SAU Community

Rx7's...what May I Need To Know?

DNGRUS

Screw it Ferah get a push bike not only will you save a butt load of money imagine the millage you'd get!...haha having never driven one, i've heard Wankel engines are something else to drive, suppose to be the smoothest engines, let us know how your test drive goes

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also 1 thing with owning a Rotary... once you have one, it'll will never leave you. It will be in your blood, they have a way to get under your skin no matter how much you spend on it and how much might let you down. You will never have as much fun with a normal piston engine as you will with a Rotary!!!

+1

About 8 years ago I had an RX-4 coupe. NA 13B and made only 105rwkw but it was a blast. And the buzz!! :blink:

It blew after 3 months because it had a cheap rebuild done on it (I didn't check the receipts properly) and then got a series 4 import engine put in which probably had about 100k on it. Survived another 50,000 being thrashed!

Probably cost less than a GT-R to maintain, although it was quite a headache at times, but boy it was fun. I still have dreams about it!

:D:blink:

step it up a notch Ferah, GTT to GTR , its the way god planned it

i just LoL'd hahaa

I changed my mind again, i just found an r34 gtt... i cant help myslef...

i no going from an r34 gtt to an r33 gtr is an upgrade...but it jst feels like a down grade to me for some stupid unknown reason lol..maybe its coz i love r34s so much.. so ill see how i go with this gtt... I wont have it for long anyway as i plan to own an r34gtr mid-next year hopefully..

but thnx for all the rx7 tips, its sure put me off owning one...thats y i have decided to stick to what i know

just get 1 man wat have you got to lose? your obviously over skylines so you keep selling em...

fark gtr its just another skyline

FD rx7 over any skyline anyday! even in stock they look and drive better than most modded japs

make up your mind for yourself

Also 1 thing with owning a Rotary... once you have one, it'll will never leave you. It will be in your blood, they have a way to get under your skin no matter how much you spend on it and how much might let you down. You will never have as much fun with a normal piston engine as you will with a Rotary!!!

Yep so true! I could never sell my one, and if I had the room I'd buy another one!

just get 1 man wat have you got to lose? your obviously over skylines so you keep selling em...

fark gtr its just another skyline

FD rx7 over any skyline anyday! even in stock they look and drive better than most modded japs

make up your mind for yourself

ur an idiot lol

then y r u driving an r34?

ur an idiot lol

then y r u driving an r34?

for my budget it was the best bang for $$$

but when talking 25K+ its a different story.

people always seem to listen to -ve feedback from non owners rather than +ves from actual owners

either way...

Get on ausrotary and do a bit of research and you'll be amazed at what you find. Get the facts from the guys that own and run them, not from a bunch of skyline owners who only know about them through hearsay.

All mazda rotarys will burn oil because they all have an oil metering pump which takes a small amount of the oil from the sump and injects it into the housing to help lubricate the motor. Some guys remove this and just mix in a 2-stroke solution every time they fill the car up. This is why it's very important to use a mineral based oil rather than a fully synthetic oil in a rotary, the oil needs to be able to burn properly and a 100% synthetic blend just won't burn and can cause issues with the engines.

The 100k rebuild is a myth, there are guys in the USA on the rx7club forums who get much more than 100,000 miles out of their engines before needing a rebuild. If you treat the engine like a piston motor, hammer it before letting it heat up, let it over heat, don't do regular servicing and use the wrong parts on it, of course it's going to give you a headache. But if you treat them properly you'll have no problems what so ever. And as previously mentioned, if you are going to get it rebuilt, go to a reputable engine builder. They didn't get those reputations over night and these guys know their shit and will take care of you.

I had a s1 rx7 with a 12a extend port with a webber carb and the motor never gave me any issues. I'd taken it to the track and drifted it and given it a had thrashing and never had an issue. But that's only becuase I took care of it and kept a carefull eye on my temps.

i just LoL'd hahaa

I changed my mind again, i just found an r34 gtt... i cant help myslef...

i no going from an r34 gtt to an r33 gtr is an upgrade...but it jst feels like a down grade to me for some stupid unknown reason lol..maybe its coz i love r34s so much.. so ill see how i go with this gtt... I wont have it for long anyway as i plan to own an r34gtr mid-next year hopefully..

but thnx for all the rx7 tips, its sure put me off owning one...thats y i have decided to stick to what i know

damn you ! im waiting till i got a house before i pick up my dream car (r34gtr) and your gonna get one right after your p's

puts me to shame ! can i borrow it on weekends ?

