SAU Community

Todays Hypothetical

Cpt. Rock

BUT WAIT - THERE IS MORE.

Thoughts please - not emotional ones either :P

What will be better fo rme in the long term - ie money time and reliability.

sell my R33 GTST for a GTR - and then spend the money to get it up to 340KW etc etc

or

Keep my GTST and put an RB30 bottom end in it plus the all wheel drive (like the GTR- you know what I mean)

this is my pure business/cost decission - I like my skyline and its power - problem is getting that power down on the road (yes-saving up for federals too) - is it too much for just rear wheel drive - also the twin turbo aspect.

So - calculate - whats better value - more mods to make it LIKE a GTR with a lot of speed or buy a GTR and have to do a lot of engine mods on top of a GTR price tag.

Be glad to hear your thoughts (Hope I've explained what I'm thinking ok ?)

the GTR option would be the better choice. changing a GTS-t to have the GTR's AWD system would be the biggest f*ck around you could possibly imagine. you'd have swap over pretty much the whole suspension system too as having front axels means you need the GTR's setup not to mention the electonics as well!. because they are very different, your budget would definately blow out....

if your want to get more power to the ground for your GTS-t, then get yourself a mechanical LSD, sticky tyres, your suspension setup improved and learn to feed on the power rather than just planting your foot and wheel spinning! its a problem that all GTS-t owners have. even a moderately powered GTR will easily spin all 4 wheels in the dry!

keep the gtst the RB25DET is a really strong motor if you want to make 340rwkw just rebuild the motor with forgies and stuff and upgade the turbo and got your self an aftermarket ECU it will cost you around the 8-10k mark and you will make that power easy if you go for the RB30 bottom end you will easy make 400-450 rwkw.

i may have my facts wrong here but from wat i have herd thats all

plus keep it rear wheel drive and upgrade the diff and drive shaft as you might blow the diff also the RB30 bottom end from what i have herd isnt really reliable again i may be wrong.

if you are having problems with getting the power to the road change your suspension make the rear shocks softer if you have adjustables there will be a sweet spot that works for you with your current set up. i know they look cool low and bouncy but its f**ks the sub frame and also they handel like a dogs balls.

and as frink said feed the power just dont plant it. this can also f**k ya motor and cause knocking as they are very strong they still need to be looked after.

hope this helps

Edited by rossco_01

keep the gtst the RB25DET is a really strong motor if you want to make 340rwkw just rebuild the motor with forgies and stuff cost you around the 8-10k mark and you will make that power easy if you go for the RB30 bottom end you will easy make 400-450 rwkw

The RB25DET is actually not as strong internally as the RB20DET or RB26DETT (they're still a strong motor though).

My advice - get a GTR, dont bother trying to swap the running gear out of a GTR into a GTST its not worth the effort or large sums of cash when a GTR is a perfectly good base to start with.

Beware of GTR's though they're sensational cars to own, drive and modify but if you are going to modify it and have a budget - double it and if you have a time frame - triple it :)

What type of GTR would you go,32/33etc. But I would agree with Fink, Would be a lot of work to get the 4wd in. Mind you it would be cool to see a GTST turned GTR. Expence wise thou I,d say just buy a GTR. At least by doing that you get a pretty good package to start with, like Brembo brakes,the 2.6, etc, also the body difference, like the puffed out rear gaurds. If you go for a 33 GTR try for one after 95, as they had improved the version of the RB26, the Attasa ets all wheel drive system and super hicas all wheel steering. I guess it comes down to which car you really want. For the GTST your money will go mostly in putting in the AWD system, would be alot of hours in labour,

Thanks for all coments..

1) yes - have learnt the ways of the controlled / gentle foot - but interesting to hear the GTR comments

2) Yes - was asking to see what price tage it would take to get a GTR up to my GTST Power range

3) thanks for the RB thoughts also

4) I do feel strong about going for a GTR as you guys say "it's already a great base to start from" - rather than trying to get the GTST up to the levell playing field.

