SAU Community

Removing Sticker From Paint

chef_stagea

get a heat gun and a razor blade with rounded edges (saves scratching the paint). Heat it up and lift up a corner with the blade. Pull the rest of the sticker off.

Clean the sticky stuff off with the blade and some thinners or whit spirits.

If i remember ill bring a blade to the stagea cruise for you.

Im a detailer btw

Its the corners on a blade that does the scratching. Also depends how long and how good the sticker is on there. Company stickers are usually good quality and stuck on bloody good. Can always try getting under it with your fingernail first ofcourse

Edited by DayzRS4

cheers brett. im guna try the hair dryer trick i rekn. i had a bit of a crack with a little knift and it wasnt too bad ill deff have to cut and polish it after tho. its just a prick coz allt he letters are seperate like about 50 indervidual stickers :D lol

wax and grease remover is also your friend when doing this - thinners can take paint too.

ah ok nice ill try all these and c what works best... blue32 did i see your missus driving the m35 axis last sat? filling up in the evindale area was sooo nice!

DO NOT USE A BLADE ON YOUR PAINT !!!!! no matter how careful you are its going to stuff it up

or spirits, metho, laq thinnner , which can soften the paint or dull it bad.

use a rag soaked in wax and grease remover, it works a treat to remove the stickers and sticky stuff left. and yes when done wash the car/truck and rewax it , cause the remover strips off the wax.

this product wont destroy the paint like other stuff, UNLESS your removing graffitti from a spray can , which it work for as well. but factory or a proper paint job it wont harm the paint. but just take your time and keep the area soaked if possible, the sticker will come off no worries.

just be careful around some plastics, like the black moldings. it may affect some of them if left on for too long. wont hurt plastic bumpers

and watch out , it can dry out your skin , some people are sensitive to getting it on them. so you might want rubber gloves and good ventilation.

Edited by sapphiregraphics

Just to throw in another method I have used successfully before, spray sticker with windex or similar and cover with glad wrap overnight to soak through. Peel off next morning. MAde life a lot easier on the last car i had when the sticker was all crusty and old.

Remember, meth is alright, but don't use turps.... (i think)

if you're worried about the paint, try on small section first. :down:

i used a heat gun and plastic applicators ( putty ) to remove the factory stickers on the side of my wifes 4 door...... they came off but left a residue on the car that wont come off.. i've tried wax & grease remover, thinners, eucalyptus oil, hot soapy water, etc etc...... will be repainting the area after i sand it off me thinks..... :down:

i used a heat gun and plastic applicators ( putty ) to remove the factory stickers on the side of my wifes 4 door...... they came off but left a residue on the car that wont come off.. i've tried wax & grease remover, thinners, eucalyptus oil, hot soapy water, etc etc...... will be repainting the area after i sand it off me thinks..... :down:

Be careful heat guns will bubble paint up if left to long in one spot?, and if u had metho or other thinners vapours or rags out or around they could catch fire or explode ? most of those burn almost clear so it will be to late if they catch fire?

just the safety hint to those reading this?... a rag soaked in wax and grease and held up on the glue will remove it , its the same stuff the body shops use on trim, etc to clean off glue mess.