My brother bought a brand new RX 8 and the Mazda dealer literally gave him a small bottle of engine oil and tell him to monitor the oil as the renesis engine will burn oil FROM NEW...

If that oil burning phenomenon has started to occur since the engine was new, imagine if you're buying a used RX 7, how good do you know the previous owner in maintaining the engine, and topping up the oil when needed ?

You never know.

Nevertheless they are great car, but you need to be prepare to maintain it properly, I mean this car is not some kind of an old corolla.

Are you aware that a rotary engine has an autolube system that injects oil into the rotor housings to lubricate the internals????Do your home work before spouting shit all over the place......Rotaries are not for everyone.....but they are great...I have one in our delivery ute that has 250,000klms on it....Its only been pulled apart to be ported about 5,000klms ago....then reassembled using the same internals...The RX8 engines have an over fuelling problem that cause the engine to carbon up....Mazda were originally replacing the engines under warranty but realised that real problem and now run a decarbon solution through the engine,then its fixed.I have built and owned rotaries for years and never killed one...problem is when dick heads get hold of them they get a bad rep

Get on ausrotary and do a bit of research and you'll be amazed at what you find. Get the facts from the guys that own and run them, not from a bunch of skyline owners who only know about them through hearsay.

All mazda rotarys will burn oil because they all have an oil metering pump which takes a small amount of the oil from the sump and injects it into the housing to help lubricate the motor. Some guys remove this and just mix in a 2-stroke solution every time they fill the car up. This is why it's very important to use a mineral based oil rather than a fully synthetic oil in a rotary, the oil needs to be able to burn properly and a 100% synthetic blend just won't burn and can cause issues with the engines.

The 100k rebuild is a myth, there are guys in the USA on the rx7club forums who get much more than 100,000 miles out of their engines before needing a rebuild. If you treat the engine like a piston motor, hammer it before letting it heat up, let it over heat, don't do regular servicing and use the wrong parts on it, of course it's going to give you a headache. But if you treat them properly you'll have no problems what so ever. And as previously mentioned, if you are going to get it rebuilt, go to a reputable engine builder. They didn't get those reputations over night and these guys know their shit and will take care of you.

I had a s1 rx7 with a 12a extend port with a webber carb and the motor never gave me any issues. I'd taken it to the track and drifted it and given it a had thrashing and never had an issue. But that's only becuase I took care of it and kept a carefull eye on my temps.

Promote that man!!! :P

Are you aware that a rotary engine has an autolube system that injects oil into the rotor housings to lubricate the internals????Do your home work before spouting shit all over the place......Rotaries are not for everyone.....but they are great...I have one in our delivery ute that has 250,000klms on it....Its only been pulled apart to be ported about 5,000klms ago....then reassembled using the same internals...The RX8 engines have an over fuelling problem that cause the engine to carbon up....Mazda were originally replacing the engines under warranty but realised that real problem and now run a decarbon solution through the engine,then its fixed.I have built and owned rotaries for years and never killed one...problem is when dick heads get hold of them they get a bad rep

And this man!!! :(

I always thought Wankel Engines were more reliable due to their design, less parts, simpler, less things to go wrong....

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA you said WANK!!!!

anyway...........

nice looking cars, but i too have heard bad things about the rotary engines........stick with skyline or supra :P

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA you said WANK!!!!

anyway...........

nice looking cars, but i too have heard bad things about the rotary engines........stick with skyline or supra :P

Thats the problem right there again.....Ive also heard skyline engines blow up

Edited by ylwgtr2

its just like any other car..... but make sure its has been maintained well, an you maintain it well, an you wont have any probs

I WOULD HAVE TO DISAGREE

+1 to that

Love the sound of a worked rotory engine

In theory yes, but a lot more money has been put into design piston engines. Rotaries have other issues too, like seals and shit.

I actually don't know much about them either, but the design is just so much smarter, you can't help but be attracted.

And they look sexy as hell! I wish i bought an RX7. Too many 33 GTS-t's around now.

+1 to that

Love the sound of a worked rotory engine

Mmmmmm N/A 20b! AWESOME!!!!!!

A 20b triple fotor from a cosmo will chew an RB to bits! strap on another rotor for a quad and you pretty much got the engine out of the 787b.

If you plan on hitting the skidpan for donut duties though, keep an eye on the temps as they heat up something chronic with no air flow!

But fark they sound good!