I was just thinking numbers first - ie (or is it chalk and cheese as they say)

a R33 GTR is what ? $25,000 ? with some mods ? (anyone)

I got my GTST for $14000 with around $25k spent on various enigine / supension and brakes etc.

so if you start comparing dollars - say, I'm ten grand in front already on price (then + all the mods too )

Do I spend and extra 11k just to get a GTR then have to spend (??) don't know how much to get it up to the GTST level (or is the GTR there already)

or

The engine is already done etc so I have 11k to get it up to the price of a GTR (if it's 25k) - is 11k worth of mods going to make it "as good as /or better than a GTR.

(there we go - I think I explained that).

Now - do I even open up the can of worms that is - which is the best GTR to go for ? R32 - R33 - R34 ETC

Some of us know a guy who’s put a 26 in to a GTS4 (4wd non-turbo 4 door) and just in that he’s well up in 30k in everything he’s done (and done all himself). To convert a gtst to 4wd and 26 it i recon you would be around the 100k mark...

if you were determined on going down this path why not make it interesting and make a HR31 2 door RB26DETT 4WD :D or vw beetle RB26DETT 4WD.

i think the next best thing to drifting is when you have a powerful rwd and your able to push right up to edge of traction and keep it there. 4wd is for wimps. ;)

if your want to get more power to the ground for your GTS-t, then get yourself a mechanical LSD, sticky tyres, your suspension setup improved and learn to feed on the power rather than just planting your foot and wheel spinning! its a problem that all GTS-t owners have. even a moderately powered GTR will easily spin all 4 wheels in the dry!

i think frinks on the money here.

This is way to serious for me, time to do something dumb.

*whistles* here boy, come here you little toilet brush...

Well as for which GTR is better I guess that depends on who you talk too. The R32 will always remain in the top of the ladder I think, more because of its history and of course its power to weight. Think the R32GTR weighed in at 1430kg, which made it awesome. And to have a engine that would make 500 hp in race trim with all wheel drive.There was nothing better, And its the car that gave us the name GODZILLA, thanks to the Australian motoring press. I could go on and on. Otherwise I guess it comes down to what ya want it for. I'd like a 33GTR simply because I prefer the inside look, bit more updated looking than the 32, and there are a couple of improvments on the 33 than the 32. But thats me. I,d like a 34 too but much out of my price range for that one. If your only going for something as a race car and dont care how it looks,32 for sure. As for your other question in which way to go with your car, Well I,d probably still just get a GTR, Seems alot less of a headache for ya. I understand about the power situation, but hey, I,ve heard people getting 800hp out of a RB26 without even touching the bottom end, was all just bolt on stuff. Thats pretty dam good I think. So either buy a GTR and wait till you have money again for the power that you want,OR keep yours and hope you wont have to get a loan just to finish the job of the fitment of the AWD system. Then you'll also have engineering certificates to think about. Hope this helps ya in some way.

Keep your GTS-T and thrash it and buy a 32 GTR stockie if you can find one and keep it in original condition.

I only say this because I've got my 33 gts-t which i use a a daily which I've spent stupid amounts of money on and treat like a bitch but I'm looking at a 32 GTR to keep standard, to look at it parked in the garage, drive on weekends, look at it parked in the garage, clean it when it doesn't need it and finally, look at it parked in the garage.

My 2 cents.

MLR

Ive got both, love driving both... but to be honest, the GTR, although almost stock (Tein coilovers is about it) is a sensational driving car and although I love driving the GTST, it doesn't shape up anywhere as good to drive as the GTR. GTR handles like a dream. For track, no comparison at all, GTR all the way.

Remember that R32's are an old car now. There can be lots of parts getting tired and breaking, especially if your chasing numbers over 300rwkw.

An engine rebuild on a GTR may be possible for about $7-10 grand however its really easy for it to blow out to double that.

I bought an R32 GTR just over a year a go. Its been off the road for 11 months undergoing a full engine rebuild and the price stacks up pretty quick.

Sometimes it better to stick with a car that you know, and know what needs fixing. Selling and buying again is running the risk of buying someone elses problems.

If you want 4wd however, get a GTR. As Michelle said, you will never beat the handling of a GTR without spending HUGE amounts of cash.

- Pete

Edited by noakespg

Depends what your final goal is...what the car will be used for..

Do you just want 340kw at all 4 instead of at the rear? I don't think that's too hard too achieve from a GTR..

I say start with a GTR, which one is totally your own personal opinion.