?

sigsputnik

Definitely go to Gastune in Tuggeranong. Speak to Dave, he is the owner. I have been to most places in Canberra andx i am in the industry. i havent had anyone look after me better than dave. he looks after all my mates too.

Gastune, 209 Scollay Street, Tuggeranong. See Dave (Near Audiotech)

• 4 weeks later...

I think Jo at Skyline Performance Mitchell is good. He only does Skylines so he knows what he is talking about. He services a lot of the mad Skylines around Canberra.

Shut up John!

John (eliteR33) had a bad experience with Jo and a clutch (have you seen the was John drives? :lol: :D )

but everyone else I know has been very satisfied.

Stay clear of Evo they are heaps expensive and I have heard of a heap of unsatisfied customers.

Havent heard ANY bad stories about Trojan in Mitchell. The guys do all the work on my car and ive refered a number of people to them who have been extremely happy with their work! Do yourself a favour and give John a buzz...

I didnt realise half our club posted on the skyline forums. Get our forums up damn it!! Yes we know how John drives.. but a clutch is one night?? No one's that bad...

Timbar32,

Bad Stories heh , Everybody has one - Joe from Skyline perfomance built my 600HP engine.. I spent over $11,000 - a very "bad" bedtime story :)

I have been everywhere, and Im sure most people has been screwed somewhere.. But the only good feedback I hear is from Jakes Performance in Mitchell

Evo are a bunch of ass monkeys, the told me id blown two pistons... the engines finally been stripped, and theres nothing too wrong with it (one minor burn mark, so im replacing the pistons anyway), but in the end for those who know about my car going bang, the clutch snapped and the gearbox went bang.

Hey team dont post here but thought id put in my two bob.

Jake is the best in my opinion but you wont get your car in now till after December. I know cause I went in to see him today and thats when He could fit me in (bloody summernats).

Joe at skyline performance is also good, Ive had my clutch done by them and havent had any probs.

Canberra motorworks next to skyline performance is also very good with performance cars. I know that many of the engine rebuilds done at the performance shops in mitchell actually get done by these guys and then sent back to the shop.

But as Mose said when things get too hard many of these shops just get Jake to try and fix it.

In my HONEST opinion:

Find the right Monkey for the job

i.e: any decent mechanic can fit an intercooler but

not all can build a HIGH horsepower monster engine

with a guaranteed minimum HP rating!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things to ask yourself before handing your keys over:

1) Do they legally employ a registered mechanic?

If yes, what are their qualifications?

2) Do they own the right equipment or at least have access to it?

ie: DYNO, TUNING COMPUTERS, etc...

3) Are they fully insured against theft, fire etc of your vehicle?

and don't just believe them! Ask to see the paper!!!

4) Have they been in business for a decent amount of time?

with a good reputation (call consumer affairs for info on the

number of complaints)

5) If their is a dispute after the work is done, will they hold your

car for ransom!? Do them use bully tactics to extort money!?

6) If your going to be spending BIG dollars will they give you a

rough power figure and guarantee it? Like some Sydney tuners!!!

7) when they say it’ll be finished in 2 weeks, does this mean 0-14

days or 41 days or maybe 127 frigin days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know of one company in operation in the ACT which is an

Absolute JOKE!! Talk about “performance tuners” my asssss!!!

:skull: BE VERY CAREFUL PEOPLE!!! :skull:

From all the shops mentioned I have personally heard good and bad things about them, so it really depends what you need done.

I think we are fortunate to have choice of places in Canberra that can basically get all our shit and do a reasonable job for us at a reasonable price.

I'm sure you all know what the prices are like in Sydney.

You should take your cars where you feel the most comfortable with.

But I don't think we should name names or say one's better than the other because they are all good and they are all crap.;) ;)

• 5 weeks later...

john do you own a r33 white one. im the guy in the gtr that you were tryin to go wen your clutch blew n i pulled over to see wat happened... hahaha funny small world..but you really should let a clutch bed in, however this is not to say it wasnt a dodgey clutch!!! skylines are good in my opinion but jake is the best!!! GTRKING is spot on while im sure theres plenty of places that could build you a full house engine theres only one guy that i know i can trust every word that he speaks n that is jake, anyone can do an exhuast, intercooler, or turbo swap!!