SAU Community

Question About Qld Defect Rules...

p_stew

Hey. I just moved up to Brisbane from NSW and I was wondering what the defect rules are on 2 intake mods and BOVs? Aswell, if anyone can recomend an exhaust shop in Brisbane that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, welcome to sunny brissy where it thunder storms every second day and floods my garage.

A far as I know, if you box in the pods so they're sealed you'll be ok, bov's need to plumb back with afm. Just keep the car away from the gold coast on weekends if you're treading a fine line. I got pulled over heaps of time with my bluey with pod, atmo bov and autronic only question raised was my lack of interior trim which I was told to put back in as soon as you can if you please. Cops seem to book you here more on attitude, so be courteous and honest if you're pulled over, most of the ones I've dealt with have shown an interest in the car, making sure it wasn't stolen and i wasn't on the turps.

Oh yeah, exhaust shops. CES in meadowbrook is expensive and top quality. If you're northside you could try rob bliss in geebung, and cleveland way try the muffler shop (used to be wooloongabba but moved recently) Or just go for a drive down moss st in slacks creek.

your only allowed one intake mod.

NEVER heard of that before. I don't beleive it to be true either.

As mentioned, pods have to be firmly secured by a bracket (zip ties arnt safe apparently). You do not need a heat shield for pods in QLD however its better for you to have one as youll get lower intake temps.

BOVs have to be plumbed back. You are allowed dual ports as long as one side is plumb back and it is set to that on the street. Despite common beleif they arn't illegal due to emissions but rather making unessecary noise.

Any questions you can call the Queensland Transport modifications line on 3253 4851

NEVER heard of that before. I don't beleive it to be true either.

As mentioned, pods have to be firmly secured by a bracket (zip ties arnt safe apparently). You do not need a heat shield for pods in QLD however its better for you to have one as youll get lower intake temps.

BOVs have to be plumbed back. You are allowed dual ports as long as one side is plumb back and it is set to that on the street. Despite common beleif they arn't illegal due to emissions but rather making unessecary noise.

Any questions you can call the Queensland Transport modifications line on 3253 4851

True words that- pod must also by dry-type.

If too much induction noise can be attributed to the pod then it will be classed as a defect also.

Exhaust is 92.2Db at 4000RPM@6m-this needs to be checked as not 100%- about 95% sure tho

As to the legality of BOV- atmospheric venting which is unfiltered is illegal in Qld.

Due to;Air from BOV or Air Bypass Valve contains a small percentage of highly pressurized recirculatory gases from breather & Turbo charger which are fed back into the intake & may contain unburnt engine gases,oils, vapours, etc and therefor Atmo's are in contradiction with Vehicle Emisions standards & the EPA Act.

Great advice to ring Qld Transport tho-bravo on that 1- complete with ph# :D

other great advice up there is be polite & helpful even if your pissed off- if you aren't then you will find out the definition of an 'Attitude Adjuster' in the Qld police vocabulary lol

Yes but theres no emissions testing for it. You get done for it because of noise.

It's also not 92.2DB it's 90db for stationary cars and 77/78(depeding on car) for a vehicle in motion. This is of course under test conditions. You can read about it and all the testing methods at http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislatio...FRLI+Mar+06.pdf

Other ADR info http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/mot...adr_online.aspx

Edit: Also im not sure about that dry type pod filter thing.

Yes but theres no emissions testing for it. You get done for it because of noise.

It's also not 92.2DB it's 90db for stationary cars and 77/78(depeding on car) for a vehicle in motion. This is of course under test conditions. You can read about it and all the testing methods at http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislatio...FRLI+Mar+06.pdf

Other ADR info http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/mot...adr_online.aspx

Thanks for posting the correct noise levels, respec

Cheers guys, really good information.

Im originally from Canada and we dont have any rules like the ones here. We only have a db rule on exhaust, have to pass emissions and safety test so all this is new to me. Ive been down in Sydney the last 2 years trying to find out everything I could but the RTA is not as helpfull as one might think. I already have a turbo back exhaust and fmic, I even got the exhaust real quite and stealth just to avoid attention. Ive heard the rules are a lot more leanient here and love the sound of a real deep exhaust with a BOV, I know the BOV does little to none for power but love the sound. So Im thinking bout gettin a cannon on the back of the exhaust and the BOV and would love any suggestions on either.

Thanks again

f**k these rules are bullshit, fair enough if it impacts on safety but shit like bov noise and induction noise is f**ked in the head. just because some stupid old lady or some retard gets distracted on the road by noise if they are that bad then they should be on the road. makes me f**king angry when there are a million times worse things in the world that need attention.

sorry for off topic but on topic dont all mods need engineer cert now?

What really shits me to tears is that you could be pulled over for exhaust noise and a Harley goes past on 1/4 throttle and is SOOOO noisy, but the cops do nothing. I don't think I have ever seen a Harley that would be under the 90dB level. Most are over 100dB!!!

What really shits me to tears is that you could be pulled over for exhaust noise and a Harley goes past on 1/4 throttle and is SOOOO noisy, but the cops do nothing. I don't think I have ever seen a Harley that would be under the 90dB level. Most are over 100dB!!!

+1 FOR THAT!

I think from memory bikes can be a little louder, but cops just dont bother with them, alot of the time because of possible affiliations and therefore repercutions...

It sucks...

• 10 months later...

what do the cops look for?

Loose pod filters. Has to be secured to body.

Screamer pipes.

Exhaust Db.

BOV is recirculating.

oil drips/leaks

Gauges above the dash line.

Carbon fibre bonnets.

They are the ones I have been checked for 3 times in the last 6 months.