SAU Community

Help - Correct Tire Sizes For 20's On V35 Coupe

After doing countless hours of research or rims and tyres i finally bit the bullet and purchased a set of work varianza t1s for the v35 coupe in 20x9.5 front and 20x11 rear with +25 offsets all round for bembro clearance and maximum lip. Only problem now is i cant find suitable tyres here in syd (without spending a fortune anyway). I decided to go with the falken fk452 all round as i can get them for $350 a corner fitted an balanced and have heard nothing but good things about these. However i cant get the sizes i want. Ive been told 255/30/20 and 285/30/20 is the way to go and after doing my own research including tire size/wheel calculators etc i found these sizes to be the best for not rubbing the guards (by the way im lowered on tein s-tech's and have rear camber kit and rear guards rolled) and they are also the best for being the closet to the stock wheel/tyre diameter. But i can only get the fronts in 245/35/20 and my tire shop said this should be fine?? im just worried that with these being slightly taller by about 2% that my front guards will rub and that 245's will look to stretched on a 9.5in rim. I can purchase the 255/30's in nankangs for considerably less then the Falkens but i would prefer to have all 4 tyres the same. Appreciate any help or opinions! cheers!

Edited by jonnnsyr33

255/30/20 and 285/30/20 sounds about right. I use 245/35/19 & 275/35/19 on the 19s....

I reckon 245 is on the minimum side for 9.5" wide rims. it may still be legal depending on how your sidewall reacts, but for extra rim protection, try at least 255 or 265.

I had my front 245 on 8.5" wide and there's hardly any sidewall protection, I would imagine on a 9.5" 245 will look a bit stretched (unless you want a JDM style VIP look)

255/30/20 and 285/30/20 sounds about right. I use 245/35/19 & 275/35/19 on the 19s....

I reckon 245 is on the minimum side for 9.5" wide rims. it may still be legal depending on how your sidewall reacts, but for extra rim protection, try at least 255 or 265.

I had my front 245 on 8.5" wide and there's hardly any sidewall protection, I would imagine on a 9.5" 245 will look a bit stretched (unless you want a JDM style VIP look)

nah im not a big fan of the stretch look at all. but even 285 on an 11in rim will be a tad stretched so maybe a 245 on a 9.5 will look similar. I could just be patient and wait until someone stocks the 255/30's but i really want these rims on :)

After doing countless hours of research or rims and tyres i finally bit the bullet and purchased a set of work varianza t1s for the v35 coupe in 20x9.5 front and 20x11 rear with +25 offsets all round for bembro clearance and maximum lip. Only problem now is i cant find suitable tyres here in syd (without spending a fortune anyway). I decided to go with the falken fk452 all round as i can get them for $350 a corner fitted an balanced and have heard nothing but good things about these. However i cant get the sizes i want. Ive been told 255/30/20 and 285/30/20 is the way to go and after doing my own research including tire size/wheel calculators etc i found these sizes to be the best for not rubbing the guards (by the way im lowered on tein s-tech's and have rear camber kit and rear guards rolled) and they are also the best for being the closet to the stock wheel/tyre diameter. But i can only get the fronts in 245/35/20 and my tire shop said this should be fine?? im just worried that with these being slightly taller by about 2% that my front guards will rub and that 245's will look to stretched on a 9.5in rim. I can purchase the 255/30's in nankangs for considerably less then the Falkens but i would prefer to have all 4 tyres the same. Appreciate any help or opinions! cheers!

Hey..that sounds pretty tough.. i dont know whether this will help.. but i have 20x8.5 fronts and 20x10 rears. On the front i have 245/35 and i didnt like the look because it has too much tyre (meaning that if i got a 245/30 they would have been perfect). Having said that i think they would look perfect on 20x9. Not sure whether you will be over stretching them, but on the other had i have a friend of mine running 19x9.5 on 235/40 and 19x10.5 on 265/35 JDM style. They look good appart from the scratches on the rim..

fronts can handle 245/30/20's without a problem unless you have lowered your car or thinking of lowering then go 235/30/20 which i have , rears you cant go 285 without guard rolling (when lowering) if you have lowered it without rolling your guard you can fit 275/30/20 rears without a problem no scraps no bloody annoying platis rubs etc.. after having owned dunlops i went for kumohs kr19s (semi track tires) am i suprised ! these things grip like nothing else ! softer compound around about 290-320 each .. from stylish wheels... as his the khumo stockists

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just wondering with all these big wheels and different tyre sizes, does it affect VDC and will it muck up the computer so VDC kicks in at the wrong times (or too often)?

I've been told to stick within 5% factory tyre sizes to avoid VDC issues (?!!)

Edited by Wilby

VDC only kicks in when you loose traction, I think as long as the increase in rear to front tyres are proportional to standard sizes, don't think that will be an issue. If you have an AWD like GTR, you will need all 4 tyres with exactly the same size to ensure that the VDC system didn't detect speed difference between from and rear and thinking the car has lost traction.